Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Colour quess

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Furbabymum18, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Furbabymum18

Furbabymum18 PetForums Newbie

We're expecting kittens any day now the mum is a tuxedo from tuxedo mum and pure black dad her mate was a black and white medium coat moggy uknown on his parents what possible colours could the litter be thanks

2. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

If you’re certain he’s the dad, both parents are black and white, so all kittens will be black and white. If the mother and both her parents are shorthair, the kittens are all probably going to be shorthair, as well, as she has a relatively low chance of carrying the longhair gene. There’s also a small chance both of them are carrying other recessive genes like dilute or points, but the chances are good all kittens will be black and white like the parents.

Are you planning to have her spayed after this litter? Be careful to keep her inside and away from any resident intact males, as queens can call very soon after giving birth, and getting pregnant again so soon will be very tough on her.

Furbabymum18 likes this.
  3. Furbabymum18

Thank you ☺️ yes she will be spayed after the kittens are weaned I've already spoken to my vets about it no more babies for her I'm just so excited for their arrival now

Maurey likes this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Black & white or plain black. Varying amounts of white possible. An outside chance is a blue or blue & white but probably not.

Remember she can get pregnant again while feeding kittens so keep her in until she is spayed.

Furbabymum18 likes this.
  5. Furbabymum18

Yes I will be keeping a very close eye on her and as soon as she's weaned her babies she'll be in for spaying I don't want her getting pregnant again

6. Furbabymum18

The male is more white then black and it's more of a dark grey then black I'd say but he's becoming a menace in the local neighborhood he actually made his way in to my home and sprays on several occasions and a few other local houses too no one knows if he has owners we've put up local posts about him it's really quite frustrating as that's how he got my girl in my own bloody house through a small top window god knows how but that's the only way in my girl can't quite get out of the small windows yet and she's not been out side got to say it did take me back greeted by him sat on my kitchen floor I wasn't sure at first if they had mated as they were sat just staring at each other but 2 months later and here we are ready to give birth

7. OrientalSlave

Contact your local rescues to find one you can borrow a trap from. Once he's trapped get him castrated.

And remember, if he can get in your house through a small top window so can other males, or your girl could escape through it.

Maurey likes this.
  8. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

Do you have a photo of the probable dad? If he’s mostly white, he’s probably got two copies of the white spotting gene, which means none of the kittens should be solid black.

9. OrientalSlave

Could be more than one father, and although that's the theory of white spotting it doesn't always work out that way

Maurey likes this.
  10. Furbabymum18

That's a good thought actually because he's forever hanging around my garden spraying I do keep all windows shut now since that day I couldn't believe it never known such a cheeky cat , but I agree he needs catching and taking care of it's not fair

11. Furbabymum18

I don't think it could be I'm certain it's him she's not left the home she can't reach the window that was open either he's the only tom I've seen near the home apart from my neighbors tom but he's been done , I will try find a pic of him I did have one
    Thanks for the info on colours, I am pretty sure he's the culprit though as of that day no windows were left I haven't had any other toms lurking in the area and my girl can't reach the window that was left open but who knows I didn't see the actual act

12. Furbabymum18

Just to let you know she had her babies early hours of this morning she had 3 little babies 2 are black tuxedo and the other black and white patches I will upload photos when they are settled mums doing great

lymorelynn and Nicola234 like this.
  13. Furbabymum18

Could I ask for a bit of advice please , mum seems quite happy to keep leaving babies on their own while coming down to sit with me is this normal I take her back to her babies she will feed them and stay but as soon as I come out she will come back to find me should I stay with them I don’t want to invade her space but if she’s not staying with them I don’t want them to get cold , is this a sign of stress or is this normal tia

14. OrientalSlave

If they cry does she go? Does she feed them every couple of hours? If there a heat pad in the bed?

15. Furbabymum18

I've not heard them cry yet when she's been down as I take her back up she's been feeding every few hours yes it seems quite constant there is no heat pad I'm waiting on one to arrive through post but I could put a hot water bottle in there

16. OrientalSlave

She is more likely in this weather to be too hot than too cold. Kittens need feeding every 2 hours or more often. What does 'I take her back up' mean?

17. Furbabymum18

I'm worried that she's stressed or something as shouldn't she just stay in there only come out for toilet and food she currently sat under my daughter's bed in a separate room the kittens are asleep I've put hot water bottle in there for warmth I will just keep a close eye on them

18. Furbabymum18

I just walk up stairs and she follows she goes back in to the kitten nest on her own I will sit with her then I try leave but then she will come back down , but like I said she's currently sat under bed on her own the kittens seem fine

19. OrientalSlave

Shut her in with them. Does she go to them you make them cry? Have you weighed them?

20. OrientalSlave

there is a possibility she has retained some placenta. Weigh kittensin grams ASAP and see 8f the squekingmzkesher come. If it does weigh them again tomorrow. If not ring your vet.

Furbabymum18 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice