Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

complete meals ?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mckitty, May 15, 2010.

1. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

which complete meals do you give your cat ?

after seeing bracken outside with a couple of other cats, hes so small and i dont think im feeding him what i should

he gets purina one chicken and rice biscuits and feline fayre pouches

what do you recommend ? he only really likes chicken, tuna and salmon

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! Could he just be a small, lithe cat? Unless he is bony- i.e. you can feel the spine on his back, he could just be one of the smaller variety ones.

Re food, Feline Fayre is a food that is quite low in fat (the blue complementary sachets contain about 1-2% fat; the black complete ones about 2%; when there should be about 5%).

How much of the dry are you feeding him and how many sachets of Feline Fayre does he get (and which ones? Blue or Black?).

There are many different complete wet foods that have a high meat content, which tend to contain chicken, salmon or tuna flavours, and that will not break the bank such as:

- Bozita - 93% meat content in their tetrapacks and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus. (about 4% fat). Bozita also do a tinned version, which is a pate that has 97% meat and 5% fat
    - Purely has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home. About 2% fat
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places. About 6% fat
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc (about 2% fat)
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type. About 2% fat
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Luxury
    - Porta 21 - tends to be whole meat tuna (46%) and the rest broth; very low fat 0.5%; available from zooplus. Porta is a bit like complementary food in terms of its texture but it is a complete food. Just low on fat. You could add some goose fat to fatten it up a bit.

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen (Joe & Jills) - 90% meat content, about 8 - 10% fat - available from them directly - Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat; 5.5% fat - available from them directly: Lily's Kitchen • Organic Dog Food, Organic Cat Food • Natural Complete Pet Food • Certified Holistic, Ethically produced • Natural dog food, Grain free cat food.
    -Grau - 89% meat content and 4% wholegrain rice; 5.5% fat - available from zooplus
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat, about 4-6% fat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day
    - Ziwi Peak - new to the UK market; 62% meat content and 6-10% fat - available from the bern per food website - based on the raw feeding principle: http://www.bernpetfoods.co.uk/acatal...t_Cuisine.html

In addition to changing his wet food, if that is what you want to do, you could also consider changing to a higher protein, higher fat dry food, such as Orijen, Applaws or Acana, that contain about 75% meat, and no wheat and other fillers (as your Purina One does).

Hope that helps!

#2 hobbs2004, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
    mckitty likes this.
  3. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

hes only bony around his shoulder blades, hes 19 months and grown a bit lately, his head is bigger and he looks more like a cat these days

hes outside alot and im out all day so i guess just about two bowls of biscuits at the most and maybe one pouch of feline fayre tops ? sometimes not even that

he has the blue pouches as he doesnt like the black pouches or tins, he just leaves them and wont eat them

i know the blue pouches are just complimentary and fish isnt a complete meal but he does like them and eat them, i cant find much info about complete meals via google :(

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I have just edited my post with some complete brands you can get.
    Hope that helps but holler if you need more info :thumbup:

5. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

great, thanks x

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Just wondering, do you know how much dry food (in terms of weight) you are feeding him a day? I know you say about 2 bowls but is that the recommended daily portion or less.

You could start weighing out his dry food and see whether he eats what he should be eating. Just wondering ...:eek:

7. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

no i dont, i always leave biscuits and water out for him, very rarely does he eat it all and it often ends up with half eaten biscuit crumbs in it so i chuck it away and fill the bowl up with fresh biscuits, hes never without food

i think he should be eating more but hes never without and just has the occasional nibble

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

What a pickle! Could it be that he is not that keen on the dry food? Orijen, Acana and I think Applaws do trial packs that you could test to see whether he eats them with more gusto.

Also, I would weight the food for a couple of days. How much you put in and how much is left before you chuck it to see how much he is actually eating.

Or forget about the dry completely and change over to a good quality wet?

9. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

i think your spot on, i can tell he doesnt want to eat the purina sometimes, he used to have hi life, is that a complete food ? maybe get that again ?

ill pick up some scales from argos later

thanks for your help x

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No worries! Hilife dry? Don't know it but all dry food is complete (as far as I know). I know I keep harping on about orijen and co but IMO they are the better dry food as they contain no grains! Or check out ziwi peak dry - most interesting dry food that isn't dry but dried wet.

The wet is complete.
    Sounds as though it is time for a change in dry and wet!

Fingers crossed he will soon be eating properly

11. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

the hi life wet pouches, the reason i give bracken dry food is it can be left out longer than wet food as sometimes if other half is away to work then we try and keep bracken in so hes got his food and water, cat litter and bed etc

12. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

All the Hilife wet pouches are complete, as far as I know :) some have a higher meat content than others, though (some labels can be as little as 45% and as high as 70%)

mckitty likes this.
  13. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

the ones i used to get were 65%, since ive been on this forum, im obsessive about meat content of pouches lol, thanks to you guys x

14. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Haha, same! My cat gets the 60% pouches.

I have noticed recently that HiLife also do several Complimentary foods that come in little tins - high in meat also - so probably check the pouches/tins you get do say "complete" on them just to be on the safe side :D

15. minxthelinx

minxthelinx PetForums Newbie

at the moment I am feeding my 2 cats complete dry food (iams) and still they wolf it and are sick I have tried everything any ideas???? only feeding them small and 2 times a day as I work all day. :confused1:

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Cotton is a small cat. She usually has one pouch of feline fayre and applaws dry but she's due to have kittens so she's eating a lot more.

17. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

they do those little tins in my Wilkinsons, and my kitten is crazy for them :D

18. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

thanks, got bracken some hi life chicken pouches from morrisons this morning

ill keep giving him purina one which is easier to leave out aswell, theyre both complete meals so hopefully hell grow now :)

19. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ditch the dry and get him on a high meat content wet food....Bozita, Animonda Carny or Porta 21 all from Zooplus. You will get a sleek, muscular happy cat!

20. mckitty

mckitty PetForums VIP

hey, hes turned his nose up at the hi life chicken so far and has prefered the dry, he used to love hi life

i dont remember hi life being so jellyfied, it really doesnt even look as good quality as the feline fayre ?

paddypaws, i leave bracken in by himself sometimes and the dry biscuits are better to leave for him than the pouches

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice