Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

coming into season

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lymorelynn, Jun 30, 2009.

1. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Is it unusual for a young cat to have one season and then no more?
    Mai Tai started calling a couple of months ago but it only lasted two days. As it was her first season I wasn't worried but she has not come into season since then. She is now 10 1/2 months old and I was hoping to breed from her (she is on the active reg). She is the frist girl that I have not had spayed so I don't know if this is usual or not. Any advice please? :)

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Minnii had her frist season at 9 months (March) and then not another one until 17 months (October) then again 6 weeks later (late Nov) and then not until Jan and then finally in March when she got pregnant. They are all different - don't worry and she is young and it will happen yet.

3. lymorelynn

Staff Member

thanks for the reassurance Spid :) I never thought they'd be like us girls and begin in fits and starts :D
    The female cat we had when I was young seemed to be always pregnant so must have been in season frequently. people didn't bother about neutering then (I'm going back a good few years here :p) but we always managed to find homes for our kittens :)

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I think that cats are different really, like us! lol!
    Cant set your watch by them!! :D

I was chatting to someone whose girl called at 10 months then not again for a year!

5. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Mai Tai sounds nice and healthy to me. You don't want them calling madly before they are a year old and you want to mate them. Much better they have a nice relaxed calling pattern, with good breaks in between. Better for the cat as they do not lose condition from constant calling and better for you because you get a chance to plan everything :)

6. lymorelynn

Staff Member

thanks - I just assumed that once they started that was it :D Thank goodness it's not! When she was calling for the first time poor Gizmo was so bewildered he left home for two days :D

7. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

One of my girls didn't start calling until she was 13 months old and her daughter started at 6 months and she was a frequent caller - aaarrgghh! Pity those whose girls call every 2-3 weeks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice