Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concerned about new kitten- is it stress?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by nn89, Aug 18, 2009.

1. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum but do hope to stick around, due to getting 2 beautiful little kittens yesterday!

They're almost 9 weeks old, and have had (from what i've seen) two meals since they came home at 9pm last night.

The ginger kitten (tabitha) seems to not have a problem using the litter tray, apart from making a mess afterwards lol! :eek: However I am concerned about her right eye, now and again she'll look at me, and it'll look a bit jammy and she'll have a problem opening it up, not always but im keeping an eye on it!

However the black kitten (florence) i'm having a few problems with, she seems to have rather nasty diaorrhea ever since ive brought her home, and has been pooing in the corner of my living room (the room they're confined too) i've now placed the litter tray in that area, and she has been getting in and out of the tray, and has crouched down, but from what ive seen done nothing. Its the diaorrhea i'm really concerned about, naturally due to the dehydration aspect they've got fresh tap water avaliable next to food, and obviously the meals they've had contain water I just don't know when it'll be appropiate to take her to the vet.

I'm assuming, the diaorrhea may be linked to the stress, they're both naturally very timid and exploring their new area right now (and getting behind fridges and ovens..grrr!!) however have been grooming and play fighting more than they did yesterday.

The litter tray habit, i'd love to be able to pop them on there after a meal, and in the morning/evening however i'm wary not to be picking them up right now, as when I did last night the black one (florence) did a poo there and then, plus I want them to settle in and get used to me first

SO, after a very long and ranty post, to sum up

1. tips on the litter tray issue, how often should kittens use it?
    2. When to seek medical advice over the diaorrhea, is it normal fo new kittens to have a bit of an upset tummy when they first move in?
    3. Tips on helping them settle down a bit more, get used to me, I'm trying playing a bit with a piece of string, talking to them etc- on the right track?

and thanks :)

Anna

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Welcome

I cant really answer these questions for you but i can say that when my kittens left us they did not have the runs. It may well be stress, change of food or change in water

I hope they are better soon

3. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

Thats what im thinking, the change etc may be causing it, they're going to the vets on friday for kitten check up and vaccinations, however if she's still having diaorrhea by tomorrow i may take her in early

4. Spaniel mad

I would. Cant be nice for a small kitten to have the runs like that

5. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

Definately, I want to try and push her to have some water, but its the picking up bit that I want to avoid, they're sleeping at the moment, behind my sofa have completely ignored the bed i bought for them! :cursing:

So hopefully she may do a poo later, she keeps going round the tray, crouching and doing nothing! Which is a good sign I guess, better than on my carpet :p

6. Spaniel mad

All my cats prefer to sleep in other places other then their bed lol

7. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Okay....firstly sometimes within the first few days of going to their new homes kits can get a runny bum due to stress and/or change of water if a different area.

Suggest you take away the kitten food and give them something really bland like cooked white fish with/without a little boiled rice mixed in and add a couple of tablespoons of cooled boiled water over the fish to ensure they are getting some fluid. You can also give them a little cooked chicken again with/without a little boiled rice mixed in. Leave them on this for say 24 hours and see if there is any change and gradually reintroduce the kitten food.

Are you using the same litter as the person who had them previously. It may be the kitten doesn't like the litter you have in the tray - try a completely different type. If it is clumping - try non clumping or wood pellets or recycled paper. It's just trial and error really to see what they prefer. You could try Kitten Attract Cat Litter - not cheap though!

8. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

Oo thanks, I'll try the white fish/rice approach, give them some fibre and water :) It won't mess around their bowels though will it changing and swapping food etc?

I dont know about the litter the previous owner was usng, its non clumping, so may get a different brand if by tomorrow she's still not doing her buisnes! Its really hard, as when shes crouching down on the litter tray, tabitha comes up and starts batting her tail and wanting to play! Ah cats eh!

9. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Hi

When we got Alfie he had diarrhea for a week and half after we brought him home. I tried the bland chicken diet and this didnt work so after 3 days took him to the vets. His advice was to start simple and asked me to worm him and see if that was the problem. He didnt seem that concerned as Alfie was drinking plenty, had not been sick and was very active. Has Florence been wormed? If not this might be a good start?

Kerry

10. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

The fish/rice diet shouldn't upset their stomachs at all - but Kezzy has made a good point about worming them. You could try to get a hooded litter tray as this may stop the other kitten upsetting Florence whilst she is trying to go.

11. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

Im going to deworm them later, i think thats what it may be! They're both very very active, little scamps! I have to really chase them when i want my '5 mins on chest' with them!

On the plus side, she's gone and done a poo in the litter tray :D so am very proud, and sat her on my lap and gave her a treat (after 5 mins of chasing!)

12. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

When I got Heniu he had runny poo for about a week or just over a week. Boiled chikcen breat with a bit of water sorted him out. also you must deworm your cats as this may be the problem as well. They will settle down. I was as much worried as you when I got Heniu as I am total novist when it comes to kittens.

In terms of water drinking I would suggest buying a water fountain. I bought Catit Water fpuntain fro about £20.00 (check on ebay as they are cheaper).

Did you consider buying automatic cat feeder as well? Small kittens need to be fed small but often. I use one as i am away at work all day, there for I can be sure my kitten is fed well. I would recommend Trixit T4 automatic cat feeder for about £25-30 (again check ebay as its cheaper).

Hope this helps.

13. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

My kitten is almost 9 weeks and he runs with the speed of a lightening! They will come to you once the settled. and dont worry about the litter tray, they will learn quickly. Actually Heniu went into the tray straight away and not even once had an accident.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice