Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Competitive Obedience?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

My trainer does competitive obedience and offers obedience classes.

I'm going to be going to the Bronze Good Citizen classes with Pippa and Molly on separate days from September.

Pippa is very driven and I think she'd do great at Obedience, I wondered if anyone here does it?

2. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

Twiggy is an expert and has won at Crufts!! She was very helpful when I had questions and I'm sure she'll be along soon... I think there are probably others on here too, but she's someone that I know would be able to help.

Have you considered doing some Scentwork workshops workshops OUTSIDE CAMBRIDGESHIRE - they're brilliant... or maybe think about Rally-O too!

Naomi x

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Correct....LOL

I've competed, instructed and judged competitive obedience for more years than is decent....:D

What would you like to know?

4. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

I have 'done it' if that includes training and entering competitions but winning nothing at all. :D

I really enjoyed it, as did Fred, but the comps weren't for us as he's an anxious boy and likes to do a lot of sniffing in new places. So the only time we ever got placed outside our own training club was when I arrived an hour early and let him do a lot of sniffing before we started! Then he got 5th. :D

I am tempted to try again with Tinker as I like the preciseness of it, but I'm not sure I can go through all that again with a second dog, especially as Tinker isn't so hung up on attention like Fred is.

5. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Not yet but I desperately want to do it in the future!!

I've found it really hard to find anything within driving distance though so going to have a word with my trainer next week to see if she knows of anywhere!

6. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

How/where do you find comps?

I'd like to go and watch to get a feel for it as I'm sure it's not the same as watching them on YouTube :p

I've looked about but had no luck at all

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

There are two big championship shows at Ardingly (South of England Showground) in October/November.

If you pm me whereabouts you are in West Sussex I can probably put you in touch with a trainer or club.

8. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

I've just watched a few videos but I'm not sure I get it. Walking to heel is one thing but why would you want a dog glued to your leg? :confused:

9. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I dunno, why would you want a dog to jump, or totter round a show ring, or retrieve dummies, or bite a sleeve?

Cos it is a sport.

I do not like bungee jumping, so I do not do it.

I do not do competitive obedience but competitive Working Trials and IPO.

Cos I can

Cos I like it

Cos the dog likes it :)

10. BoredomBusters

ObedienceUK

If you want the schedules you have to get a membership, but it was only a fiver I think a few years ago when I was a member. You can at least see some details so you can find them to go and watch.

11. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I don't want to know anything in particular, just wondered if anyone on here did it really :)

12. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

It's a bit of fun! Doesn't mean the dog is glued to your leg at all times, just when training and competing.

Remember most breed that do this are working breeds and thrive off things like this :)

13. BoredomBusters

It's just a sport - the dogs don't walk like that in 'real life'. In fact you often see dogs walking like velcro in the ring pulling like a train outside the ring. When I'm in the park I never want to recall my dogs from a sit stay, looking at me, from 20 paces away. I want them to come back being halfway down a rabbit hole. But if you like training your dog in that way it can be a lot of fun. I had 3 weekends away on 'small dog competative obedience' courses, meeting with likeminded owners with other small dogs which I really enjoyed.

Nowadays I prefer the sports where you are assessed against a standard, rather than other dogs, that way everyone can be a 'winner' if you put the effort it, it doesn't depend on what other dogs also turn up.

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I go to obedience classes with Ziggy and Kite - not every week, just sometimes. Entered Ziggy in a competition once, which she won - very basic level stuff. I don't want her glued to my leg, I think that's wierd, so I won't do it. She just walks close beside me but not touching. She knows all the exercises off by heart and loves it, and it gives her something to do well at since she retired from agility. Kite really enjoys it too, and prefers the non-heelwork elements like send-aways.

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's not even the other dogs you're being judged against, though, it's their handlers; the way the handler places their feet on an about-turn could win them the rosette. The judges' subjective taste must play a part too.

16. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Correct. The handler's footwork is an art in itself....LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice