Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Confused by feeding - want to get it right

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lumboo, May 1, 2011.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I have read the wet foods guide and I am even more confused as to what to feed my kittens.

At present they have Hill Science Plan dry food left out for them all day, and twice a day they share a Felix/Whiskers pouch. The lady from the CPL told me that dry food had to be high in meat so Hills was recommended, but wet food could be anything as they are all essentially the same.

Firstly, how do I know when to increase their wet food intake and secondly after reading various posts I understand wet food is 'not all the same' and I want to give my kittens the best start I can.

Please can you recommend some wet food that has little gravy (the Vets webpage says gravy is bad) and your cats actually like? Also, it has to be something that is good for kittens.

Thanks, I feel very confused!

2. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Gosh where to start!

Ok well firstly, it is not necessary to feed them kitten food. They can eat a good quality adult food. Secondly, if you are changing their food at all, please do it gradually, adding a teaspoon of the new food to their current food and gradually increasing over 1-2 weeks.

Wet food is considered by most of us on here to be much better for our kitties, as they tend not to drink alot and even cats who drink a lot of water when fed dry food have been proven to not be getting as much moisture as cats fed wet food who drink very little. It can be harmful to their kidneys later in life.

Most of the high quality wet foods tend to be pate form, so the gravy shouldn't be an issue. When I first got my kitten I was feeding him Hills kitten dry (I thought it was a really good food too until I was educated!) and Whiskas kitten in gravy (he has the WORST wind on the gravy food :lol: ) but have since switched to a variety of grain and sugar free wet foods.

Cats do not need carbohydrate in their diet, they are obligate carnivores, the carbohydrate is used as a filler, but as cats can't digest carbs, they tend to get hungrier quicker and you need to feed more.

I feed a variety of foods, and if you are willing to buy online it increases your options greatly! Apart from raw food (pre-prepared cat minces so I don't have to do it all myself :D) my cats are fed on Animonda Carny, Grau, Bozita, and a little Smilla. All of these are available from a website called zooplus. You also get a substantial discount from your first order if I remember rightly and delivery is free over £19. :)

As for dry food, if you still want to feed it occasionally as a treat, I'd say Orijen is the best, followed by Applaws. Both are grain free and available from zooplus.

Sorry for the essay, hope that helped a little!! :)

3. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Are you the same person who said that about the CPL lady before, Im getting de ja vu!

Anyway thats seriously not true, all wet food is not the same :)

Personally I wouldnt feed any dry, but if you really have to, Orijen or Applaws are much better than Hills.

Wet food can also come in jelly or in pate form, some 'good' brands are Bozita, Animonda or Grau (Smilla is also good) All are available from Zooplus. PAH Purely pots are also good (the 90% meat scrummy yummy range)
    Compared to the 45% meat of Whiskas, I dont see how anyone could say they are all the same :p

Where there is jelly or gravy you are also paying for that along with the meat, when its the meat that is the important bit.

Kittens can eat the same as adults, there is no difference in cat and kitten food.

4. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

to be honest i prefer applaws dry food as it has 80 percent meat content, i get mine from pets at home. Both my cats are 1 year old and i leave out a bowl of dry food all the time so they can help themselves whenever they are hungry. I also give them a pouch of meat to share in the morning and then i also give them a pouch to share at night and they are a healthy weight and never hungry. If i feed them more they dont eat it

5. gloworm*mushroom

Applaws is one of the better dry foods but in my opinion no dry food can compare to wet food, as it isn't meat as such, its dried meat or meat meal, it doesnt have the moisture needed.

To me, dry food can only be better than dry food. I would rather feed a crappy wet food that a good dry.

6. staffy_missy

1 of my cats prefers dry biscuits so it would be cruel to not give her them but they also get meat twice a day aswel so they have a balanced diet

7. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Not cruel, much better for her in the long run in regards to her health. :)

Also, think Hobbs said a while ago that Orijen is now 80% meat too. Correct me if I'm wrong Hobbs.

8. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Yes I am, but after reading the post about different types of wet foods I became even more confused. I had got a bulk amount of Felix before I knew about any of this, so I have some times to make a choice before I need to make another order, but I think I may opt for Grau, as the comments about it are good from everyone and it apeears not to be unpleasant in smell either.

If kitten/cat food is OK with good quality food, then I should be able to feed the Grau - is that right?

I think I may leave the dry food out for them to have at their own time, as we did this with my cat as well, and feed them twice a day with wet food.

However, I cannot find any guidelines about how much to feed kittens and when to increase it. I am currently feeding one Felix pouch between the two kittens twice a day. At what point should I increase this?

9. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

it depends how much dry you are feeding as to how much wet they will be eating.

The problem with free feeding espec with kittens is that you aren't going to know how much each kitten is eating and you need to know that really.

How old are they?

How much dry do you leave down and how often do you top it up?

10. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Grau will be fine for your babies. :) Good choice.

Kittens can eat as much as they like! So one pouch each a day may not be enough (even though they are getting dry.) So basically, feed them whenever they want. I would just put food in Loki's bowl when it was empty. Would you consider minimising the dry to maybe a small amount in the evening (this is just what I do) as some kittens become kibble junkies and turn their nose up at wet food if they know there is dry constantly available. :)

11. gloworm*mushroom

My kittens currently eat around 400g each of a high meat content food. Sometimes they eat more... (if I let them) They are chunky breed cats though, and one is particularly big, so you may not need to feed so much.

Feeding recommendations vary. Some of the foods I feed are 400g (and usually the whiskas ones are around 4 pouches a day, but again it depends on weight)

My cats, luckily for me, do not overeat. They do sometimes leave their food if theyve had too much. As far as I'm concerned if they are growing well they can eat as much as they want up until 1 year. After that, once they are at a healthy weight, its about maintenance. If your cat maintains a healthy weight on 200g of food, thats fine, if they need 400g to maintain the healthy weight, the again, so be it :) Bit of trial and error, as like with humans, there is no one diet that works for every cat.

12. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

The kittens happily eat both wet and dry food, so they aren't fussy about either.

I don't measure out the dry food as I was told that kittens will not over eat and it is good to have food available to them all day. They really love their wet food too though, and I feed them at the same time of 7am and 6pm - the dry food being available at all other times.

However, I am trying to measure out the dry food just to know how much they are eating each day, but I can't find any guidelines as to how much I should leave them each day if feeding wet food as well. I think I read on the back of a Whiskers box that if they are fed a pouch of wet food daily then they should have 30g of dry food per day. Can't find any other joint food guidline.

13. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

If you want to just know how much they are eating, you could weigh the dry you put down, and weigh it again at the end of the day. That way they still have access to plenty of food and you can see how much they eat?

14. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

Hi, I was in a similar situation to you when I first joined and I opted for Grau after reading the A-Z. I bought a mixture of different flavours to start with as well as the 'kitten' one they do (which is the only one that is a bit smelly) and Arnold has been fine on all of them apart from the Heart and Liver one.

I bought an automatic pet feeder to give him his afternoon meal on the day that I'm at work at this time as everything I read said that they need to eat little and often so they would probably eat 3-4 times a day at your kittens' age. Arnold still eats 4 times a day really as he eats little bits in the afternoon.

15. staffy_missy

yes and applaws is also 80% so dont really see how that makes a difference as I never even mentioned orijen :S and why would i completely cut biscuits out when they can have both its not as if its bad for my cats i could be feeding them whiskas!

16. gloworm*mushroom

Chez87 was just saying to the OP that if she wants to continue feeding dry then Orijen also has 80% meat.... not an attack on you.

I do believe that Orijen overall has a better make up (possibly due to the high ash content of applaws)

You are indeed feeding one of the better dry foods. And if your cat wont eat wet then you are making a good choice for your particular cat.

However, for the OP, I would make every effort to switch to an all wet diet if possible as it will greatly increase her health if she does, and the risk of infections in the bladder.

17. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Thanks for this. Gloworm*mushroom is right I wasn't having a go at you for feeding Applaws, I feed it too on occasion. I think you are right in that Applaws does have a higher mineral content than Orijen which makes orijen slightly better.

But yes, in all respects, an all wet diet is highly preferable (if your cat tolerates it). Of course we are all entitled to feed our cats as we wish, but please understand when we say these things, we are only thinking of the health and wellbeing of the cat, and not making personal attacks or judgements on what you choose to feed.

18. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Lumboo, I think the best advice that can be given on this subject is this:

There are two excellent lists on the forum covering both wet & dry foods. Look at what you can afford, that offers the best nutrition, and make that your starting point. If you are lucky, your cats will take to it and you will have no further problems. If they are fussy wee tykes, then you will have to go with the 'trial & error' technique that most slaves find themselves using. Eventually, you will hit on something that works for both your cats tastes & your pocket. It might be totally wet, it might be a dry/wet combo.

Only time will tell......

Good luck. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice