Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

confession

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by emzybabe, Jul 31, 2009.

1. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I brought a wooden wendy house earlier.....

(my landlords are back in the UK in sept and when I said I had a rabbit I dont think they thought she would be indoors, the're not moving back into the flat for a few months because they need to sort out jobs which means I get their beautiful home for longer, but out of respect I thought it was time to put Miffy outside :( )

......this means I may look into getting Rodger a little earlier so they have a neutral home together...

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Ah bless im sure your female would love the company of a male rabbit will you try a rescue as there very good for helping to bond them. Im sure she will enjoy the wendy house with another rabbits company. I know how you feel as i rent also its a pain some times.

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

renting is a big pain (Miffy has eaten a hole in the back of the sofa cover and I cant find the right colour brown to replace part of it anywhere grr)

Yes will be contacting my local rescue woodside, not sure what they will say about the run being on concrete tho as the front garden has grass but is very exposed and she would be stolen. :confused:

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Could you not line the inside with wood and a big layer of hay im sure it will be fine tell them its for easy cleaning you could also add an inside wooden house box.

5. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

the run already has a big hand made hiding box (more like a hutch) stuck to it and I always put cat litter boxes full of hay and veg for her to nibble on, I guess i could get some wood boards for the floor but think they would rot with all the rain I get this way

6. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

May I ask what is wrong with a concrete run?? Now I am worried. :confused: I had my soggy back garden concreted especially to place the hutch and run on as the run could not be put on the grass as it was always soaking wet! I had read that a concrete run is fine for rabbits and it keeps their wee nails from growing too long. Gosh, I hope it is ok ? :crying:
    Jacqui

#6 jaxb05, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

well id say them being on a cncrete run is much better than a bun sitting in rescue??? surely they wouldnt refuse on those grounds?

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

:) hope so, it just looks so harsh tho

9. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

As i thought it would be better as for ease of cleaning etc. I was only thinking about the cold as it can travel through the concrete if you dont have a layer of something to keep them warm in between the concrete base and there hay. .

10. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I do have three of the mats rabbits can eat or sit on placed around the run. My run is attached to the hutch and Pickles can go inside any time she wants. The run is of course is off the ground and is two tiers. Should I add a layer of hay in the run? It's just that one part of the run is not completely covered and the hay would get soaked. Not sure what to think now. Any advice about a concrete run would be much appreciated.
    Jacqui

#10 jaxb05, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Concrete run is fine, the most important thing is they have enough space to exercise you can pick grass and veg and pop hay in the run.

12. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

At my local rescue centre all the rabbits live in concrete pens so I'm sure this would be ok. My garden is paved so there's no grass but the local rescue centre were ok with it as long as I give them plenty of greens and hay to make up for the lack of grass.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice