Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Companion for Ragdoll kitten.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by StaceyRC86, Nov 15, 2020.

1. StaceyRC86

StaceyRC86 PetForums Newbie

After sadly loosing her brother im after a companion for my girl. I bought my domestic cats both brothers when I was younger and it was lovely to watch them grow together, play, eat, sleep, their bond was amazing. In an ideal world I'd love another Ragdoll, however I'm aware there's so many babies in rescues that need loving homes. Reading on here a lot say BSH, Ragamuffin, Birman are all of similar temperament. How would she be with a normal domestic? If they were to play fight and it got rough would she be ok? My domestics used to roll the floor with each other but as she is so docile and I'm aware they have no fighting instincts im just wondering how to go about finding her the right companion. I want to do it while she's young so they can grow together.

2. starmanwarz

starmanwarz PetForums Junior

I recently rescued a 5 month old stray and I also have a 6 month old mixed Ragdoll/Persian (not sure). Both males, not neutered yet.

My resident cat is very calm, he can barely jump on the sofa and spends most of the day sleeping on the floor or his cat tree with the occasional 10 minute play.

The new cat is a proper ninja, he climbs everywhere, he's very strong and can play for hours, he's full of energy.

New cat goes into hunting mode whenever resident cat is on the move and he chases him away. Resident kitten will chase him away some times too but he stands no chance in a fight. Some growling and hissing from resident cat but only when things get messy. I think they played a bit around a tunnel today but I'm not sure if it was just play or there was some fighting involved too.

They've been together for 3 days so I guess it could be worse but I'm not sure if they are a good match. I'll be getting a Feliway Friends tomorrow and see if that helps. After that new cat will get neutered, although he's only had 1 vaccination so far (last week)

I guess that mixing a calm cat with no fighting instincts with a hardened cat who was living on the streets can be risky and maybe even dangerous for the calm cat. I'm terrified that they may take out each other's eyes at any moment to be honest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice