Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

company question..

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by maiseysmummy, May 24, 2010.

1. maiseysmummy

maiseysmummy PetForums Junior

I have a male rabbit (neutered) who is kept alone, i bought a female a few years ago to keep him company but he attacked her so viciously she had to have an ear removed at the vets and was left scarred. She has been rehomed with a friend of mine, but my question is, does he really need company when he is so aggresive? People have made remarks about him being kept alone but he seems happy enough...

2. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

You could maybe ask a local rescue if they do a bonding service?
    They would try it for you, and then you'll get a clearer idea as to wether he wants to live alone or not?

3. Louise_81

Louise_81 PetForums Junior

It would depend on a number of factors.

His 'viciousness' may have been down to a inappropriate introduction. Both rabbits need to be neutered, and given approx 6 weeks for them to heal and for their hormones to reduce. They should then be introduced in a neutral area that neither bun has been in, but where you can supervise them for a 48 hour period, to break up any fights that occur.

You are right though, he may just not like other rabbits. As suggested above, your best bet may be to go to a local rescue. Have a look for your local rescue through Rabbit Rehome - Adopt an unwanted bunny from a rescue centre . That way you can let your bun choose who to take home, rather than being paired with a random bun that you can get from somewhere.

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I'm guessing you put her in his territory?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice