UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

361 - 380 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the meantime, for anyone on PC who uses Chrome, Firefox, or Opera, if you install the Stylus extension, I've made a soft, earthy-toned theme for light mode. (I'll try and work on a dark mode version, soon.)

ETA: While I'm no CSS expert, if anyone has any issues, just give me a shout and I'll see what I can do. 😅

·
Administrator
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
Could admin please look at some more definition between the stickies and other threads within the forum. Perhaps having a line or stickie thread title a diff colour.

Also I would really appreciate more of a definition in the font of a read and un read thread. Even with larger font it’s not immediately obvious.

if those two things were addressed I’m sure the experience would be a lot easier for everyone.
For now, the sticky threads are denoted with the pushpin and there is added spacing between where the sticky threads end and the general threads start within a forum.

Also, Unread Threads do have a slightly bolder text/font, this seems to be more noticeable in light mode, in my opinion, though. :)

~Mike D

·
Administrator
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
Don't know if this has already been asked, but could we please have an alert or something when someone posts on a thread we're following? Otherwise it can be really easy to miss when someone has answered our question...

ETA I don't mean an email alert as I find these annoying; I mean like an icon at the top of the screen that gets a number next to it to let us know how many new alerts we have, or something similar. I found the 'alerts' under the 'Account Details' icon, but it was all about trophies (which frankly I don't care about) and nothing to tell me that people had posted on the threads I'm following. Or am I missing something?
If you have your preferences set to receive then you should be notified as described here.

Alerts/Notifications

A red dot on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site, indicates that you have alerts or new conversations (private messages). When you click on your avatar you will see a number next to Alerts and/or Conversations indicating how many new ones you have. Click on each to view them.

You can adjust your settings for alerts by selecting Account Settings and then Preferences from the left side navigation on the new page.

Scroll down to “Receive a notification when someone…” and set your preferences.

For email alerts, scroll down to Content options and adjust your settings.

Make sure to click Save at the bottom if you make any changes.

~Mike D

·
Obedient Cat Slave
5,348 Posts
If you click on the hamburger menu in the top, right hand corner of the site here

View attachment 573531

That will open a drop-down menu where you can choose Dark Mode.

View attachment 573530

~Mike D
Tried that early on but sorry, dark mode is not for me - I find white on black hard to read and all that black background is just so depressing :(

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
In the meantime, for anyone on PC who uses Chrome, Firefox, or Opera, if you install the Stylus extension, I've made a soft, earthy-toned theme for light mode. (I'll try and work on a dark mode version, soon.)

ETA: While I'm no CSS expert, if anyone has any issues, just give me a shout and I'll see what I can do. 😅
That looks really nice Scrapcat, if I used any of those browsers I’d be on it in a heartbeat. Thanks for sharing it :)

·
Administrator
17,261 Posts
That looks really nice Scrapcat, if I used any of those browsers I’d be on it in a heartbeat. Thanks for sharing it :)
I LOVE that!

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
For now, the sticky threads are denoted with the pushpin and there is added spacing between where the sticky threads end and the general threads start within a forum.

Also, Unread Threads do have a slightly bolder text/font, this seems to be more noticeable in light mode, in my opinion, though. :)

~Mike D
Yes I can make out the pin and the small spacing but it’s just not as obvious as it used to be in the new colour format etc.

The same with the read/unread threads. I have my iPhone on light mode which I prefer and have increased the font size but the contrast just isn’t defined enough. If these issues could be addressed I think you would find most regular/long time users would prefer it.

·
Obedient Cat Slave
5,348 Posts

@ScrapCat I like it :) If you can do this why can't VS do it ???????

·
Meeoow!
9,402 Posts
I have to say I don’t particularly mind the new look apart from a few niggles i.e the issue with the stickies being hard to differentiate that multiple people have mentioned and the fact that the text does seem a bit on the small side but apart from those it hasn’t taken me long to adjust

BUT while I appreciate admin answering peoples questions and offering advice, I do think it’s very noticeable that they are completely ignoring anybody who mentions they have a problem with brightness/eyestrain/headaches, the dark mode is unusable cos white text out of black only makes eyestrain worse (40 years as a designer/typographer teaches me that!) so I can only deduce that they aren’t going to change anything, so it’s like it or lump it I guess? Which is a shame cos although I know you can’t please everyone, it would be nice to at least acknowledge peoples difficulties….not everyone has 20/20 vision!

·
Administrator
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
Yes I can make out the pin and the small spacing but it’s just not as obvious as it used to be in the new colour format etc.

The same with the read/unread threads. I have my iPhone on light mode which I prefer and have increased the font size but the contrast just isn’t defined enough. If these issues could be addressed I think you would find most regular/long time users would prefer it.
I can definitely bring any feedback and suggestions to the developers. However, we can't necessarily action everything and I am not able to put a timeframe on if/when changes will be made. :)

~Mike D

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
I can definitely bring any feedback and suggestions to the developers. However, we can't necessarily action everything and I am not able to put a timeframe on if/when changes will be made. :)

~Mike D
Would really appreciate if you could mention these in feedback and understand it might take awhile but hopefully they’ll take on board constructive suggestions from regular users/contributors which might just improve the experience for everyone.

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts

That looks amazing and so much nicer to use I should think. Sadly I use an iPad, not the PC.

Now I’ve sorted out the text size, the ad blocker is doing its job and I can tolerate the bright background by taking the brightness down on the iPad and engaging the night mode for iPad, I’m managing ok, but your version @ScrapCat is just so much nicer and friendlier which I would have thought the new owners would want to encourage rather then hoards of people leaving because something so simple (to programmers) could be sorted out. I hope @vsadmin will show your version to the developers.
As for using the forum. I haven’t found it overly difficult, it is similar to what went before. I just went round clicking everythin until I understood it all.
I’ve got over thinking that if I click on the wrong thing I’ll delete everything on the ipad or even worse, the whole internet.😂

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
@ScrapCat I like it :) If you can do this why can't VS do it ???????
Because they don't care , It is their way or we have to lump it or leave it , that's why or they would have done something about it by now
enough people have complained about it for them to know it is not just the odd 1 or 2 that has a problem . .

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
Is there any way to make the site default to showing the whole forum view? I'm not interested in just seeing new posts when I log in. :)
Click on the ringed item on the photo. Then bookmark that page so that when you go to Petforums it will as the whole forum
Rectangle Font Technology Screenshot Parallel

·
Administrator
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
For Those Struggling With Seeing The Forum Well

You have a few options depending on the device and browser you use to access the site. (Most have accessibility options.)

This is an example for Windows 10 users.

This is an example for Google Chrome users.

You may also want to check out something called FreshEyes that may assist with accessibility as well. FreshEyes

~Mike D

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
You have a few options depending on the device and browser you use to access the site. (Most have accessibility options.)

This is an example for Windows 10 users.
How to manage Accessibility features in Windows 10 - TechEngage
This is an example for Google Chrome users.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96810?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
You may also want to check out something called FreshEyes that may assist with accessibility as well. FreshEyes

~Mike D
Those options change every thing on the computer , all my other sites are fine I do not need to adjust them .
It is only the brightness on this site that I have a problem with and the dark screen
Fresh Eyes is for people who are colour blind .

·
Administrator
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
Those options change every thing on the computer , all my other sites are fine I do not need to adjust them .
It is only the brightness on this site that I have a problem with and the dark screen
Fresh Eyes is for people who are colour blind .
I wanted to put some options out there that members may want to try. If deciding to use any of them, you may also be able to adjust the settings on a site by site basis.

~Mike D

361 - 380 of 632 Posts