Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Companion

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Susan Clapperton, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Susan Clapperton

Susan Clapperton PetForums Newbie

Hey guys,
    Looking to get a companion for my 8month old chorkie, any suggestions on which breeds would be greatly appreciated.

2. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Photos of your pup are compulsory :D

Please can you tell us a bit more about your lifestyle and your requirements of your new dog? Do you another tiny dog, or something bigger, is so how big, how much grooming do you want to do etc? It would make it easier to suggest breeds.

3. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

What's a "chorkie"...?

I'm guessing it's a Yorkie crossed with something...

At 8 months your dog is still a puppy; are you sure you want another dog? As long as your pup is responding well to training it's fine but if there are any issues with your first dog, I'd say hold off on adding another one :)

In terms of which breed to get - what size dog do you want?

4. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

At 8 months your current dog is still settling, it takes months for a dog to truly settle i believe. Also how come you feel your dog needs a companion ? Alot of people feel this when they have one dog but then regret it when they do as they then end up with issues with having two dogs, not saying you will but it would be easier when your current dog is a bit older and you know training has gone well and no issues etc.

There are so many breeds, it really depends on what you are looking for.

5. Susan Clapperton

Susan Clapperton PetForums Newbie

Thanks, wasn't sure how long you should wait before getting another addition. It was really for company for him, a lot of dog owners I speak to with two dogs say they wouldn't be without each other, though my initial thought was to wait till Pablo was a bit older. It's a tough decision, I want what's best for Pablo. I work full time, between myself, neighbour and dog walker he gets 3-4 walks per day.

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Id wait until you are happy with your current dogs training and behaviour...but that does happen alot sooner with small breeds! I think alot of toy breed owners end up with more then one as finding similar sized playmates can be difficult.
    As for breeds, what about a Chi or a Yorkie?:D

7. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

I would go for a Chihuahua, a Yorkie or another Chorkie. You don't need to get a tiny puppy, you could look out for a suitable rescue of a similar age, give or take a few months. You could time it with a time when you will be off work for a week or two, as long as your first dog is still fairly young and will appreciate the company.
    Daisy (also a Chorkie) was 8 when we got Abi and definitely didn't want another dog! We got Bruno when Abi was 7 months, he was 4 months and I don't regret it. Yes training is more difficult but they are so happy together and like soul mates. Daisy is happier too as she doesn't get as much unwelcome attention, just the snuggles in the dog pile!

Attached Files:

#7 Luz, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice