Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Confused!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Happy_Life, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Happy_Life

Happy_Life PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, this is my first post as I decided after hours of looking online this would be the best place to go!.

I have almost 8 month old kitten who I love!
    She is my first pet that I have had as an adult & who I am solely responsible for.
    I want her to have best life possible & am confused as to whether there is anything else I could/should be doing. Everyone I know believes a few pouches of whiskas and leaving them outside to go to the toilet is all that is needed.

I have decided that lily will be an indoor cat as I had a cat run over when I was a child and it was horrific, I would feel better knowing she was safe inside.
    She has cat trees and toys but I do worry she may get bored as I am at work 8-5:30.

I currently feed her natures menu county Hunter pouches, I tried 3/4 pouches a day but she would not eat it all, currently she has 2 pouches which she doesn’t eat a lot of and a dry food left down all day to snack on although from what I’ve read dry food is not a good idea.
    She LOVED the whiskas she had at the house of the lady who I purchased her from but I just don’t want her to eat rubbish!

I am using catsan litter as a horror story of kittens eating clumping litter made be paranoid but if I’m honest it doesn’t look like it would be very comfy for her to walk on & whilst she always uses it I’d hate to think it wasn’t very nice for her.

Basically I am a little confused and I think becoming obsessed with doing the very best by her, I have been told I am overthinking things massively.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

Thankyou.

2. Dr.A

Dr.A PetForums Member

As someone who has gone from 0 to 3 cats all under a year old within the last year, I honestly can’t relate to how you feel.

You are right in thinking that the dry food is not very good for her. The fact that it’s down all day is probably the reason why’s she’s not eating all her wet food. I’d stop the dry and also slowly rotate in a few different brands of high animal protein grain free wet food. The sticky thread at the top of the forum is a good place to start.

Regarding litter I wouldn’t worry that an 8 month old would eat litter at her age. A good clumping litter, I use a Cats best litter personally.

l’ve also decided on keeping my 3 as indoor cats, and bored was a concern before I got anyone them. That’s why I decided to get a pair of kitten together initially. I realise not everyone can do this but they do tend to entertain each other when I can’t.

3. Happy_Life

Happy_Life PetForums Newbie

:p:p:D
    I did want to get a second but unfortunately as I live in rental accommodation I am unable to currently.

I will switch to a clumping litter, I did think perhaps this was me being too cautious! Even when she was little she didn’t appear to have any interest in eating it!

I forgot to mention, she doesn’t seem concerned about open/uncovered litter boxes as will use either but her ears appear to almost be touching the top of the box when I had a peek through the door, is the open option better for her? She has on occasion stood in her poop whilst burying so I wonder how much room she really has in there.

I will ditch the dry! Is she also likely to eat less if the food is of a better quality? It says 96% meat?!

Thankyou for you advice x

4. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

Dry food is poison. Don’t do it.
    Read this. It’ll help you navigate the feeding maze:

www.catinfo.org

She might get bored with you being out all day and boredom cat lead to stress, stress can cause diseases like FIC. Maybe you can get a camera to see what she is doing while you’re out. If she’s sleeping then all well and good. Otherwise a cat sitter to play with her could help now and then. Try Cat in a Flat for some ideas. Also read “Let’s talk about cats”, available on Amazon. It is great for understanding their behaviour.

5. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

Dry food is poison. Don’t do it.
    Read this. It’ll help you navigate the feeding maze:

www.catinfo.org

Think of fish oil supplements too for cats. Really helps their coat and general health.

She might get bored with you being out all day and boredom cat lead to stress, stress can cause diseases like FIC. Maybe you can get a camera to see what she is doing while you’re out. If she’s sleeping then all well and good. Otherwise a cat sitter to play with her could help now and then. Try Cat in a Flat for some ideas. Also read “Let’s talk about cats”, available on Amazon. It is great for understanding their behaviour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice