UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940’s, 50’s, 60’s, and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn’t get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren’t overweight because……

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo’s, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms……….WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents ..

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Hehe! I have read this before but i was born in 1986 so i wouldn't know :lol: :lol:

Having said that, my Gran (my second mum) was born in 1925 and my Dad in 1954 so they tell me some ''horror'' stories.........i mean no FRIDGES or WASHING MACHINES or TUMBLE DRYERS etc :scared: :eek:

·
Gobsh!te
7,128 Posts
Hehe! I have read this before but i was born in 1986 so i wouldn't know :lol: :lol:

Having said that, my Gran (my second mum) was born in 1925 and my Dad in 1954 so they tell me some ''horror'' stories.........i mean no FRIDGES or WASHING MACHINES or TUMBLE DRYERS etc :scared: :eek:
my grandad tells me about the times before mobiles!! :scared: :eek: i was born in 88 so know nothing of these things :)

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
i was born in 1988 but a lot of that is still true to me too :D

i think peopple born then were lucky *nods*

·
Registered
7,600 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The ressy = reservoir, and in the river and cannal. My dads work van had sliding front doors so we could ride in the front with no seatbelts and the doors open
I remember that is was quite common for kids and dog to travel in the back of a pick-up truck if your friend's dad was lucky enough to own one.

You'd sit there feeling the wind in your hair and waving to all the drivers going past.

Great days!

This calls for a new thread...

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
The ressy = reservoir, and in the river and cannal. My dads work van had sliding front doors so we could ride in the front with no seatbelts and the doors open
Ahhh i get it now!!
I remember that is was quite common for kids and dog to travel in the back of a pick-up truck if your friend's dad was lucky enough to own one.

You'd sit there feeling the wind in your hair and waving to all the drivers going past.

Great days!

I once had a lift with my friend to our new flat when i was 18, in a pick up truck! The sofa was in the back and we sat on that :eek: thank goodness the police never passed! :lol:

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
i remember going to the zoo but there were too many of us for the one car so me, being the youngest, was just dumped in the boot.

i also remember dad taking us out for the day and just shoving us in the back of the van, my sister and i were rolling around on top of each other so we kept fighting - never had as many bruises since :lol:

·
Registered
27,670 Posts
I was born in 58 and boy when I was old enough to play out the front did I love it, Rollerskating, Hoola Hooping, Skipping with rope, Jumping Spring shoes, joined up elastic bands to make a big circle, two of my mates would put their feet inside the circle and bring it up around their ankles and I would play stretch skip and jump, wow what fun. Then there was my Chopper bike with ribbons, Playing with 3 balls up against the front of my house, chalking on the pavements and playing hopscotch, and best of all KNOCK DOOR GINGER..........knock on someones front door and run away and hide and watch them come to the door lolololo, black and white tele with only 3 channels, BBC1, Harlech Wales, BBC2. nothing else, it was so boring but we didnt think that at the time. I loved it when I was a kid and would love to go back in time to when I was that age again to have some REAL FUN> all FREE aswell. We all MADE our own fun back in them days. I loved it so much.
SAFE to play out the front of your house. Talk to strangers without fear, Scared out of our witts when we saw a bobby on the beat. But worse of all, i had to be in the house at 6pm every night. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
These are really good threads ive been on the other one on here this morning and its amazing to hear how different things are i was born i 1962 when children could be children "accident" were just that, an "accident" with no one to blame so was allowed to learn by it, now everything is always someone elses fault.

·
Registered
632 Posts
so brillant reading this thread , i love it !!! But i thought i was the only one making mud pies (for the burglars lol. ) Also remember standing waving to people in cars and whoever got the most waves was the winner!!! Dont even wanna begin to think what would happen if kiddies tried that nowadays .

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

Great days!

I was one of them !!!! yes great days.... i can remember making dens, and fires...coming home with soot up my nose and down my ears.
Playing tracking.....knock door run...colecting bottles and getting 2 pence for the return....where did it all go wrong.:lol:

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
I was one of them !!!! yes great days.... i can remember making dens, and fires...coming home with soot up my nose and down my ears.
Playing tracking.....knock door run...colecting bottles and getting 2 pence for the return....where did it all go wrong.:lol:
Exactly where did it all go wrong, what happened to change society into what it is today dont get me wrong ime all for change and moving on technology wise and all that but the respect and trust in people is what i mean, why cant kids do what we used to do anymore wht did change all that. Ive got my own ideas but that would be maybe for another thread i dont know.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Fabbie post, Welsh crazy I was born in 58 and you just reminded me of the elastic game it was great. Iwas thinking my dad used to send me off riding on a just broken pony at 14, with a crappy saddle and bridle as we couldnt afford anything else and I used to go miles, without a mobile. Every time u fell off there was no sympathy just get back on or hes got the better of you and I.d be crying but do as I was told no arguing. we would always be filthy dirty with soaking feet from welly bootfulls but I condider myself very, very lucky to have the values Ive got from my parents.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Exactly where did it all go wrong, what happened to change society into what it is today dont get me wrong ime all for change and moving on technology wise and all that but the respect and trust in people is what i mean, why cant kids do what we used to do anymore wht did change all that. Ive got my own ideas but that would be maybe for another thread i dont know.
start a new post hun :thumbup: would love to know what you think :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940’s, 50’s, 60’s, and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn’t get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren’t overweight because……

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo’s, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms……….WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents ..

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn’t had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
I knew i was special:thumbup: :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.