Concerned Giant Day Gecko

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by FreddyGecks, Apr 26, 2018.

1. FreddyGecks

FreddyGecks PetForums Newbie

Hey,

I have a Giant Day Gecko, who is almost eight months old, we bought them from a reptile store. We have never sexed our Gecko, so we don't know what gender the Gecko is, it doesn't matter to us. we have only have one gecko set up in 18x18x24 tank, we are going to get a bigger tank in the a few months for more space. We have a live vivarium set up. Our Gecko is about 6 1/2 inches in size, we have called the gecko Fred, this is our first gecko of any time, so we are new to this and trying to make sure that everything we do is correct.

Up until Monday Fred has been acting happy and normal, and Fred seemed normal Monday morning. I wasn't witness to this, but my boyfriend was, he watched Fred eat what looked like a white/yellowish sticky flatten mash-mellow that was stuck to the side of the tank, it didn't look like Fred's poop. We haven't seen anything like it before, and nothing in the tank should have put it there. Apparently Fred licked it a few times and then just ate it. Afterwards we noticed that Fred looked really skinny, like all the fat was sucked out of the lower part of the abdominal near the rear legs.

Fred seem okay for the rest of the day, however when I was taking out the water bowl out to put fresh in, Fred got out (for less than two minutes). Not far only on the light on the tank (NOT THE HOT LIGHT, onto the box for the light which gives natural light). We quickly got Fred into the tank using a plastic box, so obviously Fred panicked a little and got stressed. We are still letting Fred get use to us so we haven't actually physically handled him/her yet. Fred spent the rest of the day at the back of the tank, as expected.

The following day Fred didn't seem active at all, staying at the back, not really interested in food or anything. Drinking more than normal. Fred shredded their skin,usually they eat it but didn't. After doing so became a little more active right before the time the light usually goes off.

Today Fred hasn't really improved much, has eat a little more but barely at all, has moved around a little more but again not much. I can't tell if Fred has put any weight on yet, but they still aren't acting themselves at all, I'm really worried, I'm not experienced with Geckos and I want to make sure that everything is okay, we don't want to stress the gecko out any more than what they haven't already been through. I've contacted a reptile place over the phone for advice and they said that it seems like Fred is a girl and has probably laid an egg but it's unusual for females to eat the eggs and that Fred should put the weight on in a couple days.

I just want to make sure that Fred is okay, The only thing that has been different to normal in the past week is we gave Fred some tropical fruit mix-ins Mango, Fred wasn't really fused with it, and didn't really bother with eating it. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this with their gecko, I'm really worried, I don't want to cause any more stress to Fred, I'm going to give it a couple more days and if Fred hasn't improved in weight and become more active then I'm going to take them to vets. Fred loves crickets but is completely un-bothered by them at the moment, just sits looking darker than normal towards the back of the tank.

Any one that could give advice or information, it would be really appreciated.

2. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

It is possible Fred laid and then ate an egg. Boost the nutrients, calcium etc you offer him/her as laying eggs can really take it out of them and could be why they look so thin now..

Keep an eye out for any signs of more eggs.

Also, if you are using live plants, make sure that you thoroughly rinse them to ensure there are not any pesticides or fertiliser/plant food etc as these are toxic to animals.

Fertiliser can be seen in the soil of potted plants, sometimes they will be little white/yellow balls. Make sure that it's not that which Fred has eaten.

If you're concerned, I would recommend a trip to a reptile/exotic vet for a check over just to be safe.

3. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

How is Fred looking today?

4. FreddyGecks

FreddyGecks PetForums Newbie

Fred is almost completely back to normal, active again and improved eating. Seems very wary of us at the moment but I think that's down to when we tried to stop him/her from escaping the tank. We haven't seen any other white things in the tank, I've had a quick look but nothing I'll keep an eye out if there is any others. Fred still is a little skinny around hips but has put on some weight compared to the other day!

We added an extra piece of bamboo into the tank which Fred has been climbing all over all day today so dramatically improved today. Still keeping an eye though

5. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

Oh I am so pleased to hear he seems to be doing better!

I hope he continues to get well