UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

381 - 400 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
That looks amazing and so much nicer to use I should think. Sadly I use an iPad, not the PC.

Now I’ve sorted out the text size, the ad blocker is doing its job and I can tolerate the bright background by taking the brightness down on the iPad and engaging the night mode for iPad, I’m managing ok, but your version @/ScrapCat is just so much nicer and friendlier which I would have thought the new owners would want to encourage rather then hoards of people leaving because something so simple (to programmers) could be sorted out. I hope @/vsadmin will show your version to the developers.
As for using the forum. I haven’t found it overly difficult, it is similar to what went before. I just went round clicking everythin until I understood it all.
I’ve got over thinking that if I click on the wrong thing I’ll delete everything on the ipad or even worse, the whole internet.😂
It really would have been nice if there was a Legacy mode, or at least a third mode that's halfway between light and dark. 😓 LOL Yeah, I pretty much did the same, with working out and navigating the forum. 😆 I'm more confident with where things are now, and there's even new features that I really like. It's just the sterile eyesore of the colour(less) schemes, that I don't like.

Reactions: SusieRainbow

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
It really would have been nice if there was a Legacy mode, or at least a third mode that's halfway between light and dark. 😓 LOL Yeah, I pretty much did the same, with working out and navigating the forum. 😆 I'm more confident with where things are now, and there's even new features that I really like. It's just the sterile eyesore of the colour(less) schemes, that I don't like.
Can you tell us how to add it? I've added the Stylus extension.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can you tell us how to add it? I've added the Stylus extension.
After adding the extension, just go here and click "install". If it doesn't switch over automatically (as I'm not sure if it does or not), there should be an "S" icon in the upper right-hand of your browser. Click that, and tick "PetForums.com - Light Earth". If you need any more help or screenshots, just let me know. (y)

ETA: Out of curiosity, I clicked on install, and it brought up the code with some options on the left. I'd not change any of the options, and just further click install. (It says reinstall for me, so I'm assuming it says install for you. lol)

·
Registered
20,750 Posts
In the meantime, for anyone on PC who uses Chrome, Firefox, or Opera, if you install the Stylus extension, I've made a soft, earthy-toned theme for light mode. (I'll try and work on a dark mode version, soon.)

ETA: While I'm no CSS expert, if anyone has any issues, just give me a shout and I'll see what I can do. 😅
I've clicked on your link, do I just need to click 'install', or do I need to get stylus first? Thank you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've clicked on your link, do I just need to click 'install', or do I need to get stylus first? Thank you.
You'll need to get stylus first. There should be a button next to "install" called "get stylus" if you haven't already got it. ☺

·
Registered
668 Posts
Tried that early on but sorry, dark mode is not for me - I find white on black hard to read and all that black background is just so depressing :(
I don’t know why anyone thinks dark mode is a good idea. It seems to be the thing these days and much beloved of software designers.

Installed some design software recently and it was all dark mode, absolutely hideous - spent a long time hunting through the settings and talking to Google until I figured how to change it back to a lighter background.

·
Maine Coon Madness
Cheese Chips and Jumanji
1,412 Posts
I don’t know why anyone thinks dark mode is a good idea. It seems to be the thing these days and much beloved of software designers.

Installed some design software recently and it was all dark mode, absolutely hideous - spent a long time hunting through the settings and talking to Google until I figured how to change it back to a lighter background.
I’m photosensitive and I much prefer dark mode, especially at night 🤷🏻

·
Registered
668 Posts
At this time, there is not.

~Mike D
And that, unfortunately, is the VS default position.
Essentially, take it or leave it.

It was the same when the transition occurred on World Sea Fishing Forums, a few vague promises to ‘look into it’ but nothing really changed and hasn’t to this date.
I believe after many months of asking the stickie delineation was improved slightly, but that was about it.

Having said all that, I don’t especially object to this version. It’s rather sterile but it’s functional and you do get used to it, but it is very much a ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to VS platforms.
The wishes of the community don’t seem to be taken into account very much though.

But, a forum is defined by its users and the community created, not its appearance and I hope most members will persevere with it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Fair one, and sorry to hear you have that condition, but I’d guess the number of people with that is relatively low? Good there’s an option that assists you though.

Try designing an advert on a totally black screen, I found it hideous lol.

I tried it briefly on another forum and really struggled to read anything.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

I don't much care for the dark theme that everything seems to be defaulting to nowadays. One of my big pet peeves in the computer world is change for the sake of change. It is partially a strategy to make people think they're getting something new and flashy. It's planned obsolescence in a way.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I don't much care for the dark theme that everything seems to be defaulting to nowadays. One of my big pet peeves in the computer world is change for the sake of change. It is partially a strategy to make people think they're getting something new and flashy. It's planned obsolescence in a way.
Agreed. I understand software and technology evolves but the techies are constantly tweaking things when there isn’t always a need.
Face for example, changes practically every week and imo from a user point of view, works half as well as it did five years ago.

·
Crazy hamster lady
1,125 Posts
Anyone know how to edit the little comment/status underneath my avatar? Haven't owned a hamster since 2014 and would like to update or remove it but can't seem to find an option for that anywhere.

·
Administrator
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
It was the same when the transition occurred on World Sea Fishing Forums, a few vague promises to ‘look into it’ but nothing really changed and hasn’t to this date.
I believe after many months of asking the stickie delineation was improved slightly, but that was about it.

Having said all that, I don’t especially object to this version. It’s rather sterile but it’s functional and you do get used to it, but it is very much a ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to VS platforms.
The wishes of the community don’t seem to be taken into account very much though.
I will definitely bring suggestions to the developers, I meant, for now, it isn't in the works to be changed. I do believe that members (maybe not all) will become more accustomed to the different look and feel of the site and hopefully, learn to enjoy the new features as well.

But, a forum is defined by its users and the community created, not its appearance and I hope most members will persevere with it.
I totally agree with this statement and yes, the members and relationships developed are what make this community.

~Mike D

·
Administrator
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Anyone know how to edit the little comment/status underneath my avatar? Haven't owned a hamster since 2014 and would like to update or remove it but can't seem to find an option for that anywhere.
That is a custom title that was added to your user profile previously. Send us a message (conversation) if you would like that removed.

~Mike D

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
In fact they're going backwards. My first computer was a Sony which had a dark screen and neon yellow lettering:D

Reactions: Calvine and TonyG

·
Still missing my boys
42,303 Posts

You can go dark mode in the settings.
Click on avater, go to account settings. click on your account at top of page, then preferences...........voila there it is :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I tried to install stylus and ScrapCats programme unsuccessfully. I would of much preferred that.

@vsadmin I don't understand why the colour cannot be toned down a bit as so many of us are struggling. It has triggered my migraines. Colour wise it feels as though it has been made to be uncomfortable as possible.

I wonder if there is going to be more colour choices in the paid for option 🤔

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
That is a custom title that was added to your user profile previously. Send us a message (conversation) if you would like that removed.
I rather miss my VIP status. I don't know how other users feel? Anyone else?

And I still can't save my preferences.

381 - 400 of 574 Posts