Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

confused about cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by aella851, Aug 18, 2009.

1. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

I didn't realise you should feed your cat dry and wet foods, i thought something like royal canin dry food was a complete meal and keep a bowl of water full so its always on hand. Now im confused as when i have my kitten I want it to have the best possible diet.

angela

2. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Personally i think it's nice to give kittens wet and dry food. The dry food being down as an alternative really because the wet food is easier on their teeth too. I always have dry food down so they have something to nibble/snack on between meals. As they grow older you can reduce the amount of wet food you give. :D

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

All my cats are fed dry food. And the kittens that i have weaned has always been on dry too. If using dry it is important to make sure the cat(s) drink plenty of water to help them from getting FLUTD. There are a few ways to go about this.

Having said that, yes dry food is complete, but if you buy Applaws wet food it is complementry. Applaws are 80% meat content and are fed as well as dry to supplement to diet. You can feed it daily. weekly etc.
    Applaws dry food is a complete food, but again it can be supplemented with wet.

Hope the waffling has helped a little bit lol! :blushing: :D

P.S I am using Applaws as an example but any decent wet can be used in the same way.

4. Grinningcat

Grinningcat PetForums Junior

You should feed both wet and dry? What? Hm. I don't think so.

I eliminated ALL dry food from my cats' diets several months ago after doing extensive research of feline nutrition and talking to my veterinarian. They now eat grain-free wet food and the occasional treat of raw meats and jerky. Seeing how much more active and healthy they are on the new diet, I would never go back to dry food.

I highly recommend an 100% grain-free wet food diet, and there many of reasons why. I will gladly go into them, if anyone is interested. Otherwise, Catinfo.org is a great source for more information.
    One major reason, though, is that cats do not have a strong thirst drive. Even if water is left out for them constantly, they typically do not drink as much as they ought to. Their bodies are programmed to getting most of what they need from their food (which, if it's dry food, isn't nearly enough). Many cats are suffer from chronic dehydration. By the time your cat is old, this can cause or aggravate all sorts of medical problems.

If you must feed dry food, go grain-free. Cats are obligate carnivores, which basically means their bodies cannot digest grains efficiently. Grains are put into cats foods as fillers, and dry foods tend to have a lot more unhealthy filler.

I feed Wellness brand canned. It's a complete diet. If you can find it in your area, consider trying it out.

#4 Grinningcat, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  5. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Angela, Royal Canin is complete, but feeding only dry food isnt the best diet for a cat, for all the reasons Grinningcat has put forward, cats need moisture in their diet, which they can never get sufficient amounts of from dry food (and can never compensate by drinking enough water). I would definitely think about including some wet food in your new kitten's diet (or even changing over completely to wet) Go for the higher meat content wet foods like Applaws, as Acacia mentioned, Natures Menu, Hi Life etc.

Some people leave dry down all day for cats to nibble on and feed wet food at regular mealtimes - but cats don't actually need to have food down for them all the time, so regular mealtimes are better - and with a kitten, depending how old it is when you get it, it will probably need 3 or 4 small meals a day initially.

Don't forget though, any change in diet should be done very gradually, to avoid tummy upsets. :)

6. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

Both my kittens are fed a mixture, they ALWAYS have dry food with water right next to it to graze on throughout the day, as I work long shifts, and then have 1 pouch of whiksers kitten food in the morning, and half a pouch in the afternoon, and another pouch between two in the evening, may increase this in the next few weeks. I'm more worried they're not eating enough really, but they tend to come and go and eat their food really, they may have a few bites and walk off and come back to it, which i'm happy with. They know where their food is, and I guess they'll eat when hungry?

They had wet and dry at the previous owners house, plus dry food is perfect for when you can't feed them that often!

7. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

this is interesting, I think the kitten I may be having is fed on canin dry cat food, but I will check, but i might so the wet food diet and give dry as a complimentary side dish. so will research the canned/ sachet foods as i want a good quality of meat. I have read that the canin dry food gives them good digestive so the odour of their stools are not as strong. Didn't realise how difficult it is to dicide what is good for the kitten. As I wouldnt give my children rubbish so I wont give my cat rubbish. As they are family members.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice