Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concerned about my kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by slavetorobbie, Jun 30, 2010.

1. slavetorobbie

slavetorobbie PetForums Member

Robbie's coming up to 4 months old now and still as playful as always. I'm worried about him at the moment as he is becoming really out of breath when he plays and is panting like a dog. He did it a few times when I first had him, usually after a crazy long play session but now he's doing it after just a couple of minutes playing/running... The vet told me a few weeks ago it's normal but I'm not sure. I know it's hot at the moment, but just now he was asleep and jumped up for a cuddle and as soon as I held him he started panting. I am going to take him to the vets but just wondered if anyone can shed some light as I am panicking a little tonight and have to leave him tomorrow :-(

2. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

If it's quite warm where you are, it can definitely be because of the heat. It's a good idea to let a vet check him out though. Just to be sure :)

3. slavetorobbie

slavetorobbie PetForums Member

It is warm in the flat and I can't open windows much as he's desperate to get out, but I do have the fan on all the time. Is there anything else I can do, do you think?

4. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Spartacus pants when she plays - especially in the hot weather.

We dropped an ice cube on the floor and not only did she have a brillaint time playing with it - she licked all the cold puddles after.

She now gets an ice cube when we have a lolly ice!

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

You could put a bowl of cold water with ice in infront of the fan that will make the air cooler :) hope its nothing more than heat good luck at the vets.

6. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

My Kitten does this when she's been running around like a nutter which is an awful lot of the time, i've noticed its gotten worse since the weather got stupidly hot.

I put ice cubes in her water bowl a couple of times a day so she can have something nice and cold to drink.

7. Smitherooney

Smitherooney PetForums Member

Hiya, my kitten, Smithy is 5 months old today. He is doing the same things. Running around like a mad man, getting out of breath. He is also teething. ie getting his new adult teeth & I've read on the internet it can be that as I was worried also like you. Their gums get sore, etc like toddlers & makes them restless, etc.
    Worth a thought!

Lou x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice