Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Conic Infection £800 and one year a far worst

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by waynexk8, Apr 26, 2011.

1. waynexk8

waynexk8 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

My dog had a small red area about the size on a five pence, then went to the size on this photo after a few weeks going to the Vet, that was about a year ago, after about £800 of Antibiotics its healed nearly where it started, but its spread, and about four times bigger, will post another photo.
    The Vets say it’s a Conic Infection, and he’s on Antibiotics and Medcam. I mean I would have not mind paying so much if it had got rid of the problem, but after all this time and money its four times worst. PLEASE any suggestions ???

Wayne

Attached Files:

2. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

I am sorry that I have no advice to give you except after a tear and loads of money, you are no further forward. Please get another opinion from a different vet.

3. Hi & welcome to PF. Sorry I can't be much help as really don't know why it is getting worse but didn't want to read and run. Mabe the diognosis was wrong. Getting another opinion from a different vet might be a good Idea.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Has your vet ever changed the type of antibiotics or just given you the same ones every time? If he has then you may need a change to a different type of antibiotic the infection may be resistent now. Also has he ever done a swab of the infected area and sent it off to the lab to be cultured to find out the exact type of bacteria infection present. Certain types of bacteria only respond to certain types of antibiotics. You can actually get fungal infection too, so thats a consideration, either started off as fungal with a secondary bacterial infection or the other way round. Antibiotics wont work if there is fungal infection there too. While infection is present the skin cant heal, thats probably why it isnt getting better. If he hasnt done any tests to find out exactly what it is and has just been giving antibiotics, maybe its time to ask.

Also does your dog lick at it? Dogs have a habit of turning what started as a scratch or a small area, into a "deep crater" in no time.

Has he ever tried dressing the wound or just always left it open? There are certain topical creams that can help with healing and granulation like Intrasite Gel, and Dermisol cream. The Dermisol aid healing by removing dead tissue and necrotic tissue from the area. The Intrasite helps healing in a similar way. However it all depends on getting rid of whats causing the infection in the first place. If the swab and culture come up with nothing, then the only other thing I can think of is maybe a skin biopsy if all else fails and it still doesnt heal.

5. waynexk8

Thx for all the replys, will reply in full tomorrow and post the other photo, but have to go to a Birthday party tonight.

Wayne

6. waynexk8

Photo.

Wayne

Attached Files:

7. Sled dog hotel

Poor dog it has spread hasnt it, just looked back at the other pic you posted.
    If he hasnt already then I would ask your vets to do some more tests, or if he is at a loss, then you can ask to be reffered to a dermatologist, the insurance should cover it if he is insured.

8. waynexk8

Hi there all, and big thx for all the posts and help, not just this one, thank you all.

And the funny thing is that it seems to be healing a bit. As the new photo I will show you is of the spread, but tomorrow I will take another photo again to show the difference in roughly 7 days.

Yes they have once changed the antibiotics, but did not know that the infection could become resilient to them. And yes again, they did take a biopsy and send it away, just in case it was cancer they said, it was not, but they did not tell me much else about the results, will ask again.

You say fungal infection, hmm, will ask on that as well.

Yes he does lick it, and that’s not helping, I do bandage it up, but as he’s quite a big strong Dalmatian, he does not take long to get it off, but done it very good yesterday, and it was on for just over 24 hours.

I have Fuciderm Gel, have started using that more.

Thx again for you great help.

Wayne

9. waynexk8

Just waiting for my post to be moderated, so hes a photo of Splash.

Wayne

Attached Files:

10. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Oh dear - that paw looks sore! poor dog.

Don't have anything to add to the others I'm afraid but I just wanted to say that I hope this gets better soon.

11. Sled dog hotel

If you find that bandaging does seem to help it heal, there is something called anti-lick strips, looks like a plaster, and they are impregnated with deterents to stop gnawing and pulling off the bandage, havent used them personally so cant confirm how well it works, but they are not wildly expensive and might be worth a try? I think you maybe able to get them in pets at home. You do put them over the bandage though not applied direct to the wound.

Anti-Lick Strip

On the fuciderm gel, you would need to double check me as Im not 100% on this one but I think its the one with steroid in it as well as antibiotic. If Ive remembered rightly I have a feeling your not supposed to use steroid cream on broken skin (perhaps someone can confirm this?) They do one called Fucidin I think ointment and cream and thats the one that is antibiotic only.
    If you have the leaflet, it might be worth double checking just in case, as I said I may be wrong though.

12. Sled dog hotel

Just looked up Fuciderm, as I said I was going from memory before, I found a canadian veterinary drugs website, (although I should think Fuciderm is the same world wide just double check to make sure on leaflet) but it does say it includes a corticosteroid as well as antibiotic.

It also says corticosteroids may delay wound healing and also the immuno suppresent action may weaken resistance or exacerbate existing infection.

It also says in Viral skin infection it may worsen or hasten progression, which is something I hadnt thought of, that it could be viral skin infection, in which case antibiotics wouldnt work either.

It also says if withing 3 days use, there isnt an improvement of looks worse discontinue use.

13. waynexk8

Hi and a BIG thx for all the help, will get back in full later, as I see the Vet today.

Wayne

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice