Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Complementary cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Temporally_Loopy, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Bertie has recently discovered (with my assistance) both Applaws and Encore which he absolutely adores. For those who are not familiar, they are c. 75% fish or meat with broth and a very small amount of rice.

Only after I purchased them (I was just pleased to find something that he falls on but which has a high "real protein" content - otherwise his diet would consist of Sheba and Miamour) did I realise that they are marketed as complementary as they don't contain any additional taurine or other such.

My question is, how much of his wet food can I replace each day. He is currently having three meals of wet food (plus unlimited dry) and a "snackette" of wet food at bed time (if we are very late retiring for the night). He is now six months old and weighs approximately 7.5lbs.

Will it be okay to replace one whole meal a day with Encore or Applaws as I really want him to start eating more pure protein or good quality food and he will no longer eat his Nature's Menu / Feringa / Smilla or anything else pate like.

Thank you.

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

The usual advice is that no more than 10% of the diet is made up of complimentary foods; basically think of it as a treat food.

I seem to remember that there are a couple of Applaws flavours which are complete, but I couldn't tell you which.

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  3. Temporally_Loopy

Ooops, thank you for your advice. He's obviously been having too much of it (luckily only for a couple of days).

It's a little confusing as the manufacturer's instructions say (for his size) 1 - 2 sachets a day which, as they are about 70g each would certainly be a lot more than 10% of his wet food allowance.

I can understand that they do not have the necessary taurine etc. but they are c. 70% fish or meat so wonder why there is a restriction on them so long as other food is given which contains taurine. I can see that Applaws do a dry kitten food which appears to have a high taurine content would this be okay to use as I have been told by the breeder that Bertie should have unlimited dry food for the first year.

At the moment he is having a mix of Royal Canin baby kitten, Feringa and Animonda vom Feinsten kitten - the reason for the mix is that I bought too large a bag of the RC baby kitten and discovered (through having sample packs of other dry foods) that he loved the Animonda kitten food. He certainly seems happier with the mix than he did with the RC on its own.

It is getting difficult when the high protein food he used to eat he now refuses, this is why I wanted to add something different into his diet - am so scared that I am always doing the wrong thing.

#3 Temporally_Loopy, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

My girl loves these two as well and its weird how she seems to know the difference between complementary and complete food and will eat the former to the last bit but not the latter. :rolleyes: She is very picky so she has three complete meals of other brands and Applaws for her supper which I know she will eat. At least this means she eats sufficient food a day and I feel as long as she is getting all the nutrients she needs from the three meals, giving her the one complementary food won't do any harm. Its only the pate of Applaws and Encore which are complete.

5. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Is the Encore pate still available because Sainsbury's no longer stock it?

6. Temporally_Loopy

Have just checked Amazon and you can get the Applaws pate complete food on there.

Torin. likes this.
  7. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Thrive Complete and Canagan wet foods are complete foods with a shredded meat consistency like Applaws.​

Torin. likes this.
  8. Charity

Doesn't look as if either Sainsburys or Tesco are doing the Encore Pate but you can get it from Fetch.

We stopped having Canagan as its very expensive, at least I think so.

Tesco are doing a quite nice shredded one (though my girl won't touch it :rolleyes:) called Feline Cuisine.

9. Temporally_Loopy

Thanks, I will look at the Thrive and Canagan foods. Unfortunately, he will no longer eat any pate type food so I am donating over 30 tins to my local cat rescue - along with all the other items he won't use now.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The cans of Encore and Applaws are very popular but a problem can sometimes develop where the cats may end up refusing to eat anything else. This is more likely to happen with a cat who is faddy in the first place. For that reason I only feed these complementary foods say once a week at most, as a treat. And I always add a little mashed pumpkin to the Encore as Encore contains almost no fibre. (The Applaws cans I buy already contain pumpkin.)

If your boy is not keen on pate foods have you tried him with chunks in gravy or jelly? Wellness Core (chunks in sauce) is very popular here (Pets@Home sells it). And there are Miamor Ragout Royale pouches in jelly or sauce/gravy or Animonda Rafine Soupe chunks in gravy, both from Zooplus, both are popular with most cats.

11. Temporally_Loopy

Thanks Chillminx, unfortunately he is indeed faddy (although he didn't used to be so, hopefully, it's his hormones (pre-neutering) that are making everything worse). He had had (and still does when I can get him to eat them) Miamour Ragout in various flavours and Rafine soup - in fact I had just had delivery of more of each from Zoo+ when he decided he was no longer very keen. This, however, I am not donating to charity as he is just going to have to eat some of it gradually. We are already up to over 50 tins of varying kitten foods being taken to our local cattery, plus the toys and litter he won't touch. Luckily we have a small cattery only about 5 mins away - I can see that I will end up being a regular visitor there!

I can understand that, in comparison to pieces of real fish or chicken breast then the stuff in jelly or gravy just isn't cutting the mustard. I have purchased quite a bit of the Applaws and Encore but will try and cut him down to having it as his night time snack or a tiny amount on top of a different basic food. I have just put in an order for some Thrive - the complete one - so hope that this might interest him. Again, it would work out pretty expensive to feed him totally on Thrive at about £1 per small tin, especially as he is a growing boy so it will have to be perhaps one meal a day (of Thrive, in case anyone thinks I am going to starve him) - at least to begin with.

One question I would really like answered is whether a cat will deliberately not eat, even though it is hungry, if it has decided it no longer likes that particular food. We are having a family argument about it as my mother tells me that he would eat the food eventually and to pick an untouched meal up and try it again later in the day. I am not so sure and don't like to thing of him being hungry - not that he's likely to fade away - but he still acts as though he hasn't been offered food and miaows at me every time I go into the kitchen. Advice please.

12. Charity

My Bunty is exactly the same. At mealtimes she will meow as if she is starving then as soon as I put down something she doesn't like, she looks at it and just walks away. Its very much a battle of wills with finicky cats and they usually win. The problem with leaving food down in the hope they will eat it later or even taking it up and putting it down again is that it is no longer fresh which will put a cat off. And, yes, a cat will not eat even when he's hungry if something is bothering him or he doesn't like it. I think they know another meal will be along in a minute. I am always telling Bunty to 'eat that as you're not getting anything else' but she takes no notice and I always give in eventually and give her something I know she will eat. :Banghead I know I would have more success with dry food but we're not going down that road. You could try getting him an automatic feeder so you can leave the food down and it will stay fresh and see if he goes back to it during the day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice