Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Concerned owner - advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kram, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kram

Kram PetForums Newbie

We have a 6 year old cat and an 8 year old Lab, which we have both had from kitten/puppy. They get on really well. All good so far....

Now, our daughter has been in Australia for the past 2.5 years and she is returning home for good - happy days. She and her partner are going to stay with us for a little while - probably until the end of Jan, until they can find themselves somewhere to rent.

However, she is bringing home two Kelpies, which she has had from puppies! They are lovely dogs and she has them well trained, but they have never lived with a cat and will almost chase one, given the chance. Also they are both very active, almost hyperactive!!

So, we are very concerned about the cat (Thomas)! He hates it when our dog barks or runs to the front door if someone rings the bell. So he is going to be freaked out by them running around all the time.

Thomas normally sleeps wherever he wants during the day, and in the family room and utility at night.

The utility, where Thomas has his food and there is a bed, will be shut at all times - he can get in via a cat flap

The plan is to try and separate them as much as possible, the dogs will stay in the family room as much as possible and sleep in their bedroom at night, freeing up the family room at night.

During the day, we will encourage Thomas in via the front door, and let him sleep upstairs....

However I am still very worried how he will react, even to the point he may just leave, and I would be devastated if that happened.

Any advice as to how to introduce them or to manage the whole situation, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Kram
    Hi, and welcome:cool:

@ewelsh has integrated dogs and cats and maybe can help.

I would also post over in the dog section to maybe get more views and people who have both dogs and cats.

3. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

Is there no way your daughter can put her dogs in kennels until she has her own place? It seems a little unfair on both Thomas and your own dog to disrupt their lives when it is for such a short period of time. Any attempt at integrating the animals may take quite a while (even introducing 2 cats can take a long time and isn’t always straightforward) and it sounds like you may inadvertently just cause stress to all involved (yourselves included).

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with Orla. For periods of a month or two it really would be best all round for your daughter's dogs to be kennelled. Far less stressful for Thomas and your own dog. If the dogs were in kennels near your home your daughter could visit them every day and take them out for walks etc.

Dumpling, NFC slave, kittih and 4 others like this.
  5. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

If kennels aren’t possible I would keep Thomas in a seperate room completely away from the dogs. If the dogs use his room in a time share he will smell them and never settle. Personally I would keep him in your bedroom and the dogs should sleep downstairs (actually never be allowed upstairs). Otherwise someone will accidentally leave a door open. It’s just not worth the stress for such a sort time.

I had a dog and cats. A neighbour visited once, brought their dog with them (I refused to let her in so dog was just in the garden). Cats were still freaked out and wouldn’t come downstairs for days.

At the very, very least the dogs must be on a lead so they can’t chase him. I kept my Honey dog on a lead for weeks.

Good luck.

kittih, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  6. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

7. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I agree with Orla and Chillminx as well. Thomas has free roam of the house all day, and a couple of rooms at night, and it seems unfair for him to be stuck in one room for several weeks. It's his home as well, and he will just get stressed being confined. All it takes is someone to accidentally leave a door open and Thomas will get chased, or even worse. If the new dogs have their smell in the one room Thomas has, he will stress out even more.
    You are right to be concerned that he may decide to leave; Cats are creatures of comfort and if he feels pushed out, anxious or unsettled, all it may take will be a neighbour fussing him, offering food and a quiet sitting room for him to nap in for him to decide he likes it better there.

Sorry to sound negative, I know you are doing your best for your family and their dogs, but is there an alternative, such as kennels or another relative who would take them in?

Orla, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  8. Kram

Kram PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately kennels or relative not an option, so we need to make the best of the situation. Such mixed emotions, having our daughter home and then the ensuing chaos and disruption.:(

#8 Kram, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  9. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

Truthfully, if kennels aren't an option, I would suggest not having them to stay at all and they just try to find a short term let until they sort out something permanent. I would say it is pretty unfair of your daughter to expect that she can bring dogs to live with you, regardless of whether you have one of your own. You've already said poor Thomas gets upset enough when your own dog barks and gets excitable and he is used to your dog. Can you imagine how he is going to feel if he is being restricted to one room and can hear and smell barking excitable dogs around his turf? He may end up with all sorts of stress related health issues, inappropriate toileting, and potentially large vets bills while you try to sort him out.

Jackie C and chillminx like this.
  10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Interesting that the advice given on the Dog Chat thread is more to the OPs taste.

Clairabella and Orla like this.
  11. Kram

Kram PetForums Newbie

Advice so far, is Kennels or don't let them stay - neither of which are an option. Jaf above is suggesting similar to what they are saying on the dog forum?

Therefore, what do you expect to me say, or are you implying I prefer one over another?

Of course, if you have any useful advice I would welcome it.

12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Because the focus here is on what's best for the cat. I agree with the others. The dogs should be housed elsewhere. Where there's a will there's a way, eh? Not clear why the dogs can't be kenneled for a month. Or put in foster care?

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Or disappear all together. :(

Jackie C likes this.
  14. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

If it is a finance issue maybe you could try to speak to some local rescues and see if there are any fosterers who would be able to take them?

15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'm saying that I wouldn't put my cats in this situation.

I appreciate you are trying to do what's best, but what you decide to do if it isn't either kennels or not allow them to stay will upset your cat.

16. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Exactly.

I'm not a dog person (I don't dislike dogs, I've just never "owned" a dog), so I am no expert, but looking at the breed on the internet, this could be a disaster for your poor cat!
    https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/australiankelpies.html

No matter how "well trained" the dogs might be, the breed is very excitable, and need A LOT of "vigourous exercise". After a long journey, is your daughter really going to want to immediately take the dogs out for a walk to calm them down? What also concerns me is that the breed, according to the website, "Chasing and nipping at things that move....other animals." Someone on the dogs forum also said they're very "cat reactive". The dogs will want to get to the cat, and all it takes is for one second for someone to leave a door or gate open, and the dogs will try their hardest to get to the cat. Let's face it, they are a breed of dog which won't just sleep all day, then go out for a walk. No matter how well they are trained, this is a trait of the breed.

TBH, if I was having people staying, no matter how much I loved them, how much I was anxious to see them, I would not have any dog in my home, even for an hour. It's my cats home. she feels safe here, and I wouldn't want her to feel insecure, even for an hour.

Could you maybe board the dogs for just a week? Your family stay for a week whilst you look for somewhere temporary for them?

Sorry I sound so negative, I wish I had more positive advice to give. I know you want wants best for your cat and your family, but I can't see this working without your cat being traumatised. Good luck.

edit..... Could someone take your cat in for the month? If there is no alternative, this would be better than potential accidents and trauma.

Betty6691, Orla, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  17. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

edited

18. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Have nothing much more to add then I agree with all the above comments and hope you can find a solution that suits all.

19. Kram

Kram PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately it is not so straightforward - trust me!

Only today i thought about Thomas going into cattery for a month, at least i know he will be fine!

I hardly slept last night worrying...

20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Thomas going into a good cattery for a month and you visiting him frequently sounds a better solution to me than him being at home with the two lively strange dogs.

AmsMam and kittih like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice