Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

comfort toys for bed time?? what is best?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emmaj89, Aug 11, 2011.

1. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

hi, i suppose i should be please that my 10 week old puppy hasnt destroyed anything in the house, yet! but when she goes to bed she will cry and howl anywhere between 10-25mins before settling down. she has a soft bed, which the last few days she has decided to eat, and a soft cuddle toy, which can squeak. i tried putting a rubber toy which you fill with food in the last couple of nights but she really doesnt seem to be to fussed about this. is there anything which will settle her quicker or is this just the norm for a puppy so young? she is kept in the kitchen over night which is open plan into the living room, we block the living room off with a fence quite like a baby gate, she can see everything thats going on so not closed in. she doesnt seem to have a problem with this though. she will also be happy to pee on the newpaper at the back door, however the other presants she leaves right in the middle of the floor, why would she do this?

any advice, big thanks

just want my pup and us to have a full nights sleep :)

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'd put a nice sweaty t-shirt that you have slept in in her bed.

Personally I had the crates by my bed - if they woke I would take them outside to the toilet, no fuss, no eye contact, no talking, just out and straight back in to bed once they had been (I felt this really helped with the house training) If they fussed I could reach down and put my fingers through the bars of the crate to comfort (again no fuss) until they fell back to sleep.
    Once they could hold all night I moved the crate to the end of the bed and once they were settled all night I moved the crate downstairs - where they have slept ever since without a sound.

To me a puppy is like one of my human babies - I had their cots next to my bed when they were tiny so they didn't get distressed until they could sleep through the night and I promise you they don't sleep in my bedroom now ;)

3. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

Lola has a t shirt of OH in her crate plus her bagpuss

You can put in a hotwater bottle as well

We have always had Lola in her crate in our bedroom, she sleeps all night now but before she did we used to set alarm at 3am to get her up for a wee then straight back down there was no interaction or nothing, i personally feel that with them in the bedroom they have the comfort of being close to you, i know a lot on here do the same and alot dont its a personal choice

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I slept on the sofa with Dillon in his crate just a few feet away with a small blanket and a small teddy, if he cried when we settled down I just told him to be quiet and after 5 or 10 minutes he would settle down. If he woke in the night I'd just take him out in the garden when he'd done a wee or poo I'd put him back in his crate and settle down again. We were lucky he only cried of a couple of nights.

5. r00fus

r00fus PetForums Junior

A ticking clock and a radio turned on quietly helps, but is not necessary. It's all about finding what works best for your dog and keeping it consistent, if you change every night or every couple of nights it will upset her. Is the paper you leave down bigg enough for wee's and poo's? As once she has done a wee she might not want to go back to that area to poo.

Crates are great, my dog had one and he cried on the first night then never again and only toileted once or twise. However dogs can be quite happy and well behaved without.

6. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

well i thought it was big enough, but maybe your right as the whole of the paper is full of wee by the morning, i shall try a larger area tonight :)

thanks everyone, we gave her a towel last nite which she was wrapped up in when we picked her up the first day and she gets cuddle in this with us also. 2mins of a little cry and she was out for the count sprawled on the towel, result!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice