Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concrete knobs on chicken feet

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by wilksj, Jul 27, 2009.

1. wilksj

wilksj PetForums Newbie

I just rescued 6 hens from what were terrible conditions and a few of them have rock hard lumps of chicken poop stuck to their toes, some the size of very large grapes. I tried to gently pull them off and even to scrape them with a knife but with poor results. They don't even seem to soften in the wet grass. Any suggestions???
    tx

2. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

If they will let you calmly hold them then get them to walk around in a shallow warm water bath to soften the balls. We used to put some in the bath and fill it a little with a rubber mat, now I use trays and they paddle around drinking the water lol. It may take a few days, and a few goes, not all at once and be careful as the last bits may have skin attached,so may be better to get the worst off and then let them rest a while and their feet dry out thoroughly.

3. wilksj

wilksj PetForums Newbie

OK, thanks I'll give it a whirl!!

4. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

How are the chicken's feet today? It saddens me that the poor things have got into such a bad way, at least they will have a good life with you! I have a real soft spot for chickens and have always wanted to rescue some but we have too many foxes and cats in our garden so i dare not risk keeping hens!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice