UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems that Fish4Dogs have changed all of their recipes and I'm not great with all of this nutrition stuff but to me it doesn't look great! Is it now poor quality? I sometimes feed my dogs F4D but don't really want to buy it if the quality isn't as good.

Can someone help me? :)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
So it seems that Fish4Dogs have changed all of their recipes and I'm not great with all of this nutrition stuff but to me it doesn't look great! Is it now poor quality? I sometimes feed my dogs F4D but don't really want to buy it if the quality isn't as good.

Can someone help me? :)
I'm afriad from having a quick look it is IMHO nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Ocean White Fish (27%), Pea Flour (22%), Potato (23%), Fishmeal (8.7%), Salmon Oil (9.3%), Beet Pulp (6.6%), Brewers Yeast, Minerals
I assume the ocean white fish is fresh, else it would state 'meal' as it does with the fishmeal. Which means you need to remove the moisture.

100 -70 [the moisture level] = 30%. Then 30% of 27% = 8.1%

So once dehydrated and in the dogs bowl it only adds 8% meat, add that to the 8.7% fishmeal means the overall meat content is 16.8% meat,

For £47 a bag, that's outrageous.

Compare that to pets at homes fishmongers

Salmon Meal (min 27%), Potato (min 27%), Salmon (min 24%), Salmon Oil (min 9%), Sugar Beet Pulp, Salmon Digest (min 2%), Minerals, Brewers Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Mannan-Oligosaccharides, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, Yucca Extract, L-Carnitine, Beta Carotene.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afroad from having a quick look it is IMHO nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I assume the ocean white fish is fresh, else it would state 'meal' as it does with the fishmeal. Which means you need to remove the moisture.

100 -70 [the moisture level] = 30%. Then 30% of 27% = 8.1%

So once dehydrated and in the dogs bowl it only adds 8% meat, add that to the 8.7% fishmeal means the overall meat content is 16.8% meat,

For £47 a bag, that's outrageous.

Compare that to pets at homes fishmongers
Thanks for that, looks like I won't be buying it anymore! Can't believe the price for what you get tbh. :eek: It also says "improved recipe" how has it improved? :confused:

G

·
Thanks for that, looks like I won't be buying it anymore! Can't believe the price for what you get tbh. :eek: It also says "improved recipe" how has it improved? :confused:
It hasn`t improved, quite the opposite I`m assuming thats just to basically say "still carry on buying it!"

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Improved because it costs the company less to produce but they can keep charging the same for it I imagine!

What did the fish content used to be (roughly)? Of the 2 food mentioned on this thread I'd go for Fishmongers without hesitation.

G

·
Improved because it costs the company less to produce but they can keep charging the same for it I imagine!

What did the fish content used to be (roughly)? Of the 2 food mentioned on this thread I'd go for Fishmongers without hesitation.
55% for adult and 70% of puppy, I have samples of the old formula

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Don't know why they wanted to change the recipe! :( (well, I do... £££.. :rolleyes:)

Huge shame - I always have a bag of kibble in for treats, snacks, in Kongs etc - and Fish4dogs has always been hugely popular, especially the large bite Sardine one - but shouldn't think I'll be using it any more.

I just hope they leave their treats well alone! :eek:

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Don't know why they wanted to change the recipe! :( (well, I do... £££.. :rolleyes:)

Huge shame - I always have a bag of kibble in for treats, snacks, in Kongs etc - and Fish4dogs has always been hugely popular, especially the large bite Sardine one - but shouldn't think I'll be using it any more.

I just hope they leave their treats well alone! :eek:
Change of owner a couple of years ago as well, original owners now trade under a different name as above

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope that they leave their treats alone too! :(

I usually switch between TOTW and F4D to give the dogs a change but I won't be feeding F4D anymore. Might try them Fishmongers or Applaws instead.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Change of owner a couple of years ago as well, original owners now trade under a different name as above
I knew there was some connection between Fish4Dogs and Angell Petco but didn't realise they were the original owners.

I get my salmon oil from them.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I knew there was some connection between Fish4Dogs and Angell Petco but didn't realise they were the original owners.

I get my salmon oil from them.
Yep they are, lovely people, so helpful our dogs love the treats and won't pass the stand at the shows without going in for a treat off them.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
the first bag of fish4dogs i bought was before they added the pea flour dinky (fussy eater) enjoyed eating it, now she just looks at her food and walks away :confused: dai & daniel still eat it (my boys only think about food, if it's remotely edible they'll eat it :rolleyes:) so when this bags finished i won't buy it again :( will try the fishmongers food to see if the princess likes it :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Did not realise that it had changed so much - did it change the same time they changed the salmon/trout mousse ? Have just checked and the bag I have left is the old one (which was 32% cod and 22.5% herring meal) but looks like I might have to change after that :(

It is a shame as it is the food that worked for Sonny's digestion I might try Fishmongers, Applaws or Vitalin Maintance. It least I have a full bag left to change over to something else.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I know I keep saying it but check out angell petco or Jon angell, I don't use the food not because I don't like it but because mine are settled on what they have. However, they are worth looking at I think.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This was posted on Fish 4dogs Facebook page...

"We got it wrong and would like to say how sorry we are.

We recently made some changes to the ingredients used in our Finest Foods. We are proud of these changes as they improve our recipes. Where we got it wrong was that we didn’t communicate this effectively, without doubt we should have made a better effort to inform you.

We are now putting this right – all of the changes will be described on our web site and we will be sending out letters with all orders.

The main changes we have made are:

- Better fish meal as we change from mixed fish meal to single source salmon meal.

- Better salmon oil – we now use Norwegian salmon Oil, which is the best in Europe being purer, of higher quality and with higher omega-3 (DHA) content.

- In order to keep the protein levels at the optimum level we have had to reduce the fish content to around 45% fore the adult and 52% for the puppy but not the 27% reported by some observers. This level provides the ideal protein level of 26% for adult foods and 30% for our puppy food.

- We have also improved the profile of the carbohydrates with the addition of pea. The main advantage of pea is it provides a more balanced glycaemic index meaning it helps keep your dog feeling full for longer as energy is more slowly released.

Should you require more detailed information please refer to our Web Site ..... Ingredients

We should have done a better job of communicating these changes and for that we apologise, we’re listening to our customers and promise we will do better in the future.

Graham Smith CEO

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Harvey had been doing so well since we discovered his hypothyroid problem and now we have noticed his skin issues have started to return. We're wondering if its because of this change?

I guess its now back to researching what will be a good food for him :(

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.