Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Colour genetics?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Cat_Crazy, May 12, 2010.

1. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Hi everyone

Have been asked for some advice on colour predictions and not sure if I am right so thought you could help.

The mother is a blue point and carries chocolate (both parents were colourpoint).

The father is a solid cream possibly carrying chocolate also ? (both parents solid).

Am I correct in thinking that as cream is part of the red series all female kittens will be tortie and males could be cream or chocolate or is that just Birmans?

Also will any be colourpoint or all solid? Again if I am correct the colourpoint gene is recessive so as the father does not carry it will they all be solid?

They are BSH by the way.

Thanks

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

If dad doesnt carry it they wont have any colourpoints

& on the ragdoll website if mum is a seal tortie carrying blue & dads red you can get:
    The litter should contain SEAL and BLUE POINT males; RED and CREAM POINT males; SEAL TORTIE POINT and BLUE TORTIE POINT, and RED and CREAM POINT females

I dont know if this helps or confuses things further!!!

Just found a BSH colour predictor and it says: boys blue & blue girls blue cream?!
    http://www.britishbluekittens.com/color.html

#2 Taylorbaby, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Chocolate is not possible from this mating. Lilac is possible if both parents carry chocolate (cream can be blue or lilac based). Yes, all girls will be tortoiseshell. The males will all be non-red colours - so no creams. Colourpoint is only possible if Dad carries it.

Liz

#3 lizward, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Is there absolutely no way at all that C/P can come from one cat?? Is it extremely rare but possible that a queen can have C/P's even thoguh she only has the genes?

5. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

No, it has to come from both sides.

Liz

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

This is what completely baffles me! I had them in my moggie litters and both queen and tom were proper mogs. What is the odds of them both having the C/P gene!! Its madness!! Of all the moggies over here the Tom chosen had the blimming gene! Crazy!

Ok, i guess i have just have to get over it and get used to it! :lol:

CC hun, i hope you friends cats have a good birth. Keep us updated! Sorry to go off topic i am still getting my head around it over a year later! LOL!!!

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

i would say it must be because of your location. Small island and smaller genepool in the moggies. In such a small population one escaped CP cat could easily spread his/her genes widely through the population within a couple of years.

8. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

This is my guess to the OP

1 - assuming dad DOES NOT carry CP
    Boys:
    lilac
    Blue

Girls:
    Blue cream
    Lilac cream

If Both parents carry the CP gene then you would have CP kittens in the above colours.

Please remember i am still very much learning in the colour genetics thing. So i may be way off the mark!

9. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice, helps a lot.

Dad defiantely does not carry colourpoint so all solid kittens.

I thought all the girls would be tortie but friend seems to think she will get cream girls.

The conversation came up as she said she was hoping for a cream girl to keep and I was :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice