Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Companion Care Vets - Vaccination?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with companion care vets?

We normally use a different local vet which is really good, it's the biggest one in the area with the best equipment, the best we've used yet however they are really expensive and with two kittens to be vaccinated, chipped and spayed/neutered it's going to be close to £300. They charge £96 for a spay :yikes: compared to companion care's £65.

However the receptionist at companion care told me I'd probably have to start the vaccinations over as the one the CPL usually use isn't compatible with the one they use. (It still works out cheaper to get the two from companion care than just the 2nd for our usual vet) Could this cause problems? I checked when I got home, he's been vaccinated with purevax, is there a particular vaccine that is better than others?

2. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

When I first got Cookie I registered her with CC and the three vets and 2 nurses she saw were great. I switched to a local vet as the journey was a little stressful for her we seemed to be there weekly and as it was based in P@H there were quite a few noisy dogs in the waiting area.

I would definitely recommend the vets at the Stockport branch. I recently received a vacination care plan mailer from them.

She was spayed by CC but didn't have vaccinations, my current vet uses Purevax.

#2 Cookieandme, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

As with any chain vets - they are likely to vary in how good they are across branches.

4. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I use Companion Care - and I cant sing their praises enough - I love my vets :yesnod:

Rowan, and his sister Holly, will be two years old tomorrow, back in February I thought I was losing Rowan, I really thought he was going.

But here he is about to celebrate his second birthday :thumbup:

But, I guess he would have got the same care from my actual vets, whoever they worked for. A vet surgery is only as good as the vets that work there, and I couldn't fault mine :)

5. JensterEX

JensterEX PetForums Junior

Big thumbs up for Companion Care. I would still be with them if I could, but I've moved and there isn't one close.

I can't say enough good things about them. When I first got Ithil and Arnar I was the picture of over-protective kitten mama, and took them in for everything. They were so good with me, and never charged me for one of these panic visits in the first year unless something was actually wrong, and even then only for treatment.

When I got Ithil neutered, his incision granulated. It turns out this is something that will invariably happen with him, as he is one of the small percentage of cats who has a condition that causes this. The vets were brilliant. They took him straight back in when I noticed he was bleeding, kept him two days to sort him out, and only charged me £12 to cover the cost of the second lot of Anesthetic. They were extremely apologetic for not picking this up before he was operated on although how the hell they were meant to know I have no clue!

So yeah. Companion Care Chingford? Brilliant.

Which is your closest?

6. SilverCat285

My closest is Stirling in Scotland haha

7. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Companion Care are concessions aren't they? Not sure if that is the right word, but you know what I mean :D

One of our vets left the practice and started up on his own at a new one, so it is like any other practice in as much as it is as good as the vet that runs it.

8. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You need to make sure you are comparing like with like. Ask the CC vet which vaccine they are using and if it includes leukaemia. If your vet is using the Purevax with leukaemia and chlamydia then I wouldn't be at all surprised for the cost to be double a cheaper alternative which only includes core vaccines. Also, are you basing the comparison on the price you paid for the first vaccination at your current vet? Some vets charge for the whole cost up front or front load the cost of the course to encourage owners to return for the second vaccination. I know a breeder who went chasing cheaper vaccinations and saved less than £3/kitten in the end because headline rates aren't always the whole story. The saving was eaten up in petrol, time and inconvenience.

#8 havoc, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  9. SilverCat285

I got them from the CPL so first vaccinations were done by them. I'm going to call companion care and ask which vaccination they use. I heard that purevax was the safest?

10. SilverCat285

I just called them, they said they use nobivac

11. londongal796

londongal796 PetForums Senior

I actually have registered the boys at Companion Care Vets based on your positive experience with them. They'll be going for their annual boosters in a few weeks :)

12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

i know very little about vaccines, but I took Monty and Millie to my usual vet for the one year boosters after the initial set at CC (Chingford again! ) and my vet said it did not matter if it was a different brand that he used. So personally I would check whether it really is necessary to start all over with an initial set.
    Also......with my usual vet, the cats get a full check over and full appointment with their booster....whereas with CC the second jab was done by a Nurse and a very quick in/out appointment.

13. SilverCat285

I read that certain brands of the FeLV vaccine could cause sarcomas?

14. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I might see you there - Willow is booked in for her boosters on 13th September :D

Oh, if you ever book in on a Friday try and get an appointment before 11am - the mosque is very close, and its very hard to get a parking space with Friday Prayers at lunchtime - and the traffic is horrendous!

15. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

That was true of the initial kitten jabs with my vet, the vet did a full check up and the first jab, the nurse did the second jab.

But I always see the actual vet at the yearly boosters, and they get a full check up while there :)

16. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

You're right. If you're having th eFeLV jab, then Purevax is the safest. I still have mine injected in the leg rather than the scruff though, just to be safe...

17. SilverCat285

They'll definitely be going to my usual vet then, I'm not taking any chances. Saving £10 just wouldn't be worth it.

18. chloe1975

chloe1975 Maine Coon slave :)

We use Companion Care for all our vet needs and they have been brilliant. All our kittens were vaccinated there and it includes FELV (they were happy to vaccinate how and where we wanted). We always see the vets rather than the nurse and have been more than happy with them. One of Fi's kittens had to have his leg amputated due to a deformity and we negotiated a price beforehand on the operation and they kept him for a week (at our request as it was in the middle of heatwave) and didn't charge anything for the extended stay or for post meds etc. Also when the kittens had ulcers in their eyes they only charged an initial consultation fee and no consultation fees after. But appreciate that like all chains there will be differences between practices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice