Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Comic relief race row

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Interesting debate on This Morning earlier in the week surrounding the comments being made about Stacey Dooley posting a photograph of herself holding a black child to her social media whilst filming for Comic Relief

"Strictly's Stacey Dooley has been hit with criticism from Labour MP David Lammy as he accused her of encouraging a "white saviour" complex over her Comic Relief trip to Africa. We're joined by Dr Ranj and Vanessa Feltz to weigh in on the subject and also speak to David Lammy who reveals he refuses to work with Comic Relief."

Is this the beginning of the end for comic/sport relief? Will it change whether you donate or not?

Stacey Dooley has challenged MP David Lammy after he said "the world does not need any more white saviours" following her Comic Relief posts from Africa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47400300

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Been following this . Sky news had Trisha chat host agreeing with him , Its been said that Lammy was asked to do it at one time but refused but its not been confirmed if this is true.

I tweeted Lammy and asked If I make a donation does that make me a white saviour ? Didn't get a reply ! :D

Its a shame because everyone comes together to help these children and this type of comment causes divides.

No it wont change anything for me . I usually make a small donation from my mobile.

3. rottiepointerhouse

He talks about why he hasn't taken part in the This Morning video. I can kind of see his point about how things have moved on such as the renaming of certain charities so that their names don't cause offence but I wonder if this will deter celebs and sports stars from taking part in future. Instead of moaning perhaps Mr Lammy and Trisha could come up with an alternative idea and put the work in that Lenny Henry has over the years although I'm not clear if they are saying the money isn't needed anymore so stop raising it and giving.

AlexPed2393, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

5. rottiepointerhouse

Trisha making her point on GMB

kimthecat likes this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Well, if black Africans over here are going to to be that picky they don't want my money so they can get stuffed, I'm giving not give anymore, I'll keep my money for charities here.

AlexPed2393 and cheekyscrip like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t see how it makes any difference what colour the celebs are so long as they are raising awareness and encouraging donations from the UK.

Without the celebs’ films we wouldn’t be so informed of the issues/needs.

The argument that CR should use African celebs is daft as we wouldn’t know who they were! Well known faces encourage interest and donations.

I do agree, however, that no child’s face should be plastered over social media, but that’s easily solved with positioning the child to look away from the camera.

I took the “obsessed” quote just to mean that Stacey had been blown away by the country/people (maybe that child in particular) and everything that is happening for the good out there tbh.

There was an argument made that CR only show the negative side of Africa and not all the great, progressive things going on.

However, CR’s remit is to raise awareness of the issues affecting the citizens such as poverty, starvation, sickness etc. in order to raise money as well as showing the donor how their money is making a positive difference.

It isn’t there for any other reason.

It’s only involved because Africa isn’t solving these issues on their own :rolleyes:

If African’s don’t want white saviours being involved and taking the credit and “self rewarding PR” then maybe it’s time to leave them to it? They’ve managed so well without help in the past.....

I don’t donate to CR as it happens but concentrate on UK based charities.

I do, however, help a couple of animal charities in DomRep where I actually have seen where my money goes. I don’t think the animals see colour though ;)

8. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Shouldn’t people like Lammy and other offended celebrities and/or politicians ask the actual people affected if they were offended and view it as white saviour/colonialism and that kind of rubbish? Or are the Africans involved and whose charities benefit, too stupid and uneducated to decide for themselves and need people like Trisha and Lammy to be offended on their behalf and speak for them?

I suppose this is ok though. Meghan Markel’s mother is African American, so her hugging poverty stricken children in Rwanda is different. :rolleyes:

851717D7-013C-4B72-9AC4-3624205D8851.jpeg

I donate to Prince Fluffy Kareem which is an equine charity in Egypt. The horses and donkeys don’t care what colour I or the wonderful people who work there are either.

9. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

There's always an excuse to be offended nowadays it seems.

I haven't donated to children in need or comic relief since I was a kid at school. I'd rather choose my charity and know exactly who my money is going to.

Kim Watcham, mrs phas, rona and 3 others like this.
  10. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

I agree on the white saviour/voluntourism thing, it does more harm than good.
    Stacey Dooley is a bit of an irl Philomena Cunk imo but I don't think it's fair the kicking she's getting when she's doing something she was presumably asked to do for charity, the same thing countless slebs have done before. Maybe take it up with Comic Relief itself?

Vicbloss, bearcub, Jobeth and 2 others like this.
  11. rottiepointerhouse

irl Philomena Cunk

Please excuse me being thick but what does that mean? :Shamefullyembarrased

Elles likes this.
  12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I haven't read much about it but i did feel very uneasy about the pics posted by Stacey Dooley. However I also have a massive problem with multi millionaires preaching about charity to us mere mortals whilst gaining vast amounts of air time for self promotion.... I'm a cynical old bitch!!

LinznMilly, Pixel, Jobeth and 5 others like this.
  13. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I felt uneasy about the photo because the child she was holding looked scared but only for that reason.

Cleo38 and Elles like this.
  14. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

15. rottiepointerhouse

kimthecat likes this.
  16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Since it’s inception CR has raised £1billion, through Red Nose Day and Sport Relief to help people living incredibly tough lives.

People who aren’t being taken care of by their own governments/communities.

One of the two founders is black the other is white.

As I understand it, every penny of a donation goes to the good causes and the interest of monies held (as payments to projects are made in tranches) pay the running cost of the charity.

Throughout the years celebrities have raised awareness of the issues and causes needing funding.

Not sure how anyone can complain tbh :rolleyes:

17. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

To be honest it's not a new 'argument' although it's the first time that colour has been brought into it which gives it all a new slant. I remembered that the Band Aid song 'Do they know it's Christmas' (which I am not actually a big fan of) has come under pressure before for being patronising.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...g-bob-geldof-ebola-do-they-know-its-christmas

Quote from the article above
    So why does Band Aid 30 feel so patronising and uncomfortable?
    There exists a paternalistic way of thinking about Africa, likely exacerbated by the original (and the second, and the third) Band Aid singles, in which it must be “saved”, and usually from itself. We say “Africa” in a way that we would never say “Europe”, or “Asia”. <<>>The popular narrative always places those of us in the west in the position of benevolent elders, helping out poor Africans, mouths always needy and yawning, on their constantly blighted continent,

Personally I don't think it should be about the colour of the person involved - and in a way i am sorry that Stacey Dooley has come under fire as she actually has done a number of good documentaries. However, I do think that the whole approach should be looked at as the world has moved on quite a bit in 30 years ....but Comic Relief seems to be still stuck in 1985.

J

bearcub and Jobeth like this.
  18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

RND raised £38,195,278 last year so pretty successful and the current methods obviously work to raise money and help people - the whole point of it.

kimthecat and rona like this.
  19. rona

rona Still missing my boys

A little bit of racism going on there but because it comes from a person of colour, it's allowed :mad:

What a stupid occasion to use this objection, when it's raising millions for the most needy. That's self promotion if ever there was

It was always ok for Lenny to go I suppose :rolleyes:

davidc, cheekyscrip, Gemmaa and 4 others like this.
  20. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

For G*ds sake did any worry when Princess Diana held coloured or should I say black children who had aids, leprosy or injured by mines, isn't it the same, white woman trying to help Africa.:mad:

cheekyscrip, kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice