UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have had my first litter of BSH this year and played it safe - I have a blue self and used a blue self stud. I think I have found a really good quality stud for next year and he is a cream and white bi colour. Can anyone recommend a good website that explains in simple terms (brain fried from children and housework) how the basics of mating for colour works - thanks

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
can't recommend a site - but if you look on Messybeasts THE MESSYBEAST that might help. Basically if you have a red series stud ALL your girls will be torties. And after it depends what he and your girl carry. So blue and black boys and blue and black tortie girls unless they carry anything else.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not a fan a creams or red or bi-colour BSH myself but as spid said already blue black and tortie girls, unless the carry anything else. Not sure about uk but striaght Blue BSH sell with ease all day long, creams red and tortie as in black torties do not sell well at all unless you slash the price down to only just cover desexing and vacs and chipping :(

If you have a blue that does not carry anything else mate her with a blue, would be my advice. But this is just me many others would like black torties.

Now if your blue carried chocolate I would mate her with a chocolate stud that carried dilute so you got a mix of black, chocolate, blue and lilac (my fav)

Is your BSH a pedigree? If so you should have what she carries on that.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Many thanks for the advice - I did use a blue stud this year and Bottroll you are right re blue kittens I took a deposit for all kittens at a good price within 2 days of advertising at four weeks. I am only going to have one litter a year and want to find the best quality stud possible. Many studs are closed and it can be difficult to find a good stud at open stud when you are just starting out. The cream and white bicolour I was looking at is a Grand Champion and gorgeous but your comments have certainly given me food for thought. And yes my Queen is a pedigree on the active register - her mum is a lilac tortie and she has lilac and blue torties and cream on mothers side some of which are colourpoints - her dad is blue self and comes from a line of solid blues. And thanks for the advice Spid I will have a look .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Many thanks for the advice - I did use a blue stud this year and Bottroll you are right re blue kittens I took a deposit for all kittens at a good price within 2 days of advertising at four weeks. I am only going to have one litter a year and want to find the best quality stud possible. Many studs are closed and it can be difficult to find a good stud at open stud when you are just starting out. The cream and white bicolour I was looking at is a Grand Champion and gorgeous but your comments have certainly given me food for thought. And yes my Queen is a pedigree on the active register - her mum is a lilac tortie and she has lilac and blue torties and cream on mothers side some of which are colourpoints - her dad is blue self and comes from a line of solid blues. And thanks for the advice Spid I will have a look .
Then she carries chocolate :) If you can find a blue stud carrying chocolate that would be perfect :) Choc's sell great as do lilacs as do blues lol so best of all 3 worlds there :) failing that a chocolate stud that carries dilute would also work very well :)

As your starting out I would breed yourself a stud (or of kept one from this mating) then get a new queen (as cheaper to buy lol) or use the takings on this litter to get your own. Sooner you get yourself a closed cattery the better :)

But to each BSH stud ideally you need 3 queens to work him well greedy teddy bears the BSH :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.