Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Confusion, need help?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Inca's Mum, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

:blink:

Okay. Well I'm on the waiting list for a rejected guide dog pup that doesn't pass it's training but there is a 6 month old lab in my area that is free to a good home and my mum found out about it and she knows how much I want a dog but it's only housetrained.

The guide dog people said (today when we rang) that it could be tomorrow, next week, next month, whenever that we could get a phone call.

Any ideas on what I should do?

As much as I'd like two, not possible :001_tt2:

#1 Inca's Mum, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Have 2 ;) take the one now then a playmate when the other one comes available.:D OOOO labs gorgeous.

3. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I wish! :(
    Seriously though, I need this advice it's killing me.

4. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I would take the one that is free to a good home. If there is a waiting list, that means that there is a demand for them. It would kill me to wait hehe :001_tt2:

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I agree take the one needing a home now

6. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Do you know why the free one is looking for a new home? if it has lots of probs could you cope with them ? whatever you choose good luck,hope to see pics on here.

7. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I would take the one that is free to a good home, even though it doesn't have much training. Labs are usually biddable dogs and respond quickly to training, take the one I'm looking after, he came a month ago with virtually no manners, now he can he has a reliable recall and several party tricks under his belt!
    The failed guide dog will easily find a new home.
    Tough choice, so do what you feel is right x

8. debsblair

debsblair PetForums Newbie

Hi, personally I would go for the dog that needs a home now. They will be a list for people that want the rejected guide dogs so if you do turn that down it will go to a good home. Take care, Debs x

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

This dog needs a home now, why not take him in?

10. animallover111

I would def go for it.....after all the dog is only 6 months old so still a pup,im a single parent with 5 dogs and two children aged 8 and 13 i get the kids involved with the dogs,we all go out walking with the dogs,having a dog is a great reason to go out as a family with the dog to the park etc,my 13yr old has started agility with one of the dogs,i can not imagine my home without dogs here.Good luck what ever you decide :)

11. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Just a bump, still not sure on what to do but have the number, what questions should we be asking when we visit (if we do)?

12. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

My first question would be why are they giving such a young pup up? I would also be tempted to look at his vet records etc. Have you made sure they still have him?

13. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

The dog is being rehomed due to a divorce so that there is no battles between who gets ownership.
    Anybody else have any opinions on what I should do? :confused:
    xx

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'd take the little chap needing a home now, as others have said, *failed* guide dogs have lots of people waiting to rehome them.

You need to ask if he's got any papers, health checks for Labs are Hip scores and current clear eye cert at least, with elbow grading, CNM and Optigen testing a plus, if his parents have had any/all of these it would be good to know. If they have an insurance policy it might well be worth asking if you can transfer it over, just in case he does have any problems (particularly with hips or elbows). At six months old he's got a bit of growing to do yet, and hopefully he won't have been over exercised, you'll have to continue with careful exercise with him, its no guarantee against them not developing a problem with their joints, but obviously you want to avoid anything that might initiate or exacerbate anything like that. Saying that, my bitch Tau was a nightmare for jumping up on and off things, running round like a giddy kipper and treating the house as her own personal wall of death, and she's got perfect 0/0 scored hips and 0 grade elbows, sometimes its just down to luck of the draw.

Although Labradors are lovely dogs, a lot of people take them on thinking they are easy, they might well be compared to some other breeds, but I wouldn't describe them as 'easy', they can be little b*ggas, just the same as any other dog. It would be worthwhile doing some sort of training with him, such as obedience, agility (once he's old enough), or even the gundog training, you don't have to compete at anything but occupying their minds is a good idea.

If you do manage to get some papers with him, including his KC registration post them and I'll see if I know anything about them; I won't know much in detail myself, but might be able to point you in the direction to research further.

Good luck!

alphadog likes this.
  15. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Okay so, a bit more information for you all, she is called Lucy and is up to date with all injections etc at the minute, don't know much else as of yet.
    Would you advice for us to spay her if we were to get her (once she is old enough of course)?
    xx

16. animallover111

I would recommend having any bitch spayed as soon as she is old enough,there are too many dogs already in rescues :)

17. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

As said definitley get her spayed. As you don't have to worry when taking her out for a walk when she is in season, worrying about male dogs harassing her etc. Plus it would make things a whole load easier! Oohhh if you get her lots of pics!!

18. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Yeah I'll be bombarding you all with plenty of pics! :D
    When does a bitch come into season earliest after birth?

19. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Well it varies but usually about 8-12 months old, well from what i have seen anyway :)

20. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

BUMP.

Hoping to get more information this week, if all goes well even get a visit but I'm just unsure on what we should be asking for when we visit. And also, would I be able to do obedience classes alone (I'm 13) or would I need somebody else to come along too?

If any help, we live with our garden backing onto the village's river, have a farm just across the river, fields to walk in 2 minutes walk from us, and also main roads.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice