Compassionate Leave for Pet Loss

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Brightonian, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Brightonian

Brightonian PetForums Junior

6B776C7D-B1B5-406E-A588-A2D7EAF109D0.jpeg Hi, I hope it’s ok to post here, I wasn’t sure where to!

Unfortunately I lost my beloved boy cat George on Halloween. It’s been a really hard time and I did have a few days off work.

What’s also unfortunate is my employer doesn’t recognise pets in their compassionate leave policy, my leave therefore was unpaid until a manager intervened.

I am now looking to change this for my colleagues benefit. I realise pets aren’t for everyone but for some it’s everything!

I am collating evidence as to why they should be recognised and wondered if anyone out there had support from their employer around this in the form of paid compassionate leave, animals being recognised etc.

Many thanks xxx

2. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

So sorry about George; he was beautiful.

When I was a curate my ten year old border collie was run over while I was walking him - the driver didn’t stop. I took two days off (I could barely speak or move) and everyone was lovely: condolence cards, flowers etc.

3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Sorry for the loss of George.

Unfortunately though you may be fighting a losing battle trying to get conditions changed.

I've taken leave in the past out of my quota when a pet has died. There has never been an inkling that I could take compassionate as that is reserved for close family members in my organisation.

Let us know if you get anywhere.

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Everyone is different; I'd never think to take a day off when a pet dies but to be honest, I find that being busy gives you less time to think about your loss. Also I don't think I've ever worked in a place where the death of a pet would be considered a bereavement tho' all pet owners know that it's exactly that.
    Sorry George is no longer with you; he looks lovely, like all black cats.

5. BlueJay

BlueJay ALL the long snooters

I work in a pet company and compassionate leave for pet loss is very much standard

6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im sorry for your loss. :( I think its a good idea if you need time off .