Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concerned About Friends Love of Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jul 22, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

My friend of 9 years has two lovely dogs. Best behaved pair I know, one she has had since a pup and the other she rescued from Ireland last year who is now 2.

My friend has always had issues, lots of bad things have happened to her. Most recently her partner left her. She has money troubles too.

Anyway, she has found a way to keep her home, but has said today that she wants a third dog, a collie.

She loves her dogs, but she works full time. They get exercise at the weekend as do agility and flyball, but not much in the week. The dogs she has now are perfect together, and I feel a third one will upset the balance. I also feel she doesnt have the time or money, as she is so stretched at the moment.

I dont want to offend her, but I dont want to see troubles between the dogs or her with her money issues.

Any suggestions? Or do I just keep out!

Thanks

2. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I would tell her your concerns BUT i'm sure she knows her money and time management better than you do.

As a friend just say your worried she will be taking on too much and if you weren't thinking of her you wouldn't say anything.

Good luck

3. mr.stitches

I will tell her how i feel in a nice way! I know she does know more about her time and money, but she hasnt been able to afford a food shop for months and has been living off of porridge and toast. Iv offered to help but its not wanted.

Im a worrier so im worrying over this!

But yes, I guess I should say my concerns and leave it at that.

4. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

you should talk to her. i wouldn't tell her not to get another dog , just exsplane to her that you think it would be better to wait a while. tell her what you think about the dogs she has just now and your concern that a new dog just now may upset the balence.

5. mr.stitches

thank you kendal

btw, i love your dogs!!!! gorgeous x

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I would tell her that I thought it was a bad idea. Collie's need a lot of exercise and stimulation and if she does not get much time to walk them in the week, then she is asking for trouble.

If it were me I would come right out and say it! x

7. clayrelouise

clayrelouise PetForums Newbie

I have 2 border collie sisters 10 months old and they require ALOT of exercise. She wont be able to just exercise a collie over the weekend otherwise her home will be destroyed!

I work full time but mine are walked every morning and evening and go to obidience training twice a month..they also get a quick walk in the afternoon as my father in law pops over nown and again for me to check on them...
    Even with all this exercise and the big walks at the weekend they are still a handfull and need to be pre-occupied all the time!!

If i were you i would do what everyone else has suggested and just give her your opinion nicely as you dont want to upset her....it seems to me as though she is maybe trying to replace her partner with a new dog because she feels alone??
    Collies and all dogs really are such fantastic companions and are so affectionate and loving but she'll have to put alot of work in. :) xx

8. mr.stitches

I do think your right, she would have 100 dogs if she could!

Im not brave enough to come right out and say stuff - getting a bit better with age!

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

You could always ask her if she was a rescue centre would she re-home to someone in her position. Poor soul sounds as if she just wants someone else to love after her partner leaving :sad:, the dog just might be a substitute for him.

Terri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice