Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

concerned over vaccine

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by catcoonz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Ok, so i have been told by a vet, owner of one of my kittens, that they are surprised my vets still use Purevax vaccine as this offers no protection to kittens and is a waste of money.

Interested to know other breeders thoughts and what vaccine is used at 9 weeks old please.

Sadly i have contacted both veterinary surgeries near to me and both only use Purevax.

Purevax "highly discredited" is the words used so obviously i am now concerned my special kittens are not covered for illnesses, although none have been ill.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

worrying - I will have to check up to see what mine uses

3. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Purevax is a Homopathy vaccine, not sure what to do now.
    The vet who has taken one of my kittens has said he is now going to restart vaccinations using another vaccine, i will ask what vaccine he intends to use.

4. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

im sure my vet uses that vaccine :001_huh:

5. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Who told you that, Catcoonz? Purevax is a pretty standard, traditional type vaccine used by many vets.

6. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

My coonies have had this too , not sure about molly ( Sara has just posted tho) lets not panic :)...... call me a cynic , could this possibly be scaremongering .. CC has your vet , given you solid proof ? .. My girls are all ok .... jesus it's a bliddy minefield with what's right and what's wrong .... :(

7. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

A new kitten owner who is a vet himself and the wife is a vet nurse, they called me today to tell me.

All vets near me uses Purevax.

8. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

I didn't know vets used homeopathy vaccines, I will check mine now too,
    Mine are Novibac Tricat, , except one of them is just numbers

9. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I didnt know Purevax was a homopathy vaccine, its the vaccine vets in my area use so i didnt question anything.

10. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

the manufacturers website doesn't mention anything about it being homeopathic
    PUREVAX®
    I can't see why it would be ineffective :confused:

11. gskinner123

It actually says on that web page 'modified live virus'. I don't know what book that vet is reading from, Catzoonz!

12. lisajjl1

lisajjl1 PetForums Member

Novibac Tricat and Purevax are used by most vets I have ever used in 20 years of vaccinating kittens, the only difference I am actually aware of is that Tricat is a live vaccine and Purevax is a modified one....that and the fact that Tricat is routinely stocked all the time at my vets surgery but Purevax I have to order in in batches of ten which sometimes means not all are used and have to be fridged for me at the vets.

I don't believe the information given about Purevax being discredited is correct at all or has any basis in fact. Could you maybe ask for an article or reference to research showing this???

13. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Purevax contains live (modified), killed (inactivated) and recombinant FeLV vaccines. It's because of this mixture that I don't use it but until and unless I see proper evidence that it has been 'discredited' then I'll reckon that vet is talking out of the wrong hole.

I won't sell to vets or vet nurses. Every friend who has done has had nothing but trouble and I've taken note. They bring enormous pressure to take the kitten very young and do the vaccinations themselves and want a hefty discount for doing so. They claim a 'professional' knowledge and I've even known them try to insist a breeder feeds kittens on whatever they happen to sell.

14. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Havoc, this is exactly how the vet and vet nurse wanted things.
    I got told never to feed raw but dry food is a better food as it may avoid dental issues later, before i would have believed this but not now.

They didnt want vaccinations to be done in the first place, neither microchip, they wanted the kitten at 9 weeks old, said they will choose their own vaccine, microchip at the time of neutering, neutering to be taken place at 6 months and not before due to kittens going through enough with vaccines.

Thankyou for you all putting my mind at rest regarding Purevax, i did email to ask for research based on what they told me, reply was this is how we do it at our veterinary practise.

Learnt now to avoid vet sales, it appears to be their way and no other way is good enough.

I have been informed by the owner to ask new owners what vaccine they would prefer rather than purevax, i tried to explain i have 3 vets near me who all do purevax, no point in offering a vaccine i cant do.

I do have an email but cant copy and paste so will write this out word for word.

15. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I wish I could say your experience is atypical but it isn't. I've had novice breeder on the phone in an absolute panic after a kitten visit from someone who turns out to be a vet. I used to advise the breeder to just hold their ground but now I suggest they return any deposit and save themselves further hassle.

#15 havoc, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  16. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Reply received after i asked for research proof.

We understand that XXXX (X=Kittens name) has been vaccinated using a homeopathic remedy purevax. Homeopathy is widely discredited. Given the high-end service you provide in breeding/selling pedigree kittens it seems unusual that said kittens would be sold with vaccinations that provide no protection whatsoever.
    While this is, of course, your choice, it should probably be made more clear that this is the case that it is the choice of those who purchase your kittens to have to repeat vaccinations with mainstream vaccines with proven efficacy.

We would always recommend vaccination using Licensed Veterinary Products and will be pursuing vaccinations for XXXX.

17. gskinner123

How peculiar. Leaves you wondering if the person really IS a vet.

18. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I'd answer them with the following

Thank you for your email. The information and datasheet for Purevax can be found here

NOAH Compendium of Animal Medicines: Purevax RCPCh FeLV lyophilisate and solvent for suspension for injection - Introduction

I am surprised that as a vet you are not aware of NOAH as a site to check for all licensed veterinary products. I will forward your email to both Merial and the vet who vaccinated my kittens for their comments. I'm sure they will be concerned to hear of your claims.

#18 havoc, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Doesn't it just :)

20. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice