Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Confused about potatoes

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Terr, May 24, 2010.

1. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

:D

So I'm a little bit confused about potatoes in dog food. I've heard from some people that you should never feed your dog anything with potatoes in it. I've even heard some say you should never let your dog eat any potatoes in any capacity. But then a quick dig around google and I'm reading that potatoes are a common allergy in dogs.

So exactly where does this ingredient stand?

I'm currently feeding my 5 month lab Arden Grange Puppy/Junior. (Mixing large breed with regular after I ordered the wrong one.) He does really well on the large breed stuff, has a great shiny coat (although he's shiny whatever I feed him). I really like Arden Grange but at 35 for 15kg, I'm really starting to feel the hole in my pocket as a result. So I've been thinking that once he gets through the bags I've got stored away, it'll be about time to switch him onto big dog food! I've heard good things about both Skinners and Vitalin. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Skinners, Dante had a brief romp with their puppy range and ended up giving me stomach ulcers with his newly found coprophagia problem (due to the maize I think). So I've had my eye on the Vitalin adult feed. It looks good and so many have said great things about that particular feed but I'm worried about its content. 26% chicken and 26% potato. It would appear that potato is the only 'filler/carb' source which is both good and bad news since that means no cereals but... potato? I'm thinking gas problems. Anyone know anything about it or have experience with Vitalin Adult?

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Iv read that potato is supposed to be quite gentle on the stomach,hence it is used in select foods where dogs cant have wheat gluten etc.
    Obviously it is a bulker.Most dog foods have a bulker of some description,unless being fed a raw homemade type food,most use wheat,rice,maize etc.
    I think the thing to look into is the source of potatoe,whether it is potato as we eat or the products of, ie the peel,cull etc which can come from companies that make potato products for human consumption who sell on the waste product.
    Iv had no experience of it though,this is purely what iv heard and read.
    Hopefully those who have experience will help you shortly.

3. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I think its green or raw potatoes that cause problems, the green/sprouted/damaged ones can even give humans digestive upset due to the higher levels of a toxin found in them.

I used to feed my dogs on Wainwrights salmon & potato with no issues, infact they had less gas on that than the salmon & rice there on now.

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I often feed mine cooked potato especially sweet potato..i think its the raw ones you have to watch..

juliex

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It's the green parts of potatoes, they're part of the nightshade family, and as with tomatoes, capsicum, egg plants, you avoid feeding any green parts, as these contain something called solanine. When you uncover potatoes, they turn green as a defence, to avoid being eaten, plants are clever ;)

Tomatoes also contain something called lycopene, which is thought to be very useful for a number of reasons, one of which is as an anticarcinogen. It's the lycopene content that is red and will stain plastics, so when you wash up after spag bol, the red stain around the top of the washing up bowl is because of lycopene.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Funnily enough mine wont touch potatoes. I tried her on P@H salmon and potato when she was a pup and she wouldnt touch it. Our roast meals she ate with gusto but left the potato :eek:

Because we had issues with her eating her puppy food, I decided to give her a choice when we went over to adult. My first choice was Vitalin cereal free and then the Skinners hypoallergenic Salmon/duck and rice. The vitalin she ate but not as well as the Skinners salmon and rice, again I think it must be the potato.

As feeds go, in my opinion Vitalin Cereal Free is the best low budget food and makes a mockery of some of the more expensive ones packed with cereal. The meat content is good too. Unfortunately Skinners meat content is a bit low but we top up with meaty bones and we havent had any hunger strikes :lol:

7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

No idea about the potatoes but check out vetuk, they often have the lamb arden grange on offer for about £24, free delivery over £40 too. I usually get a friend to order their food with me or if I've got the cash I'll order two bags.

My friend has a giant GSD on the AG lamb and he's doing fantastically well.

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Buster won't eat them he just plants them. I'd never heard they were bad so thanks for that

9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Cassie loves her taties especially mash with clover just the way i like it :lol: She isn't too enamoured with chips though.. she'll normally pick them off and leave 'em :D

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

William used to love mashed potatoes that much that if we were having them for tea OH used to do extra for William (OH cooks in my house he's better at it than me). He also liked the skins from jacket potatoes.

11. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Ooooh. Thanks everyone for helping me clear that bit of confusion up. I emailed Vitalin with some questions and I'm hoping to get some samples. How does one approach a company for samples anyway? Just outright ask?

12. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I was told to chuck green potatos as they are poisonous. When I worked in the zoo the owner used to go through all the potatos and chuck rooted or green ones!! Was'nt it in A Christmas Carol that scrooge said he was halucinating because of a bad potato???

13. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Terr,just tell them you are considering using their food for your dog,but he has a sensitive tummy,so would it be possible to recieve a few days' worth of samples to try him first prior to ordering.Most comapnies are fine with sending samples out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice