Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

confused which dog is best

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by scousemouse, Feb 23, 2008.

1. scousemouse

scousemouse PetForums Newbie

i have 2 young children 6 and 3 and we would love a dog but im not sure what type to choose i would like a small dog not too mad! short haired and obviously one that could be happy with children playing please could anyone share their ideas

2. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

most dog breeds are great with kids. but kids need to be taught how to respect dog also.
    i have always had a soft spot for staffies especially since having my kids.

3. scousemouse

they are gorgeous but arent they a bit slobbery?

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I have Staffords,not slobbery but do like giving kisses,they are excellent around kids,a very people orientated breed.You should be aware though that not all staffords like other dogs.

I recommend you go through one of the breed clubs if you are considering this breed,they will help you in your search for a well bred health tested pup.

5. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

none of the staffies i have owned including the one i have now, have been slobbery.

6. Magik

Magik Banned

hi, I breed pittbulls x rottweilers. We call them Pittweilers. I will sell you good pup for good price and will ship via DHL to any address in uk.

7. Magik

Magik Banned

seriously tho... For what you say you want ...I would recommend staffies.

colliemerles likes this.
  8. garryd

garryd Guest

And what about those boxer x pittbulls you do ??? boxerbullpitts you said you called them ! are they any good!:confused:

9. Magik

Magik Banned

first breed lack agression. Red meat being used to improve.

10. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

I know you said a small dog but dont discount labradors we have 2 golden girl dogs both now 12 months old and they are one of thoes breeds considered perfect family pets . our girls are pretty much full grown and at the shoulder they are 21 inch tall . I considered a smaller dog at first as i thought we didnt have room for a larger dog but im so glad we never and now we have 2 and we only live in a standard 3 bed house with an average garden. I think your main consideration should be how much time do you want to give to owning a dog ,some breeds even though not too big need long walks each day or at least an hour or so to let off steam in the park . And do you want a puppy with all the toilet training issues with 2 young children around or would you rather adopt an older dog.Either way dogs enrich your lives and bring familys closer as you all have a common interest . Is your younger child happy around dogs and would she be happy to leave the dog alone when it needed time to its self . There are lots of good sites on the net that you can generally look at different breeds of dog and read a little into their temperaments but be sure to consider a Lab ,Golden ones tend to be a little calmer and bitches slightly smaller although you would need to get her spayed when old enough , saying that as a responible owner of any dog you would need to either spay or castrate a male of feemale . keep us posted to how your choice is going .
    Andrea

11. Cassiel07

Cassiel07 PetForums Member

I have to agree with Andrea on this one. Don't know too much about staffords, but I have had a black lab and a golden retriever (both excellent with children) and the mix(weimeraner/aussie sheppard) that we have now is awesome. I don't recommend jack russells, we had one of those and he was not a very friendly dog with the kids. Good with adults and other dogs, but not the kids. Good luck finding your puppy!

12. scousemouse

both my daughters totally obsessed with dogs!! my youngest who is 3 tends to want to play constantly but will back off when told what about terriers?

13. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

welsh terriers are lovely but don't come cheap and are hard to find then you have the added cost of grooming a super dog with kids is a german spitz but they are long haired but great with little uns photo of one in the pet encylopedia

14. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

I'd say wait until you're 3 year old is a bit older
    then consider breeds
    i'd recomment a bull terrier (i dont own one) but they're brill with kids because the kids can be rough with it and then it won't trun around and bite them.

15. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

some Terriers are lovely and yes as long as they are bought up with children from a young age , some breeders will say if they have been bought up in a home enviroment aroubd children and other animals so to some degree that is of help as they will be used to kids so your 2 will be nothing new to them . just do your research and dont rely just on other peoples say so as there home experiences of a dog ,and what suits your requirements would be different . You said sgort haired is this because of molting ? if this is an issue for you all dogs willl molt generally throughout the year with several main times where they shed a lot , the only breeds i know of that hardly molt at all are poodles and bichon ,s (sorry about the spelling ) but both types would need the services of a groomer regular to clip the coat . I,ll have a look in my breed book and see if there isnt something .

16. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Staffordshire bulls are great with kids, they're not too big and they have short hair.

17. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Labs and Retreivers make wonderful family pets, but so do a lot of other breeds.

One word of caution however, ALL dogs can bite if pulled around by children, so PLEASE never leave them unsupervised.

I am a strong believer in bringing up children with our canine friends, since they make wonderful companions. Problems will only usually occur when children are left unsupervised.

18. ajheavey

ajheavey PetForums Newbie

I know you said small dog but I have had both small and medium sized dogs and at the moment have a st bernard and he has been the best with my kids ( 4 & 2 ) the can jump all over him and he doesnt seem to care :p

19. sammy1

sammy1 PetForums Junior

have you looked at cavalier king charles spaniels ,the are billant with kids

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice