Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Confessions of an irresponsible cat owner

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by _soph_, Aug 5, 2009.

1. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Hello to all

I for many years have been a great lover of animals. I have always owned dogs up until a couple of years ago when "Ted our beautiful moggy" came into our lives. Being responsible pet owners Ted was neutered at the earliest possible time to allow him to be a better animal. Ted, although we love and adore him is a proper stroppy cat and you never quite know what mood he will be in, it seems to swing between "loving...or scratchy"!

Not too long after Ted chose us to be his servants we had a stunning silver female called Lilly who decided that we looked like perfectly good housekeepers and decided that we should be very happy that she had chosen us to attend to her every whim.

A few weeks after Lilly moved into her new "realm" we rescued a beautiful tabby called "Syd" who had also decided that "ham" at least 3 times a day seemed a sufficient home....For the time being anyway!

So here we all were living our very happy lives...I can honestly say that we were having such a lovely time we didnt notice how quickly time was passing us by....Could it really have been a year since we'd gotten our two lovely girlies?

We knew that they needed to be speyed so we booked them both into the vets. I wasn't overly concerned as I know that all the neighbours male cats (and mine) are neutered.....I can almost here you laughing now.

The vet explained to me that Toms can travel great distances when a female is "calling". I was still confident...My females are approximately 1 year old...Far too young to be fratanising with the opposite sex!

Well you guessed it...

Syd is pregnant and due 1 to 2 weeks time from vet appointment (which was 1 1/2 weeks ago so any day now)
    Lilly is pregnant and due 2 to 3 weeks time from vet appointment (so in about 1 weeks time)
    Obviously all dates are approximate

As soon as the kittens have left their mother and their milk has dried up they will be speyed. Until then they will not be allowed outside.

We are in a very fortunate position to accomodate and financially support both litters of kittens. I have a very supportive husband and family BUT....This could have been a very different story. We already have found homes for the kittens through family members and friends BUT again....This could have been a very different story. Financially, the "Queens" are literally costing us a fortune on food alone!!....Never thought cats could eat so much!!
    Gosh...I do feel better bearing my soul!!

On a more positive note after I got over the initial shock we are very much looking forward to the new arrivals. Fortunately I do not work so will have plenty of time on my hands to look after my new bundles of joy!!!

I have been reading the forums intently over the last week to glean as much information as possible. I wanted to thank you all who have posted and have contributed to such a wonderful forum. It has helped me immensely.

Moral of the story...

Cats get pregnant very young and very easily!

#1 _soph_, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Eeeekkk...this must have been very scary for you! I wish you luck with 2 lots of kittens! :D I hope all goes well! :D

3. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

two litters :eek: you are going to have lots to do, hope everything runs smoothly with both births, please dont forget pictures......:D

4. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D
    You certainly shouldn't consider yourself to be an irresponsible owner. Clearly your cats are well loved and well looked after. Mistakes happen and that's how we learn in life. ;)

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum soph, your cat family sounds lovely, one of my cats is called Syd as well. I would love to see piccies of your kitties, good luck with the impending births and I hope all goes well with mums and babies.

6. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing pics of the little ones when they arrive..mum's too of course! :D

7. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Thank you everyone! Here are some images of the ladies in question!!

Attached Files:

8. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Gorgeous cats....lovely pics. :D

9. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

they are stunning and you are not irresponsible if you are willing to care for the kitties if they dont go to new homes ands also getting mums speyed. Good luck on your new little ones i am sure they will be cute too especially if their mummies are anything to go by

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Aww don't feel like that! You have sorted everything out, you are knowlegable and the kittens will be bought up in a super home! I can't wait for all the updates!

I had two litters together and yes it was expensive and very time consuming! But i was lucky my girls are sisters and are so close that they helped each other out the whole way through! From birth, nursing, weaning etc it was very sweet! I have some pictures of it all. And i adore kittens i miss them every stage of their life, from newborns to learning to eat, playing together then running around like total loons! It made me dizzy watching them all :crazy: but so so worth it :D

Oh and your cats are just so gorgeous!! :001_tt1:

xx

11. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

Wow! That'll be fun! The gals are beautiful!
    Good luck, hope it all goes well and make sure you keep us updated!
    Ooo, I'm all excited now!
    xxx

12. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Aw...gorgeous cats. You are going to be one busy lady very soon..lol. ;)
    Don't feel too bad about the situation, accidents happen and you're clearly doing your best to give the lucky kittens a good start in life. Wish you lots of luck and look forward to the updates!
    :D

13. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

hi there

ive done the same we have moved house a couple of months ago and the cats were kept in the little minx got out. i didnt think anything of it as we live in a quite street and all the cats have been done. Oh no she managed to find one from somewhere. so here we are waiting for the little babies to be born. I will as soon as the kittens have been weaned be getting her done. I have already spoken to the vet and all going to plan she can get done in a couple of months. So i wouldn't feel bad acciedents happen to us all at least that you are going to do something about when the time comes, just enjoy the little bundles.

14. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Soph, dont feel bad at all at least you have the time and money to look after them all. I wish you luck at every stage it is a truly magical experience. good luck hun.

15. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Very true, cats can get pregnant from 5-6 months old and males can father kittens from 7-8 months old.

16. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

your girls are both gorgeous, cant wait to see the kittens,:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice