Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

colouring your hair

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper PetForums Member

whats the best colourant for grey hair?

or is it better to get your hair high-lightened?

what do you do?:confused:

2. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Nothing, I do not have grey hair you cheeky mare :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

That's a tough one as different hair-types respond better to different products. A few questions for you:

1. What is your natural colour?
    2. Have you used colour ever before?
    3. Do you have a lot of grey or just a smidge?
    4. What is your hair type?

4. I have quite alot of grey hair and im only 29 :cryin:. I dye my hair all over with dark brown dye close to my natural colour but I have been thinking of adding some copper highlights.

5. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

ok its dark brown, quite thick, shoulder length - like to straighten it occasionally but wear it up a lot as i can be lazy and it looks neater. i have used products before but they don't cover the grey well and last at the most about 1-2 weeks before the grey is glaring back out at me.

its not a pretty grey and looks 'dirty' even when its clean....eeeegh :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

i am now fairly grey - iasked my kids and they were able to answer without looking!!!!! So its got to the point where i think i either 'go grey' or do something - its a necessity now.

the second picture along is like my greyness but i might be a little bit greyer!!! :eek: :eek: Henna for Hair

#5 Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Well I have very fine hair & my work colleague has very thick hair and we both use L'Oreal Recital Preference (the one in the bronzey box). I can usually get 2 full weeks where my hair looks good, week 3 the grey is popping through & by week 4 - well, just call me grandma!!!

I too am dark brown and have found that avoiding 'reds' will give you longer results. Reds just don't seem to 'take' so well and wash out quite quickly. I have finally settled on something that has a sort of honey tone to it. I use 'Virginia Chestnut Brown'.

This is a link to the website & shows you all the colours they do: Recital Preference hair colour: fade resistant, high shine hair colour from L'Oréal Paris

I did use the Davina McCall one for a while (can't remember what it is - I do now!! Nutrisse ) but felt it definitely wasn't lasting as long. I used Nice & Easy once & my hair felt like straw afterwards!!! :mad:

This is only my personal choice, I hope this helps. :)

#6 MoggyBaby, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  7. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I'm currently used clairol perfect 10, its actually on for 15mins as I've got a lot of grey (more grey than colour these days), and it comes with a comb thing attached which makes it easier to apply. :D It usually lasts for about 4wks before you notice the grey roots starting to show. You need a permanant colour rather than the semi-perm ones (they wash out). I tend to use the dark blonde ones, but they fade/lighten with the sun and swimming. I love red colours but they fade quite quickly, although I have been told to use shampoo for red hair as it would help to maintain the colour. So I may go red again just to see what happens, getting fed up of being blonde.

8. Bandy

Bandy Banned

This is like eaves dropping on women talk..

I've got nothing useful to offer but for some strange reason, the topic is interesting.

:eek:

9. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Admit it, you're worried about going grey, and looking for some tips other than using "Just for Men". :lol: :lol:

10. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

:lol:

wanting to try henna from lush but concerned i might end up looking like a parrot!!!:eek:

11. Bandy

Bandy Banned

Hahaha...nooooo.

I've dirty blonde hair...and even at my age still hasn't shown gray. My beard, when I let one grow shows it though. Gotta admit, it was a bit unsettling finding the first...then another and another.

But, I'm the kinda guy that will just age gracefully.

If they can get past the shock of seeing my mug to see gray hair on my head, the won't mind it when they see it.
    :D

12. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I would say to just use a small amount to start with, but as you say you have thick hair I don't think a small amount would do anything. But henna is'nt permanant is it. In which case give it a whirl, you can always spend the whole of the next week in the shower. :blink: Or start a new trend for headscarves. :D

Thats just it though, men are allowed to go grey, women under a certain age i.e. 70 are expected to have coloured hair otherwise they're thought of as not taking care of themselves. :( Plus I'm not ready to admit to the world that I'm grey yet. :rolleyes:

13. Bandy

Bandy Banned

I think if social pressures were taken off of women, men would live happier lives.

:D

14. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Nah.............we'd just find something else to make you miserable. ;) :D

15. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Oh and while I think about it, hair colour takes better on dirty hair, then leave it for as long as possible after colouring before washing your hair again.

Speaking of which I need to shift my butt and put my own colour on, my hair has been unwashed for five days now and its making me feel manky. :eek:

16. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

I'm good at hair, mines always crazy colour :D
    like this

Attached Files:

17. Bandy

Bandy Banned

You're coloring your BUTT hair?

:D:D

18. Bandy

Bandy Banned

God bless the men that can take it with a smile.

19. I find home dye (whatever the brand) fades alot quicker than having it done at the hairdressers. This is because hairdressers use a stronger dye so i was told. Obviously though its more expensive. I prefer to have mine done at the hairdressers otherwise i end up tinting the bathroom as well as my hair, ears etc :lol::lol:

20. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Does it?? I was told the opposite... Now I'm confused :confused:

I was also told to wash my hair (on the day of colouring) with either Fairy Liquid (or equivalent, no brand dropping around here!!) or a strong dandruff shampoo to strip away shampoo & conditioner residue to ensure the colour can get into the shaft of the hair.

Is all of this baloney & home colour is basically just sh*te??? :eek: :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice