UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you get colourpoint moggies (with both parents being moggies) or would one parent have to be some sort of pedigree to get that colouration? Don't worry - I aren't trying to breed some!

·
Registered
107 Posts
You certainly can. It's not common, because it's a recessive gene (meaning, a kitten has to get a copy of it from BOTH parents, which means there's a 1/4 chance of a kitten being a colourpoint if both parents are carriers), but I've seen some.

My local rescue has had three colourpoint moggie kittens this year. Unsurprisingly, they got all sorts of unsuitable applications for them from people who "want a discount Siamese". Rescue people say that remarkable cats are also remarkably difficult to rehome because of the interest they draw from people who really should not have the privilege of being a cat slave.

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,567 Posts
If the female is old enough she will be neutered before rehoming - ditto the males. At least they will if the rescue is one of the UK mainstream ones. And 'old enough' can mean at least 2 points, not at least 5 months.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If the female is old enough she will be neutered before rehoming - ditto the males. At least they will if the rescue is one of the UK mainstream ones. And 'old enough' can mean at least 2 points, not at least 5 months.
Indeed. With "being difficult to rehome" I didn't mean aspiring BYBs - all cats go to their new homes neutered. I meant people who want a "Siamese" cat to brag about and will be surprised and angry when they discover that their newest fashion accessory has *gasp* feelings, and needs care and attention!

There is also a bonded pair of siblings, one is a cp, the other an "ordinary" tabby. They are advertised for rehoming as a pair only, in big, visible letters, yet the rescue still gets calls about people wanting to adopt the cp only, or even people saying that they'll take both, only "the tabby will be living on a different location" (read: they'll get rid of him).

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,567 Posts
Can you get colourpoint moggies (with both parents being moggies) or would one parent have to be some sort of pedigree to get that colouration? Don't worry - I aren't trying to breed some!
The saying in breeding used to be 'reccesives are forever'. Gene testing has come along and now colourpoint can be eliminated from a line if desired, but of course in moggies you only need one colourpoint male to escape for a week and impregnant a female or females, and the unneutered cats in that area that are his grandchildren will start to produce the odd colourpoint kitten.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Indeed. With "being difficult to rehome" I didn't mean aspiring BYBs - all cats go to their new homes neutered. I meant people who want a "Siamese" cat to brag about and will be surprised and angry when they discover that their newest fashion accessory has *gasp* feelings, and needs care and attention!

There is also a bonded pair of siblings, one is a cp, the other an "ordinary" tabby. They are advertised for rehoming as a pair only, in big, visible letters, yet the rescue still gets calls about people wanting to adopt the cp only, or even people saying that they'll take both, only "the tabby will be living on a different location" (read: they'll get rid of him).
Apologies for misunderstanding what you meant. Isn't it amazing how shallow some people are. Can you imagine how we would feel if someone dismissed us due to our hair colour?

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Indeed you can. I currently care for three gorgeous pointed feral mogs: a mom and her son and daughter. The fourth sister is pitch black, lol, but equally gorgeous. Fortunately :p, mom cannot make any more of these gorgeous babies as I have now trapped and neutered all of them.

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
- sorry to hijack the thread guys - unlike cats - red can be carried in humans - it is recessive so you need two genes - one from each parent - so both you and hubby carry a red gene for your boy to be red.

I obviously have two red genes and hubby must carry red (his sister is red so we know it is in the family) and that's how we got two red headed kids.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.