UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Just would like to ask a quickie - I know I'm looking for a drop in temp - her normal has been just over 100 this week but has now dropped to 99?? Is the drop supposed to be under 98? She's 56 days today.

Many thanks

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Your poor young bitch - you had every opportunity to get her mismated and yet you chose to go ahead with it. :mad:

Personally, I will not help with such irresponsible breeding but would just add I never take my bitch's temperature. The signs she will go into labour are pretty obvious and I have no desire to keep bothering my bitch in this way. Besides, it is unreliable.

Do you have her under the care of a vet? If so, then I suggest you contact them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply

FYI I was advised by my vet against the mismate injection because of adverse reactions.

She is seen by a vet on a weekly basis at huge cost to myself....and again at the advise of my vet I am monitoring her temperature so that the vet can be put on standby and attend to help should there be a problem - again at huge cost to myself. I have been told that a drop under 98 means impending labor but through vast research on the Internet have noticed differing temperatures.

Hence the reason I came to this forum for advice about my much loved girl.

I would therefore suggest that at no point have I been irresponsible but extremely concerned, caring and hopefully way over the top in my preparations.

But thanks for your help :-(

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Maybe you should get another vet! :rolleyes:

Slightly off topic, but some relevance. I've known and spoken to many vets over the years. While few have any indepth knowledge of breeding, I've yet to meet any that encourage such irresponsible breeding, while some know they are on a losing wicket with a determined owner and stop trying to persuade them to stop the pregancy so get on with their job. Neither have I met one who would refuse the mismate if requested by the owner.

The risks to such a young bitch far outweigh any side effects from a mismate and you were told this in your last thread! :mad:

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
56 days is early, although they can go 1 week before and a few days after due date. I don't rely on the temp go by other signs. Too bad your vet missed the day at school about recommended age of a breeding dog....In Canada the mismate is not as common as there but if I had the option on a pup that had got bred I would take it...

·
Registered
392 Posts
In all honesty, a temperature drop as a whelping indicator is wholly unreliable unless you have a fair amount of experience and can note subtle changes. Even then it's a dodgy science imo and ime.

Judging from your posting history, i'm going to go out on a limb and say you are pretty clueless to breeding and dogs in general; in which case you could quite easily be putting your bitch at risk by taking her temp on such a regular basis. You will either be taking the temp of her feces, or running the risk of perforating her bowel wall.

You have a date from the 'accidental' mating, so you can work out when 63 days is up.

One would hope you have done extensive research into the whelping process, and know what behavioural changes to look out for, and that you have your whelping box and kit ready, and a few ££££ in stand by as a c-section isn't out of the question when a pup is having pups herself.

I've missed what breed she is, but i wouldn't be surprised is she were a Staffordshire; 'accidents' always seem to happen to Staffordshires, or breeds of a similar nature. Funny that.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I love my dog - if nobody has any good advice to give then there is little point me coming here
The point is - you WERE given a lot of good advice when you first asked and there is PLENTY more in this thread

i.e. you are too inexperienced to be taking temperatures

IF you have done any reading, then you will know the early signs of labour to watch out for - someone said she is only 56 days atm? I always ensure that I (or if I can't be someone else is) with my bitch 24/7.

You chose to ignore the good advice given to you when you first asked and now have placed your girls life, and that of her own unborn pups at risk.

To many people who love their dogs, whether they breed or not, it comes across as a very strange form of "love".

Many of us spend an unbelievable amount of time, money and energy when we go into planning a litter - and too many also know the heartbreak of when things go wrong.

I've seen a friend recently have her heartbroken and her confidence knocked sideways as a resulf of a number of things going wrong - and she did everything by the book and some.

I hope your bitch comes through it unscathed simply because I hate to see dogs suffering in any shape or form - but it is worse when that suffering is caused by their owners actions moreso when it all could have been avoided for the sake of an injection which MIGHT cause some unpleasant side effects but then again, she could just as easily have sailed through it with no ill effects.

There isn't a medication or medical procedure which doesn't carry with it the RISK of side effects - be it humans or dogs - sometimes you have to sit down and weigh out the pros and cons - from the vets perspective, the cynic in me would say there is a lot more money to be made out of your bitch proceeding with the litter as opposed to a straight forward mis-mate (assuming this is what your vet actually did say)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I love my dog - if nobody has any good advice to give then there is little point me coming here
I love my dogs, that's why I made sure that I kept my male and female seperate throughout her first season, had my bitch spayed 3 months later and then had my boy neutered before my pup had her first season! I still kept my pup separated from my male even though he was neutered and showed no interest in her whatsoever.

I cannot understand why you would put your pup through this if you loved her so much.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
This thread is so sad :(
I feel so sad for the poor puppy that is about to become a mum at 10 months! What a horrible situation.

How very irresponsible to put such a young dog through this...Maybe the owners saw £££ when they found out she was pregnant, so 'heard' the vet tell them not to get the mismate? :(

·
Registered
317 Posts
Trouble is you asked advice about your 'baby' and you were given sound advice but you chose to go against the advice you were given and put your much loved 'baby' through pregnancy and birth at an immature age, so you can't really expect those who advice you ignored to now bend over backwards for you and give you more advice. However your bitch is the important one right now so hopefully if you stick around you will get the help you need as forum members are only interested in the wellbeing of your bitch and not your feelings:rolleyes:
Anyway I don't have much experience as my pups are only 5 days old and it was my girls first litter, she is 3 BTW and was an absolute star, things didn't go to plan however as pup no 1 was in an awkward position and despite 2 hrs of good pushing he was never coming out naturally, it resulted in an expensive sunday afternoon c section but the most important thing was that her and her pups are safe and well. So what should have been a straightforward whelping in a breed that usually whelp easily didn't turn out that way due to an awkward laying pup, just goes to show how easily things can and do go wrong. Anyway I hope you have the funds put by for emergencies like that, as already said your bitch will tell you when things are happening, have you got the book of the bitch if not try and get it. It is hard watching your bitch going through labour so I hope you are prepared for that. Is your breed an easy whelping breed or one that has difficulty? Is the dad the same breed was he bigger? All these things will have an impact on what to expect when she does go into labour, the more info we have the better we can help you

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
This thread is so sad :(
I feel so sad for the poor puppy that is about to become a mum at 10 months! What a horrible situation.

How very irresponsible to put such a young dog through this...Maybe the owners saw £££ when they found out she was pregnant, so 'heard' the vet tell them not to get the mismate? :(
10 MONTHS?? :mad:

What kind of stupid vet have you supposedly consulted with?? :mad:

I know dogs who have had stupidly young litters and their whole temperament has changed, they've ended up having to be PTS due to neuroticism and being aggressive because they were psychologically RUINED from such a young pregnancy. Why did you not get a mismate OP? Shame on you.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
My God, 10 months old and the feckin vet advises against the mismate, I'd like to post what I think about him and the OP, but I'd honestly get banned.
But we only have the OP's word that that's what the vet said. Personally, I don't know a vet that would advise against a mismate, much less with such a young bitch and I can't see a vet saying that.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
But we only have the OP's word that that's what the vet said. Personally, I don't know a vet that would advise against a mismate, much less with such a young bitch and I can't see a vet saying that.
I know a couple of vets uneducated enough to advise against the mismate to be honest, but the advice on the other thread was overwhelming. I wonder what the breeders of the OPS dogs also advise? I don't know any breeder who would allow their pups to be bred on from at this age, it's criminal.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.