Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concerned Anout New Dog. (Help Please)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rick_charles, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Rick_charles

Rick_charles PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I've currently just taken on a two year old alsation from a previous owner. We've had the dog about 3-4 days and he's settled in fine but when he poo's it seems to be really sloppy, we assumed this was to him being anxious about leaving his last owners but he also very slim to the point wher eyou can see his ribs so i wondered whether it could be malnutrition?

Thanks
    Rick

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Maybe get a quick vet check and weigh in so you will know what is going on health wise. Also get him on a good brand of dog food.

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Take him to the vet and get him to check if he's at a good weight you really shouldn't be able to see a gsds ribs. Get him on a good food slowly of course.

4. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

just gone through this with my dane,he came with a good "quality food"
    i put him on boiled chicken n rice for a week then gradually introduced small amounts of chappie complete,it took about 3 weeks to sort him out but he was pooing pools of brown water,happy to say hes great now,can eat anything,i also feed raw,the chicken wings are great for keeping the poops firm

5. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I would take a trip to the vets just to rulse our any unline problems!
    But this could be as simple as the change of diet, stress even down to the change of water!!
    Like the first two posters said graudually change him over to a good quality food!

6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Did the prev owners give u any history?
    The poo, when u sy sloppy is it like large yellow cow pats?
    Just being skinny and diarrhoea could indicate a malabsorption problem.
    GSD's are very prone to a condition known as exocrine pancreatic insufficency (epi) where they are unable to absorb and utalise fat in the diet, they lose weight are ravenous all the time and produce vast quantities of yellow vile smelling diarrhoea.
    This also may be the reason the prev o did not want the dog?
    It is treatable but can work out fairly costly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice