Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concerned about my dogs claw - in need of advice!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Bethb25, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Bethb25

Bethb25 PetForums Newbie

Hello to anybody who reads this post and thanks :)

Just wondering if anyone could help...
    we’ve just got back from picking up our two Maltese terriers Rocky (6 yrs old) and Rex (12 yrs) from a groom. Our groomer mentioned she was concerned about Rex’s claws, two of his nails have turned to a brittle dark brown that almost looks like wood (sorry hard to explain, please see photo). She said she had seen this before linked to cancer on other pet groups/forums and said to get him checked asap. She also said this nail had grown a lot faster than the rest and said it was almost ‘spongy’ when she tried to cut it.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before with their dogs maybe it’s an infection/ fungal nail? I have had a good search online but can’t find anything like it. Any advice is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

@Blitz is this like that nail condition your dog had? Or is it something entirely different?

Blitz likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It does not sound the same. Candy's nails fell right off. Every nail had gone within a couple of weeks then grew back very slowly and constantly split and broke off again for a couple of years. They are stubby things now but quite sound though she still feels sore on the front feet . I even had to clip her dew claws a while back - after 8 years.

I wonder if the OP's dog has a fungal infection. Can't see any reason why it would be linked to cancer but would be an idea to get the vet to check it out.

Torin., niamh123 and lullabydream like this.
  4. Christine1952

Christine1952 PetForums Newbie

Alfie is to undergo his third toe amputation tomorrow,so we know a bit about toe cancer .what happened to Alfie was he nail fell off or broke off and will not grow back.he went in for a scan and it was cancer in his nail bed.so my advice is to ask the vet to do a biopsy of his toe and surrounding tissue or refer to a consultant.alfies his problem has been over four years but he has recovered very well after each operation( touch wood)it is better to find out sooner then worry of the weeks on different types of antibiotics .so you can get it sorted it is more common then people think more so in dark coated dogs by the oncologist nobody really know why.good luck Iam sure your dog will be fine .

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think there was something like that on that Paul O'Grady show about Battersea - last year maybe? But could have been a repeat. That was a cancer I think. If the dog hadn't recovered and been re-homed, it wouldn't have been on TV.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice