Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Comparison

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Just over 3 months ago my boy Nelson was put to sleep. He was my everything and I am lost without him. I am lucky to have a new puppy in my life. Like Nelson, she was a stray found as a young puppy - poodle terrier cross breed.

Of course she is no replacement for Nelson and tis is not what I was looking for. I just wanted to give another dog lots of love and a great home. Of course they are 2 very dofferent personalities and of course I am biased towards my Nelson because he was so dear to me, but I have had my new girl Bella almost a month and I think we are doing quite well. However, as a puppy I remember Nelson used to dig in the garden, but other than that he stuck exclusively to his own toys and chews (of which he had a million which were rotated around, as with Bella) and never even tried to play with any human item. I always thought he was exceptional in a thousand ways, but this is one thing which does stick out. As a result of this behaviour and the fact that he was toilet trained within a few days, Nelson always had the run of the house. We were never out more than 3-4 hours and when we'd come home he had often buried his toys in the couch etc, or upstairs in our bedrooms. I liked knowing he could amuse himself while we were away.

In contrast, Bella picks up anything she can find. When I am home she has the runof the house and responds to LEAVE it so we have no issues. When we are out (no more than 2hours at this point) she is confined to our kitchen and living room area, which I hate doing. This is the only area of the house that is puppy proofed though, for her own safety and for the sake of our belongings. I am hoping when she grows up and fininshes teething that she can have the run of the house too, but I am worried she may never outgrow this. The only reason we havnt had any damage in the house is because when she is not suprevised and is in an area where she can only access all her toys and her basket, and the couch whcih has fortunately so far been kleft alone. I have to put the curtains up though when we leave as I do not trust her.

All this said, my main worry is her obsession with plants. this cannot even be controlled when I am there. SHe goes crazy. She not only chews the plant but actually eats the wood near the base. I never leave her outisde for more than minute or 2 so I can prevent her from eating most of what she bites off, but I know she actually eats it cos I see pieces in her mouth which she swallows if you do not remove them. As a result, she can't enjoy our garden as I am alwyas there telling her off and trying to divert her attention to a suitable toy.

So my questions are...how different have different dogs you have owned been as puppies as far as chewing goes?
    Do most dogs outgrow this behaviour?
    And is there an explanation for an intense passion for plants??

2. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

Hi first of all im sorry about nelson he sounded a lovely loyal dog. not sure i can be any help, i have a bella too she is 10months old and my 1st dog! when we 1st had she chewed, chewed, chewed. EVERYTHING even my feet!! but now she is alot better and i do trust her she mainly sticks to her own toys. When we leave her she is not allowed upstairs but has the run of downstairs ( kitchen, large living room and conservatory) and when we come home nothing has moved dont know what she does lol. xxx

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks for replying. And thanks for your kind words about my Nelson. Bella has the kitchen and living room when we are gone, but I am considering getting baby gates so she can have a run of all of the downtairs of our house and upstairs to the bedrooms, but not the basement as it is where my dad's office is and full of wires etc.

Did u actively teach Bella not to chew? Or did she just outgrow this? I am actively working on my Bella and we are doing very well inside the house, it is just our plants that are the big problem. I am grateful it is the plants and not our furniture, but I would still like to sort this out!! I feel bad telling her no because the alternatives I offer her are not intersting compared to the plants, so I end up having to bring her inside the house. I even put hot hot chilli sauce on the plants and now she just likes them vene more!! Any tips on what else I can try putting on the plants to stop her going for them?

4. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

ermm not sure what else you could put on plants sorry :( it was a hit of both, we woulld say no and give her one of her toys but obv when out we were not there to do this so i think she grew out of it too lol. sh is a lab x and they r known for chewing what breed is she? think if u work with her while ur home she will soon stop. sorry not much help xx

5. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

The only thing I've found that will stop Otto chewing is Bitter Apple spray.

He loved the taste of the first two anti chew sprays I tried but he hates this one. Maybe it will work with Bella too although you'll have to reaply every time it rains!

Otto picks up everything he can get hold of outside too but most of it gets spat back out again, I think it's just a way of exploring.

6. My-Terriers

My-Terriers PetForums Member

My little terrier puppy has an obsession with plants - these are the only thing he does chew. He's gnawed away at every plant in the garden and has chewed all the reachable leaves off the plants in the house. He has a tendency to pull plants off the side too. Buster on the other hand, was not bothered by anything and to this day *touch wood* has never chewed anything.

7. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

you can buy cans of Bitter Apply, you spray things that you dont want the dog to chew, they dont like the bitter taste, also oilbos oil from chemist to apply in the same way, may help. xxxxxxxx

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Dont think there is anyway you can stop the biting of plants in the garden but ime sure she will grow out of it we have had 3 springers 2 at the moment so having the same breed lots of people think they would be of same temprement, well to a point yes but they are all individualls, you get the good, calm pups and you get the horrors our last one our first girl puppy has been a nightmare to toilet train the others were fantadtic, the 2 boys went through the awfull teens stage she has missed that she has been so good.
    Its hard not to compare 2 dogs specially when you have had one like nelson, but they are all different and she will make you just as proud of her as you were nelson in time, she will soon be over the puppy stage before you know it she will do that special something that will set her apart from the rest in your eyes. Good luck with her ime sure she will get there keep up the good work, love her for being "her" and she will soon be leaving your plants alone:rolleyes:

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks for your very helpful replies everyone. And for your kind words about my Nelson. Bella is never left alobe for more than 2 hours and I make sure she is nice and tired before leaving her so I am pretty sure she just sleeps when we are away, fortunately. We took her to the beach today and I took toys and chews, but the twigs she found on the beach were much much more appealing. What can I say??
    I have bought some vicks vaporub and she seems to dislike it so far - i gave it to her to smell. We are not home as we have taken her with us to my granny's flat which is near the beach (no plants in the house hehe), but as soon as I get back I will be trying this. If this doesn't work I will go in search of Bitter apple spray.
    She is almost 4 months old now so I should make the most of the puppy stage, but I am also really looking forward to her growing up.

Thanks again everyone, you are a great bunch!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice