Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concerning Online Grocery Deliveries During COVID-19 etc.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cully, Mar 14, 2020.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sainsbury website they are no longer doing bagless deliveries for the duration...and yet my order came free range!o_O (luckily I had a couple of crates ready to transfer stuff but really, make your mind up Sainsbury!!:rolleyes:

kimthecat likes this.
  2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

When you make a food purchase and go through checkout, there is a note saying they do not provide bags. I think it says elsewhere in the Help part that they are delivery food in bags due to the virus, but I would have thought it should also be saying this at checkout as well. It’s a bit confusing to see that it would be bagless when they are providing bags

3. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Ocado have started to turn on the app. As a priority customer we now have access through the app and they are rolling it out to other customers gradually.

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm just amazed at how many plastic bags my Sainsbury's on-line shopping comes in, sometimes a bag just has one thing in it.

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  5. Siskin

I know, same with Tesco’s. Thankfully the delivery lady that came recently said she could take all our bags for recycling.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We were told by Asda they wouldn’t collect them because of the virus.

I’m using them poo bags and for litter picking over the playing fields.

rona likes this.
  7. Happy Paws2

I was think of cutting down on how often I shop, but OH said keep ordering weekly so are a regular customer just in case they change things.

I was also think that I will be shopping on-line over the winter months so I don't need to go out. For the last few years I've had a very bad cold or cough around Christmas time, last year I was so ill I nearly had the doctor in, so if we don't go out hopefully this year I should be OK. Anything I really need to choose for myself I can get in November and freeze.

rona, Lurcherlad and Bisbow like this.
  8. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

I agree with your OH
    I am ordering weekly to keep the slot going, I shall keep the deliveries going when this is all over (if it ever is}

I am not keen on shopping at the best of times and now it is even worse, even with a mask I am not too keen on going out but I do to the village shops

rona, Lurcherlad and Happy Paws2 like this.
  9. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Well I’m not overly happy with Ocado right now.. I had a slot booked for 6-7am this morning but the van broke down. Not their fault I realise but the upshot is they can’t re-deliver as this route is now cancelled. The driver had originally said that they could deliver the ambient temp items but that the refrigerated items could not be delivered as the temperature in the refrigerator was too high. Unfortunately most of my order is refrigerated. Anyway, now nothing can be delivered.

Customer services have tried to arrange to have the order picked again and re-delivered but no delivery slots are available before 8th august. That is probably because the system wont’ allow me to book a slot within a week of existing deliveries and I have another slot booked for next weekend. They have re-booked the delivery for me for 8th august and are now going to try to get the planning team to manually move it to an earlier slot but that will be dependent on availability. After initially saying that was no good because I need a lot of the stuff today, I’ve said to do that and if it’s not soon I will then cancel it. I have to go out this afternoon but really don’t want to have to do a week’s shop so I’m really hoping they can deliver most of the order within the next day or two. I will still have to go to a shop to get some stuff like milk though as I need that today. If I have to do a big shop I will have to ask shop staff to help me. I do a weekly shop now and plan my menus and write a shopping list. I know that sometimes items will be missing or subbed (although nothing on this order was subbed) so I’ll need to think about what I need for the next few days as I don’t have a lot of food in. There are also one or 2 items that I won’t be able to get anywhere else.

So not a happy bunny. I also had a fetch order coming with it but that isn’t coming either.

10. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Tesco's delivery van broke down once with my order
    They phoned me and apologised and promised to deliver as soon as possible
    My order arrived 3 hours later

Pretty good service I thought

11. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Sounds like they have a better contingency plan than Ocado!

Edit - well the result of today’s shenanigans is that I will not be getting today’s delivery. I’m also a victim of their current policy which means that I can only have one delivery every 7 days, and cannot book a delivery slot within 7 days of an existing delivery or booking. That means that the next available delivery for me is 8th August. I suspect there are available delivery slots this next week, but I can’t have one because I have a delivery booked 1st August. Don’t want to cancel that just on the off chance that I still need it. Customer services tried to re-arrange today’s order but they can’t do it either for the same reasons. So they have moved today’s delivery to 8th August, and then are going to try to get another team to manually move it to an earlier delivery. I don’t know how successful that will be so I’m not counting on it. Or how early next week they’d be able to book it for.

I’ve managed to get a Waitrose slot for Monday tea time. I’ve booked that and ordered a bit more stuff so that should last me until 8th August. I will likely cancel Ocado on 1st August but will hold fire for a bit until I find out whether they can do anything more about today’s delivery. Should Ocado ring me back today to say that they can actually deliver tomorrow or first thing Monday, I will probably say yes and cancel Waitrose, but doubt that will happen. I’m going to go to Sainsbury’s later on to get some bits to last me until the Waitrose delivery.

On the plus side, they have given me a £15 voucher for the inconvenience. Right now I’d rather have the shopping, but eventually I’m sure I’ll be glad of that.

This has all taken the whole morning. I’ve been up since before 5 and talking to Ocado or doing something about it all since 6am.

#871 urbantigers, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Iceland seem to have slots available without long delays ime

13. Happy Paws2

I put my order in on Sunday for a Thursday morning and I was going out Friday to get my meat and few things I'd rather choose myself. It's a good job you can add to your order as for some reason the thought of going out has filled me with fear, I just feel quite ill just thinking of going out, I've never felt like this before really strange.

14. rona

rona Still missing my boys

That is strange considering that you've been out before. Have you heard some local news that has worried you or are you on some new drug?
    My friend has been through an emotional roller coaster fueled by the drugs he takes

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It’s a very strange way we’re all living at the moment.

Even I feel reluctant to go places without checking I’ve ticked all the “safety” boxes .... mask on, hand gel in pocket, scanning the area for “threats” (other people ;)), space available for avoidance tactics etc. I’ll only go in where I can see inside beforehand to check it’s “safe”.

I’m still preferring to get everything delivered (not just groceries) if I can instead of going into a shop.

rona and Bisbow like this.
  16. Happy Paws2

I know it's strange, I've never really given going out a second thought as long as I had my face mask on I felt OK. I have no idea where it's suddenly come from, maybe that there are more people around when I go out I have no idea, but I'm really getting paranoid about it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I've found Sainsburys better this last week or so, this morning I went on the site at 8.00 a.m. (late for me) and there were lots of slots available for Tuesday/Wednesday.

I'm not going out to shop as things seem to be getting worse again now so who knows what will be happening in a couple of weeks or so.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  18. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I was thinking the same thing too. I haven't been out at all but was gearing up to take a trip to my local Tesco this week. Now after the latest news about cases increasing I'm very reluctant to venture out at all.
    I managed to get an Iceland delivery yesterday as I like to use them for a change every few weeks, just for a different variety. I don't know about anyone else but I get fed up buying the same every week.
    I found some reusable masks on there so bought a couple to try so was pleased about that. But not happy, as didn't realise that some of the things I ordered were part of a deal i.e. movie night in, and Sunday dinner deal. I only wanted the 2 bags of spicy wotsits and not the rest of the £5 movie deal. Same with the dinner deal, I only wanted frozen veg, but I couldn't have those without buying the rest of the meal, including a joint, plus wine. Not good Iceland, not good at all.
    Tesco are still ok but the biggie with them is that they've put a blanket charge on all deliveries now, so you pay £3 for flexi no matter what time of day delivery is for, and £4 for a one hour slot.
    They're milking every penny profit aren't they? (just a little rant:mad:)

19. Siskin

I’ve just gone and checked prices on Tesco’s deliveries. Can’t say about about the one hour slot as there are none available, however I’m able to get priority slots and they have risen from £2.00 to £4.50:eek:. Click and collect are all £1.50.

20. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Maybe it's a postcode lottery. Whatever else it is it's still taking the p considering the profits covid has earned them.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice