Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Conjunctivitis in Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by vanessaw200, Sep 2, 2013.

1. vanessaw200

vanessaw200 PetForums Junior

My dog has very gloopy eyes, he's eye is full of mucous/gloop that I clean it every morning, sometimes it's so bad that his eye looks like it got a covering over it. His eye looks like it's swimming in mucous sometimes.

I know that dogs can get grotty eyes ie as a saying I've heard before, get bogey eyes

A vet job or wait and see??

2. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

Vet asap id say.

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I would never wait and see, I either treat mild conjunctivitis myself, or take them to the vets if I don't think it's something that will clear up with a milder treatment, and that they may need something a bit stronger, ie prescription medicine.

4. TangoTerrierist

TangoTerrierist PetForums Junior

I've had a dog with conjunctivitis before. It was straight to the vets and all that was needed was a few days of eye drops and all was well.

I'd never leave an eye untreated. The potential for damage to the eye/vision is too great.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its worth taking him and getting it checked could be something simple but dogs can suffer from dry eye, meaning that they don't produce enough tears, to wash away debris and bacteria and keep the eye moist enough. That in turn can lead to gunky eyes and persistent or re-occurring eye infections.

Its a simple enough test takes a few minutes in the surgery to test his tear production is adequate. Some breeds do tend to suffer with it more then others too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice