UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
i do love polecat markings the best if i'm honest :) dkdream, i was told my oscar was half polecat half ferret, would you say that was correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
i do love polecat markings the best if i'm honest :) dkdream, i was told my oscar was half polecat half ferret, would you say that was correct?
what they would mean is he is half wild polecat and half domestic, this is just a sales gimick so you think hes more special, Oscar is a very nice Dark Polecat or as they are being sold European Polecat

·
Registered
182 Posts
haha thankyou for your explaination :D ive had the breeder tell me that about him and many people discussing him after, thankyou for clearing this up :)

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
haha thankyou for your explaination :D ive had the breeder tell me that about him and many people discussing him after, thankyou for clearing this up :)
No worries at all, he is a nice looking ferret, a bit small in build but thats just personal choice other then that he is nice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I left him until 1 year until i neutered him, he weighed 6 pounds at the time - quite a chunky monkey but since hes been neutered in march last year hes shrank a lot, gone slender and much smaller...its interesting the changes they get :p

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I left him until 1 year until i neutered him, he weighed 6 pounds at the time - quite a chunky monkey but since hes been neutered in march last year hes shrank a lot, gone slender and much smaller...its interesting the changes they get :p
I never neuter (apart from rescues) so I can't really offer an opinion why he has went so much smaller. I didn't mean any offence at all in my comment, he is a nice ferret

·
Registered
182 Posts
ohh dont worry, non was taken :) i'm just interested in the changes they make with neutering and coat changes, i think they are ever changing animals arnt they? haha. I can only assume they change when neutered because they dont need the stamina and strength with breeding anyone, i hear they spend quite a long time dragging the jill before breeding if thats correct? i wouldnt expect oscar to manage that now at all, he needs his mummy to start on cutting up raw chicken to encourage him to eat! :p

·
Registered
182 Posts
the difference from what ive heard myself its complecated isnt it? or maybe i'm slightly dense :p but theres a lot flying around of polecat and polecat marked ferrets, i only assume the polcats take on the wild polecats features like the white tipped ears, white patch on mouth, black-brown nose, dark coat etc :confused:

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
ohh dont worry, non was taken :) i'm just interested in the changes they make with neutering and coat changes, i think they are ever changing animals arnt they? haha. I can only assume they change when neutered because they dont need the stamina and strength with breeding anyone, i hear they spend quite a long time dragging the jill before breeding if thats correct? i wouldnt expect oscar to manage that now at all, he needs his mummy to start on cutting up raw chicken to encourage him to eat! :p
Males will drag the female by her neck and hold her in a position until he has finished his deed with her. awww he seems spoilt, mine get chicken wings whole i make them chew it up themselves

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
the difference from what ive heard myself its complecated isnt it? or maybe i'm slightly dense :p but theres a lot flying around of polecat and polecat marked ferrets, i only assume the polcats take on the wild polecats features like the white tipped ears, white patch on mouth, black-brown nose, dark coat etc :confused:
yeah your right and a lot of people lie about it to sell them, as it is actually illegal to trap and breed polecats, hence why i just call them dark polecats as that is what they are to me.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
ok thanx so would it be correct to think that ferrets could not ever have black noses..ever? Why?

Are polecats bigger?
ferrets can have black noses but they wont be as strong unless selectively bred. I dont think there is any difference, usually wild polecats are smaller and are more aggressive. it is actually quite hard to tell if a ferret has pure polecat in it (wild) as not all wild polecats have a black nose, its more to do with selective breeding

·
Registered
182 Posts
ah really? i wouldnt see the point in lying about the babies if i was a breeder dont you think? i personally favour the polecat look but thats just me out of how many weasel lovers, wow it sounds of a violent thing them breeding i have to say :eek: yes hes very spoilt so to speak - he was kibble fed as a kit and i was told that may affect him wanting raw meat but expensive as it was its very worth the effort into encouraging him, teeth and all do benefit dont they? :) mind you i do wish it was as easy feeding it to him as yours seem to warm up to it! i bet feeding times an interesting time? :D

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
One colour that has came about that is totally un natural is the "Black self ferret" these are polecat x mink to get the rich black colour, a lot have a bluey/green tinge in the eyes. it is believed that its caused through inbreeding

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
ah really? i wouldnt see the point in lying about the babies if i was a breeder dont you think? i personally favour the polecat look but thats just me out of how many weasel lovers, wow it sounds of a violent thing them breeding i have to say :eek: yes hes very spoilt so to speak - he was kibble fed as a kit and i was told that may affect him wanting raw meat but expensive as it was its very worth the effort into encouraging him, teeth and all do benefit dont they? :) mind you i do wish it was as easy feeding it to him as yours seem to warm up to it! i bet feeding times an interesting time? :D
if they just call them dark polecats they get £25 a kit if they say European polecat they can ask 50, that is the difference. Kibble is good to help put weight on them but the raw meat is great for keeping teeth clean and the jaws strong. They also love sardines in sunflower oil.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.