Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

colour genetics

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by we love bsh's, Mar 30, 2011.

1. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

jus though we cud start a new thread on this. I think iv gt my head round this a lil now, so if we have a blue-tabby cp queen mating with a cream cp stud does this mean you will get females;blue/cream. males;cream or blue and tabbies and are all those cp's

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

For anyone just starting out with British and trying to get their head around genetics - colour genetics particularly - I'd highly recommend you have a read of the new British Shorthair Breeding Policy. 'Dozymoo' kindly put a link on here (somewhere!) to it... I'll try to find the thread for you, but a general search on the 'net will find it. It is still in draft form, it is very long and, genetics seeming a bit of a tough subject, it might look confusing at first. But it's beautifully written and contains a wealth of information.

The good thing, of course, is that it's breed specific and I personally think it's a bit of a bible for anyone who breeds/shows BSH. I wish it had existed when I started breeding; I spent years with one book which ended up in tatters from overuse, trying to get my head round it :)

3. we love bsh's

thanx your right it take some getting used to 'messyhearts' was very helpful yesterday explaining very well taylorbaby was great at explaining too.sorry dont know ur real names:D

4. we love bsh's

;)just searched and found that site and iv already been on that 1 before honestly iv been on them all id say.Id say its all falling into place now im starting to feel like its 'easy when you know how' but the more its discussed the surer i will be.If its something that interests you you do learn dont ya

5. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

GSkinner123 is right, the new British Shorthair Breeding Policy is really helpful. It is still being updated but the information is very indepth, and although it is specific to Brit's, the basics could be applied for other breeds. I've found it a very interesting and thorough piece of writing.

Just click on the Breeding Policy tab at the below site and download the PDF!

Home - British Shorthair BAC

It is also a great source of information for best practices, detailing which matings are and are not recommended in British Shorthairs.

:)

6. we love bsh's

yeah iv been on there but when i click on breeders policy it puts me to my adobe reader or something to technical:confused: I have a new question if any1 can help,iv been talking with a lady and she has a lilac tortie tabby female with has been put to a chocolate cp; he carries lilac point,blue point,lilac tortie point,lilac self, red point:eek: what colours are possible from this?

7. gskinner123

I dare you to take another read of the breeding policy and come back and tell us the answer :D

The choc CP male cannot carry some of the colours you mention, even though they are in his pedigree as some colours simply cannot be "carried" by another. He can carry the dilute of chocolate, which is lilac. It matters not that he has non-cp ancestors as he, himself, is a CP. The CP gene is recessive to (i.e. may be carried by) self - so you can have a non-cp cat carrying CP but not a CP carrying self. (Boy, I'm rubbish at explaining things).

Colours of kittens from the mating you've mentioned would depend entirely upon whether the female carries CP; whether the male carries dilute; whether the male is masking classic or spotted (or even ticked) tabby. It will also depend if the female is homozygous or heterozygous for 'tabby'. That simply means if she has two copies of the 'tabby' gene she will only ever produce tabby cats; if she has one copy for self, then she can produce both tabby and non-tabby kittens. Totally depending on all/any combination of those factors female kittens would be chocolate, chocolate tortie, lilac and lilac tortie, whether self, cp, or tabby of some form. Males - chocolate, lilac, red and cream, again whether self, cp, tabby.

I've managed to confuse even myself with all that :)

8. we love bsh's

lol,ok then this lady must not know a great deal either as this is what she told me, i havent the heart to tell her this tho:p

#8 we love bsh's, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  9. gskinner123

Oh. What colours does she expect to have?

10. we love bsh's

i asked her she sed she dint no then sed that about the male carryin all those colours:rolleyes::

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice