UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

341 - 360 of 632 Posts

·
Hides away from much through humour...
My cat is Bagpuss. He has chronic uveitis but feels okay.
12,958 Posts
Well everyone's brains are different. It's all I do see. It's annoying as heck.
For sure. Not denigrating your experience; just explaining why I didn't notice it (or not explaining, as the case may be).

·
Hides away from much through humour...
My cat is Bagpuss. He has chronic uveitis but feels okay.
12,958 Posts
Could admin please look at some more definition between the stickies and other threads within the forum. Perhaps having a line or stickie thread title a diff colour.
Agree with this; at the moment it's just a little gap between the stickies and the regular threads.

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts
Don't know if this has already been asked, but could we please have an alert or something when someone posts on a thread we're following? Otherwise it can be really easy to miss when someone has answered our question...

ETA I don't mean an email alert as I find these annoying; I mean like an icon at the top of the screen that gets a number next to it to let us know how many new alerts we have, or something similar. I found the 'alerts' under the 'Account Details' icon, but it was all about trophies (which frankly I don't care about) and nothing to tell me that people had posted on the threads I'm following. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well everyone's brains are different. It's all I do see. It's annoying as heck.
If you can get the extension called "uBlock Origin" then, not only will it block ads, but it will also allow you to block elements of websites. This is what it looks like for me, before and after blocking the side sections and the recommended reading.
Font Screenshot Software Technology Multimedia
Font Screenshot Software Rectangle Technology

Rectangle Font Software Technology Screenshot
Rectangle Operating system Font Screenshot Software

Reactions: Jesthar

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
Don't know if this has already been asked, but could we please have an alert or something when someone posts on a thread we're following? Otherwise it can be really easy to miss when someone has answered our question...

ETA I don't mean an email alert as I find these annoying; I mean like an icon at the top of the screen that gets a number next to it to let us know how many new alerts we have, or something similar. I found the 'alerts' under the 'Account Details' icon, but it was all about trophies (which frankly I don't care about) and nothing to tell me that people had posted on the threads I'm following. Or am I missing something?
If you click on your avatar on the top right you will get a drop down box of options one of which is alerts with a number beside it. Click to find alerts.
I have noticed though that when you open the pet forum website the tab it is using will show a figure in brackets in front of the the website name. This is showing alerts you have received, a sort of early warning system without you needing to click on your avatar to find out if you have any alerts. Does this make sense to you? Not the best at explaining.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Which device and browser are you using to access the site? :)

As an example, in Windows 11 (There is an option for Windows 10 as well.) you can soften the brightness.

- Cricket
I am using Google on windows 10 , that would be ok if I wanted to dim down everything on my computer , but the only issues I have are with the brightness on this site all other sites I use are fine and don't need adjusting. .

·
Registered
680 Posts
For those having issues with alerts, click on your profile, then account settings, then select preferences and you’ll get a menu offering a choice of notifications.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
680 Posts
W

see my post above Naomi. You can choose to receive alerts for various things, with or without email notifications

·
Registered
266 Posts
W

see my post above Naomi. You can choose to receive alerts for various things, with or without email notifications
I spent an age unticking everything and I'm STILL getting alerts when a post has been replied to! I use a small tablet so my cursor is basically my finger, too many clicks needed to do most things now, very off putting.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I spent an age unticking everything and I'm STILL getting alerts when a post has been replied to! I use a small tablet so my cursor is basically my finger, too many clicks needed to do most things now, very off putting.
Silly question, but you did save changes after unticking?

Do you mean when someone replies directly to your posts? I think an alert then is pretty standard.
If you’re getting an alert every time someone posts on a thread you’ve interacted with, you need to make sure your notification preferences are saved but also, on the thread itself, select the ‘unfollow’ option at the top.

Following a thread seems to be the default option and I spent a lot of time at the outset unfollowing things.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you see this at the top of threads you’re getting alerts from?

Screenshot Font Communication Device Portable communications device Electronic device

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
I just realized that I forgot to introduce myself. :unsure:

My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen and sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.), so yes, I have been Cricket for a very long time now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my free time outdoors and exploring the back roads. During late autumn, when it starts to cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

I have worked with our community support team for seven+ years. I have worked with forums for closer to two decades.

I will be around from time to time to help with your questions. :)

- Cricket
Hi Cricket, nice to meet you :)

Is there any update on when we will be getting our old colour scheme back? It shouldn't be that hard to do a CSS colour skin. The old scheme was very easy to read, but neither of the current defaults are working for me. Light mode is way too bright even with my screen brightness right down, and in dark mode the contrast between background and text is much too jarring and it's hard to tell sections apart. Neither is comfortable to read, and both are a disaster for visually impaired people.

I am a professional IT admin so I'm used to staring at a screen all day and tailering views, and this new software now makes this the only site which strains my eyes within minutes of arriving.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd absolutely love to eventually see a selection of colour schemes available, including a legacy theme for the previous colours. 🙏 (While I can change the look on PC, if I want to use this site on mobile, I'm stuck with the two choices of bad and worse. 😬)

Also, if colour schemes are ever introduced, please, for the love of anything, don't make them available only for premium members. 😔

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
I have the brightness turned down and night mode on, but I’m still finding that eyes feel strained when using the site which is really odd as I don’t have this with other sites or apps. I’ve had a mild headache since yesterday evening which I’m beginning to appreciate may well be due to the this site. Surely it can’t be that difficult to have a darker background.

·
Administrator
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
@vsadmin, did you get anywhere with making the sticky threads in each forum look different from the normal threads (apart from the push pin image)? Like a different colour background for the title? It made it so much easier to look at on the old site.

And I still can't save my preferences.
For now, the sticky's are denoted with a pushpin and there is an increased space between the sticky's and the general thread listings in a forum. The spacing difference shown here. :)

Sky Automotive tire Font Display device Multimedia

Sky Font Technology Display device Electronic device

~Mike D

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Is there any update on when we will be getting our old colour scheme back? It shouldn't be that hard to do a CSS colour skin. The old scheme was very easy to read, but neither of the current defaults are working for me. Light mode is way too bright even with my screen brightness right down, and in dark mode the contrast between background and text is much too jarring and it's hard to tell sections apart. Neither is comfortable to read, and both are a disaster for visually impaired people.
I am having this exact same problem , if they can not do something about it I am afraid I will have to leave the forum which I really don't want to do .
I have enough problems with my eyes and migraines without inflicting it on myself by keep coming on here .

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I am using Google on windows 10 , that would be ok if I wanted to dim down everything on my computer , but the only issues I have are with the brightness on this site all other sites I use are fine and don't need adjusting. .
I'm the same, using google on windows 10 on my computer, only thing I can do is change my settings on my computer, which of course affects everything. I've been playing around with turning the blue light off and changing the level of that, but that didn't work for me in the end. So I've turned the blue light back on and set my brightness level down to the minimum, which hasn't helped on here, still can't stay on here for long without getting a headache. :( Also other sites are now too dark so I hope something can be sorted on here.

Reactions: Arny

·
Administrator
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
I've just tried to turn on night time on my PC (Windows 11) but it just tells me that "night time is off until 2100" so not much use to me as I'm only online during the day :rolleyes:
If you click on the hamburger menu in the top, right hand corner of the site here

Jaw Sleeve Font Screenshot Tree

That will open a drop-down menu where you can choose Dark Mode.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

~Mike D

341 - 360 of 632 Posts