Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concerning Online Grocery Deliveries During COVID-19 etc.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cully, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Some people have expressed concern regarding this issue, therefore:

This is the main body of the email I received from Tesco regarding online grocery deliveries. I expect other companies who use online delivery services will probably follow somewhat similarly.

QUOTE;
    We understand what a worrying time this is, so we want to make sure that essentials are available to as many customers as possible, and that we can keep delivering to you safely. We’re also working with Public Health England to get their latest advice, so we can prepare for any further developments.

Grocery buying limits
    To help everyone have access to the essentials, we may put some common-sense buying limits on certain products - you’ll be able to see buying limits on the individual product pages. We’ll do our best to keep shelves stocked up but at times, we may have low or no availability of some items. Of course, where possible, we’ll pick a suitable substitute for you which you can choose to keep or ask your driver to take back.

Booking a delivery slot
    As there may be more customers than normal booking deliveries, you may find that there aren’t as many slots available, so it’s a good idea to try and book further ahead. Don’t forget, you can make amends to your order up until 11.45pm on the day before your delivery.

If you’re a Delivery Saver customer on a paid plan, we’ll still be opening priority Easter slots on Monday 16 March. But demand for slots will be exceptionally high, so please book your slots as early as you can.

Deliveries and advice if you are self-isolating
    We want to deliver to you as safely as possible, so please let us know if you’re in self-isolation by telling us in the delivery instructions box when you order online. To be on the safe side, our drivers will be asking everyone they deliver to if they’re self-isolating, so please don’t be offended if you’re asked.

Following the Government’s advice on preventing the spread of COVID-19, if you’re self-isolating, your driver won’t be able to come into your home. But to help make things easier, although we have a bagless policy, we’ll provide clean shopping bags which your driver will use to pack your shopping for you at your door. Lastly, to avoid having to touch our signature touchpad devices, your driver will ask if you’re happy with everything and then sign the order for you.

We hope that this information has been helpful and we’ll do our best to keep your online shopping experience as smooth as possible.

Zoe Evans
    UK Customer Engagement Centre

Terms and conditions

Standard terms and conditions apply. For more details, please visit tesco.com/help/terms-and-conditions. :UNQUOTE

[​IMG]

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

That’s handy, thank you. Despite having an online delivery for next week from Tesco’s we haven’t had this email

MissMiloKitty and lullabydream like this.
  3. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Perhaps because you are a new customer to online shopping with them. You'll probably get one soon.

Siskin likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I haven't had the Tesco email either, so thank you for posting it @Cully :) I'm not a new online customer of Tesco, though more usually over the past few years I've ordered with the Click & Collect system. But right now I prefer to stay right away from the store. :Nailbiting

Cully and lullabydream like this.
  5. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I do my online grocery shopping at Asda and there's been nothing like that from them. Usually get my order the next day, but this time there were no delivery slots for 4 days coz they were completely full. I've never seen so many sold out items either, not even at Christmas!

Cully and lullabydream like this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Terrible isn't it!

7. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

It's worth keep trying with online shopping as I think the difficulties they are having with the sites crashing is affecting what appears to be available. I tried to put in an order with Ocado yesterday but didn't expect to get anything before mid week. although I had a problem getting through checkout - and the app appeared to be completely down - I eventually submitted an order yesterday afternoon for delivery at 9am this morning. That was a big surprise. No substitutions or missing items either.

Lurcherlad, Cully and chillminx like this.
  8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I ordered a Tesco delivery last Monday that arrived on the Wednesday ( the Tuesday was completely sold out for delivery slots when usually I can get pretty much next day delivery ) I managed to get everything I wanted. My sister put an order in tonght and all the slots are full until next Saturday!

It's just crazy all of this. Neither me nor her have had that email from Tesco yet either.

9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Some supermarkets aren't taking any new on-line customers

Sacremist likes this.
  10. purringcats

purringcats PetForums Member

Saw this on the news this morning.

Coronavirus: Supermarkets tell public to be considerate and stop panic buying

British supermarkets are urging the public to be considerate to others and stop panic buying as the number of UK coronavirus cases rises.

Empty shelves, especially in the loo roll and dried pasta aisles, have prompted a joint letter from British Retail Consortium (BRC) members urging consumers to work together to ensure there is enough food for the UK.

As further restrictions are placed on the public to stop the spread of COVID-19, retailers said they are working "round the clock" to help customers get the items they need, the BRC said.

The letter says: "We know that many of you are worried about the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

"We want to let you know that we are doing everything we can so that you and your families have the food and essentials you need.

"But we need your help too. We would ask everyone to be considerate in the way they shop.

"We understand your concerns, but buying more than is needed can sometimes mean that others will be left without.

"There is enough for everyone if we all work together.

"Together we can make sure we are looking out for family, friends, neighbours.

"Together we will care for those around us and those who are elderly, vulnerable or choosing to remain at home."

Firms are working closely with the government and suppliers, and they have arranged for more store deliveries to ensure shelves are stocked, the letter added.

Online delivery and click-and-collect services are running at full capacity to ensure people get the products they need, it added.

Helen Dickenson, chief executive of the BRC, said: "Retailers are working incredibly hard to keep shops well stocked and deliveries running as smoothly as possible.

"In the face of unprecedented demand as a result of coronavirus, food retailers have come together to ask their customers to support each other to make sure everyone can get access to the products they need."

Environment secretary George Eustice welcomed the letter and said: "By working together, our leading supermarkets have provided the reassurance there is plenty of stock available and people should buy products as they normally would.

"We are in regular contact with the food industry and retailers are continuing to monitor their supply chains and are taking all the necessary steps to ensure consumers have the food and supplies they need."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...be-considerate-and-stop-panic-buying-11957735

11. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I would suggest if anyone gets notifications regarding how retailers are managing online deliveries that you might post them here so everyone can stay informed. Especially as so many of us aren't getting the info. Yet!!

12. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Wow, that's not good!! I expect there has been an influx of customers turning to online shopping now. Hopefully things will even out a bit if (!!!) people stop panicking.
    Keep safe and well peeps:Cat

purringcats and Happy Paws2 like this.
  13. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I'll ask them to leave my order in the back yard. My big worry would be not getting a delivery slot.

14. Billbailey

Billbailey Banned

Ocado are queing people on their website but you can get through if you wait a few minutes. There's no slots for the next two weeks but the week after is pretty clear today. I don't know if they've stopped taking on new customers but will post here if I hear anything.

15. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I did an online order with Ocado last night and I had to wait to get on the website (the app appears to still be down) - there was a message saying it would take me approx 5 minutes to access the site and it automatically refereshed about every 20 seconds. I got on after a few minutes and everything worked normally but there was a message saying they were not accepting new customers at the moment. I was able to get a slot for next weekend but others have had to wait longer so I suppose it will depend on your area as much as anything how far ahead slots are booked.

16. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Last Sunday I managed to get an Ocado delivery for tomorrow. I was laughing at what is in my order last night but haven’t bothered to try to amend it, with all the queuing on the website. On Friday I booked an order for the 25th. Both of these orders are just my normal shop. Luckily there are barely ever substitutions as it’s not picked off the shop floor, it’s from a warehouse, so I hope it’ll be alright. Went to Morrison’s real shop yesterday and there was lots of lovely British veg, so I think from a fresh POV we will be okay. Nobody was interested in that. Fruit will be more of an issue I think, until our soft fruit season arrives, but we won’t die without bananas. I might be miserable with grapefruit and other citrus fruits though ;)

rona likes this.
  17. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What was it that stupid MP said..........."we don't need farmers" well this year I think most of us will have to eat a lot more of what British farmers produce!

18. purringcats

purringcats PetForums Member

Due to the increase in demand on Morrisons home delivery website I have booked the next 4 weekly shops because there is not alot of home delivery slots left.

Half the problem is people panic buying they are causing fear and panic amongst people. People need to calm down. Not everyone can stock pile because they live week to week on a weekly wage or benefits or are retired and it is not fair on those on a limited income having to suffer because the selfish people are emptying the supermarkets. Please be considerate to other people even online as well.

Shops in my town have put notices up saying they are limiting purchases of 3 items of one product per person saying be considerate of other shoppers as there is enough to go around.

mrs phas, lullabydream and rona like this.
  19. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Received an email from Sainsburys yesterday

"You will have seen that, due to the ongoing uncertainty around the full impact of Coronavirus, supermarkets have been much busier than usual and customers are choosing to stock up.

I wanted to personally reassure you that we have more food and other essential items coming to us from manufacturers and into our warehouses and distribution centres. If we all shop just for the food that we and our families need, there will be enough for everyone.

I also wanted to let you know that at Sainsbury's, we are working really hard to ensure this remains the case. Over the past two weeks we have:

Ordered more stock of essential items from our suppliers-

Put more capacity into our warehouses and-

Set limits on a small number of items, including some cleaning products, soap and pain relief. This is a precautionary measure - if everyone shops normally, there will be enough for everyone.

There are gaps on shelves because of increased demand, but we have new stock arriving regularly and we're doing our best to keep shelves stocked. Our store colleagues are working tirelessly and doing the best job they can.

Which brings me onto a request. Please think before you buy and only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this then we can make sure we have enough for everyone. And please help elderly and vulnerable friends, family and neighbours with their shopping if you can.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to thank our colleagues who are all working incredibly hard to ensure we can continue to serve our customers well.

Best wishes"

HarlequinCat, Cully and purringcats like this.
  20. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I understand why they are having to do this

Very sensible to only buy what you need

Trouble is, if your family needs the limited stock, how do you then buy for others?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice