Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Confused

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Puppy love xx, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Puppy love xx

Puppy love xx PetForums Newbie

Hi every1 I've just became the new mum to a 9 week old pug does any1 no what's a good an cheap dog food (dry) I'm having trouble gettin royal canin xxxx:cryin:

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Skinners is reasonably priced and good quality, not sure if they do puppy versions though.

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

They do:

Skinners Dog Food | Puppy Food | Field & Trial

But some of the Skinners foods are alot better than others. Some is literally coated in a sugery syrup type substance which for me is a huge no no. I feed the Duck and Rice Hypoallergenic and to be honest wouldnt prob feeb any of their other cheaper varieties.

I would suggets the OP reads the dry dog food index - A sticky in the HEalth and Nutrition section.

There a traffic light system break down of dry foods with prices etc

A pug is a small dog so it should be feasible to feed a very good quality food for a reasonable price.

What kind of price are you thinkign of for say a 12 or 15 kg sack?

4. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Simpsons premium is probably your best bet for a good quality, cheaper dry food.
    Simpsons Premium - Complete Dry Dog Food

If you wanted to go cheaper still have a look at the CSJ range, champ is the cheapest @ only £11, but isn't terribly good quality! Although it is better than Wagg, Bakers and supermarket crap like that.
    Dog Food for gundogs, sheepdogs, agility dogs, and show dogs.

Please bear in mind that cheaper isn't always better, you and your dog may end up paying the price for having cheaper food e.g. poor coat, teeth, joints etc...
    and also more expensive doesn't mean better either! The science plan foods and royal canin are terribly expensive - £50 odd per sack, and often have high cereal content, low meat content and unwanted ingredients that seem to have no purpose.
    There are so many foods, so be careful what you choose!

5. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Plus cheaper foods you can end up feeding much larger quantities and picking up alot more the other side :eek:

6. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Oh yes, I forgot that!
    I would also say that for the Science Plan (expensive) Pippa was on as a pup, more mess, plus less solid! :eek:

7. tia maria

tia maria PetForums Member

I rate Skinners duck and rice, and so did Tia until we bought the second sack:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice