Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Confused With Roles in Vet Care

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jul 10, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

A short while ago i posted about working in a vets. Im currently writing a letter to all my local vets to see if there is any work/chance of training etc
    However, im confused! Iv been looking on BNVA site which is great, and the course I would love to do is the Animal Nursing Assistant one. However, on a couple of other sites they mention Animal Care courses... Im assuming these are two different courses? Or are there two different courses, being Animal Nursing Assistant and Animal Care Worker/Assistant?

My query is, what do I put in the letter?! Im keen to work assisting the vet/nurse, and also day to day care of animals in the vets. But I dont want to write that I just want to work with the animals!

Sorry to ramble but im confused!

Thanks

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I belive its the same although i could be wrong! When you first start its maily just the care of the animals anyway then bit by bit they let you do more things!

I have a letter i have written to some vets that i could pass on to you via Pm for you to have a read of!? I was helped by a lady i worked with at the wildlife hospital she is the head nurse!

3. mr.stitches

That would be fabulous!

Im struggling, as I want to sound keen and enthusiastic, but dont want them to think that i see it as playing with animals and all cute and lovely!

Thank you x

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I will send it now! I had a great response from mine although when they spoke futhur to me and found out i couldnt drive yet didnt want to know :(

5. mr.stitches

Thats a bit cheeky of them....so where do you work now?

Im a nursery nurse at the moment, but really want a career change, or do be able to work with animals part time and do my playgroup work part time.

Id be more than happy to do the day to day care of the animals, start at the beginning then work up, including reception work. Its just such a hard area to get into...especially over here as its a small Island. Not many on Island training opportunities.

So I thought if I write some letters and just see what is about, maybe if nothing comes of it I could do some distance learning or something. I just feel I need to do something!

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I help out at the wildlife place non paid.I actually havent got a full time payed job:(
    I have sent you my letter but i have taken my adress and other things out of course :eek:

Univesity seems to be easier to get into for the nurse training if you have the grades!

7. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Ur ana course will result in a now recognised qualification.
    This course will be specific to veterinary practices. Where as the animal care courses will give u a good grounding in basic animal care and husbandry they will pretty much be geared towards a general type certificate suitable for petshops,kennels, and vet practices.
    I did animal care 2years, pre vn which is now not dis-similer to the ana course 1 year then rvn course 2 years.
    U do know currently (and this is a slight bone of contempt with many nurses) u dont nec need any qualifications to work as a "nurse"! in practice.
    Saying that I do no many people who work within the industry who have no qualifications but are suberb and extremly knowledgable and good at the job.
    U can also volunteer at local animal sanctuaries and if u get the opportunity sweet talk the vets when they visit:p Just another wat to get a foot in the door should no placement be available at the mo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice