Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Concern for 3 week old puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by BlueIris1*, Sep 4, 2018.

1. BlueIris1*

BlueIris1* PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I recently had a litter of pups who are all healthy and I have put a lot of time into hand feeding as my female was really struggling to cope with 10 puppies. She was producing more than enough milk to the point where the vet has been talking about putting her on a hormonal treatment.

She had a litter of 9 females and one Male. The pup I’m concerned about is the only Male and wanted to know if anyone could advise me on what to do.

I have noticed that our Male puppy is crying a lot and it’s not for food as I regualarly offer this to him and he is eating very well. He is also going to the toilet with no problems and his stools are a good consistency and colour.

The only way I can stop him from crying is to pick him out and let him cuddle with me. I thought he could be sensitive to cold and because mum doesn’t want too much to do with them I gave them nice warm blankets which they all curl up in. Sometimes he is happy to curl up and sleep with his siblings but most of the time he is struck to me or climbing my legs because he wants to be with me.

He will happily sleep with the litter on the rare occasions mum decides she wants to feed them or sleep with them.

He also doesn’t want to play with his siblings but instead gets playful and tries to play with me.

I have never breed before, I didn’t plan this litter. My husband work went into liquidation and wouldn’t pay him for months right around the time we could spayed our female. She went to stay with my mum during this time and despite telling her she wasn’t spayed yet . They didn’t make sure she was seperated from any males in the house hold who weren’t neutered. feel so stupid for sending her there. Should have seen this coming and feel like a terrible owner. I feel like a lot of these problems is because mum was too young ( is currently a year and 2 months old).

I am very concerned about the Male pup getting all the critical social interactions he needs with his litter mates and mother . I’m also concerned that he can’t be rehomed because he seems to have grown a very strong love for me and I’m not entirely sure I can take on a third dog right now with a baby due in only a short couple of weeks.

I’m also wondering if maybe I should take the puppy to the vet but he isn’t running a temperature, is eating and drinking fine. Likes playing and goes to the toilet normally . So I’m not sure there is anything the vet can even do.

I was wondering if anyone knew what could be wrong with the puppy or what I can do to help him and give him the best start in life. If I have to keep him , I will because I’d hate for him to end up in a shelter or worse put down

The puppy is a Lurcher cross border collie.

Mum has a history of anxiety which is one of the reasons why I’m so upset that she landed up being bred.

Attached Files:

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

How old are these pups?

If they are 3 weeks plus, I assume they are being weaned and that you have already wormed them?

You will be able to rehome the male pup, as he will not be very attached to you. He's attracted to you as his human. If he's reluctant to play with his siblings, it could be the play is too rough for him and he's unhappy with it.

You can often get one pup in a litter who is a 'wimp', (for want of a better word), and these pups are often more vocal than the others.

So long as he's eating, not vomiting and doesn't have diarrhea, I wouldn't worry.

I would weight him every day, to ensure he is gaining weight and make sure he is warm enough, particularly overnight.

#2 Rafa, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  3. BlueIris1*

Hi Rafa They are three weeks and 1 day old. Also I have wormed them but I only just found out the stuff I used only protects them from ringworm which is of slight concern to me. Also thankyou I will be keeping an eye on his weight.

4. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Do you mean ROUND rather than Ringworm? Ringworm is a fungal infection which you treat when present> Roundworm is a parasite which you treat regularly to eradicate.

Burrowzig likes this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

At 3 weeks, they really only need to be wormed for roundworm/threadworm, so that wormer should be okay.

If it wasn't prescribed by your Vet, I would ask him for a suitable wormer and worm the puppies again two weeks after you previously did and continue to worm them at two week intervals until they go to their new homes.

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

You have put a lot of time into hand feeding and the male puppy has received a lot of your attention however as they are now being weaned it is time to step away. Each puppy needs a few moments a day of being handled of course and around three weeks of age I generally introduce other humans into the mix (generally their new owners). However, even if your male puppy complains he must now be left to work out the social skills required to be part of canine society. He may not wish to play and that is fine, some pups will prefer their own company or climb on mum instead but ahead of him is most probably the most formative time for bonding and learning from his own kind. Mums tend to step away at this time too....so keeping the room warm is important but he must be left to play with (or move away from) from his siblings. And when they are getting milk feed them in shifts.

J

Rafa likes this.
  7. BlueIris1*

No it didn’t come to the vet but I will deffinetly go to him and get that so I can start giving them the prescribed stuff instead thankyou

Rafa likes this.
  8. BlueIris1*

Thankyou for the advice it’s really helpful and I will deffinetly try to put a bit of distance between us and try to give every puppy a bit of a cuddle.

I have two potential new owners coming tomorrow and my friend has started to occasionally pop around so I’m already starting to get them more used to strangers

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice