Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Confused!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, May 21, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Hi
    this might seem a silly question but I'll ask it anyway.
    I have bought a heatmat for in my whelping box(1week to go)and I know thanks to this forum I need to have my room between 70-80 in temp but if I got a heat lamp would I still need the mat or would lamp be enough and if I have lamp do I not need a radiator on in the room as this will consentrate on the whelp box only. I have also read about reflector shades instead of heat lamps as you cam change the wattage of the bulb if not needed as warm.

Getting to the stage want to make sure I do everything right so paranoia setting in!!!

2. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I think you will be ok with a heat mat only at this time of year, i would be carefull about puppies getting to hot, they should be warm to touch but if they get cold don't let them feed, warm again before feeding.

Hope that helps

3. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

With my summer litter, I didn't have heat lamps or heating on, in fact - we had fans going literally 24x7 - I just used the heatpads for when moving the pups away from mum / cleaning the whelping box etc.

Not sure which is harder really - keeping them warm in cold weather or ensuring they don't overheat in summer - I think winter just about wins it for me (or although not so funny for trying to start housetraining)

Good luck with your litter.

4. cav

cav PetForums VIP

I have pups at the moment and they are on vet bed with mum in the box and i have no heating or heat pad with them and they are fine and nice and warm to the touch i do put my snugglesafe pad in at night but they dont use it they get all there warmth of mum:thumbup:

5. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Thanks. Do you have a thermometer in box to give you idea of temp and if yes what temp does it say. When i leave thermometer in box it reads about 20. Remember I live in scotland so it is a bit chillier up here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice